FLORANCE CAR DROP OFF / CITY CENTER OR AIRPORT

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because of the possible train strike of May 12-13 we have a backup plan for a car rental from Venice to Florance with Auto Europe. We can drop the car off at the Airport or City Center. We have heard that driving in Florence is hectic. Should we drop at Airport?? Is the airport far from the city center?? Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:39 PM

The airport is in Peretola, about 30 minutes from the Centro. Taxis are available from there and it will probably cost you around $20 (well, I lived in Florence for a few years, but I left right before they took the Euro so it could be more now). Whenever I have rented a car in Florence, I've gotten it/dropped it off in town. Most of the car rental places are located in the Centro, but more on the outskirts so you won't have to drive on any narrow medieval streets. The airport would not be terribly inconvenient though.
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! 30 mins. out of City Center is farther than I had thought. The city drop off is close to the train station and to our Hotel. I hope they give us a detailed map with the rental. I tried mapquest but it seems very complicated with lots of turns!!! Wish us luck. I hope the trains do not go on strike to simplify this trip!!!
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:35 PM

The Auto Europe drop off is outside the city center "across the river", so not too bad to get to. Our hotel (Hotel David) was on that side of town also, so we dropped our luggage and got detailed directions as to how to get to the auto drop-off...It was a Saturday and many of the streets were closed (?), so this was very helpful info. In general, we found that signs were much more helpful than maps!
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:33 PM

We usually opt for city pickup/dropoff as opposed to airport (mostly because it's cheaper, but often more convenient). Make arrangements for parking in Florence, perhaps through your hotel. The last time we were there we stayed at Hotel Casci and they were kind enough to reserve parking for us. When we arrived at the hotel (finally--we kept going around in circles and missing the street we were supposed to turn on) our car was picked up. We spent our time in Florence without the car, and on the day we left the car was returned to the hotel. It was great not to be bothered with it while we were in Florence. I can't remember what we paid, but it was worth every lira (at the time).