Florence 7 days what are a must do?

Old Jul 12th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence 7 days what are a must do?

Hi I spent 1 day in Florence back in 2012. My husband has never been. We are going in late Feb 2018 and will base there 7 nights. What are some must see things you recommend. We will not have a car. We do plan to spend a day in Lucca as that is where my family comes from. We also are considering a train ride and overnight in Venice as neither of us have ever been there. Do you think a overnight stay is necessary? Would a day trip to Milan be doable or to far? Is San gimigiano recommended? What is best way to get from Airport FLR to city center? Any info advice is wonderful. Thank you!!
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 06:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There is a shuttle bus from Florence airport to the center/train station for about 6€ per person (about a 15 minute ride). Taxis are a set fee of about 22€ so you might prefer that instead of the bus and then having to get to your hotel. Where are you staying?

Lucca can be reached by bus or train (about 1 1/2 hours one way). Easy walk across the street from the station to the walled in portion of Lucca. After commuter hours, trains won't run as often. You might want to get to Lucca early as things can close in the afternoons (1-3 or so). From Lucca (if you get bored), you can catch a train on to Pisa (about 30 minutes) if you want to see the tower. The return trains from Pisa to Florence will be a bit more frequent and run later (midnight or so with travel time about 1 hour).

It's 2 hours one way to Venice on the fast trains so an overnight would make sense. Milan is about 2 hours and Rome is 90 minutes. I would concentrate more on things around Florence than trying to visit cities 2 hours away unless you have something you absolutely must see.

San G is not so easy by public transport, but not impossible. You would take a bus (Sita) or train to Poggibonsi and switch to the bus to San G (no train station in San G). Make sure of return times so you don't get stuck in San G for the night.

Another easy visit from Florence is Siena. The rapid bus (bus drops at the historic center, the train is further away) to Siena takes about 70 minutes. Bologna is also an easy day trip as it's about 30 minutes by fast train.
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 06:41 AM

>>What are some must see things you recommend. >What is best way to get from Airport FLR to city center?
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 07:36 AM

If you are fans of Renaissance art and architecture, then Florence has enough to fill many days.

If not, I'd seriously consider at least one overnight in Venice, one of the most beautiful and romantic cities in the world. One issue: Venice can suffer from acqua alta in the winter, when high tides flood the lower parts of the city. Check the tide forecast and pick a hotel that's in a dry zone. Here's a map to help you: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...nice-animation
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 09:34 AM

Vincenzo has about the exact gameplan I'd do.
Daytrip to Siena and the rest in Florence.

If you're not the type to spend a whole day in a museum, I'd:

-Choose a hotel near the train station.
-Arrive, taxi to the hotel, (don't check in), have them hold your bags for a day.
-Take a small carry-on bag & hop on the train to Venice.
-Dinner in Venice, spend the next exploring Venice
-Hop on the last train back to Florence for the duration.
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 10:19 AM

Chop a few days off Florence and put into Venice! IMO -at least 2 nights -besides getting off the main beaten path - very possible and yielding a calm and romantic Venice relatively few tourists get to and also can do boat rides to the lagoon islands.

Book trains far in advance for Florence to Venice for neat discounts- www.trenitalia.com - Italian Railways official site - regional trains like Firenze to Lucca just buy on day of travel -no discounts for pre-booking and no seat reservations even possible- flat fare dirt cheap.

For lots on trains check also www.seat61.com (adroit advice on booking discounted tickets); www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Consider taking a bus to Siena also -just about an hour.

In Florence trek up to Fiesole for great views over Florence far below and to visit stellar Roman ruins.
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 10:40 AM

If you're into the Renaissance or art or architecture, a week in Florence is about right. That would give you time to see Lucca and Siena--and if you run out of things to do, possibly Bologna. We spent a week there years ago, took only one day trip--to Siena--and still didn't see everything we would have liked to.
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 12:00 PM

Bologna is just about an hour away by train and to me is a real gem!

Great day trip!
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

We are booking a one day excursion to Siena, Chianti farmhouse for wine and lunch and San Gimigiano. I think we will do one day to Lucca and Pisa and Venice will be 2 days. Any other places you all can recommend? Also thank you for the train info I will be sure to book ahead to Venice! Is first class preferred?
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 06:56 PM

It may not be for you, but one thing in Florence that is a "do not miss" for me is Santa Croce. Besides the history, it is unique and beautiful! It doesn't even take much time. Do some reading about it first so your visit is more meaningful.

In winter, I would not bother with Fiesole. Unless it is warm enough to sit out and perfectly clear with no haze, it is not worth it, IMHO.
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 07:05 PM
kja

What do YOU want to see and experience there? I had 6 days in Florence, and never left the city, instead treasuring the art and architecture of that glorious city from the moment I got up until there was, quite literally, nothing else I could do -- and I would have loved more time there!

I urge you to get a good guidebook and see what most interests YOU. In comparison to the cost of your trip, the cost of a guidebook will be nugatory, and you will have a wealth of information at your fingertips. For that matter, you can consult one at a local library or book store....
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 06:08 AM

Heartily second KJA's comments. Only you know what things you like to do and see, and a good guidebook or three can show you where they are as well prevent your spending time going to places that won't interest you.

One thing that really interested us in Florence--as we like to tour old homes-- is the Museo di Palazzo Davanzati, Via Porta Rossa, 13. You can get a really good idea of how a wealthy (but not Medici wealthy) merchant lived back in the day, and it doesn't take long to see it.
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 06:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
By one count, there are more than 70 museums in Florence. Before you start peeling off days for other places, you should decide what you want to see in Florence and how much time you'll need there. FYI, not everything is open every day, so you need to plan your sightseeing. To save yourselves from standing in long lines, I suggest you buy entry tickets in advance for any site that offers the service.

http://www.museumsinflorence.com/

We've spent a month in Florence over multiple trips, and there are still things we want to see/do.