Flights to and from Spain from Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2015, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (both 28 years old) will be traveling to Spain in March/April of 2016. We are leaving Chicago on March 23rd (flying into Barcelona) and returning April 2nd (flying out of Madrid). So far i have been checking Orbitz, but are there any other websites that have good deals on flights from the U.S. to Spain? I really would love to get our flights for $1,000 round trip (per person price), but don't know if there is a better place to look and when the best time to book is.

Thank you!
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 07:00 AM

Try checking the airlines own sites; American Airlines, Iberia and Delta, to begin with.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 07:11 AM

As far as picking the best day to purchase your tickets, the last I heard was Wednesday, but that will change tomorrow. The best time to buy tickets is when the seats you want become available. Typically, the airlines offer only a few seats a low prices. The longer you wait, the fewer seats there are to select from, and the prices tend to creep up. Remember, airlines are flying nearly full, and making records profits.

It you want something cheap, you fly in the back of the plane. Good luck in your quest.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 08:14 AM

All the travel websites have pretty much have the same fares, which are the regular airline fares. I just use them for convenience, to start comparing. I prefer Kayak, but they are all probably the same. None of them are going to offer great fares that they somehow got and no one else did. Kayak does have a few supposed ticket discounters on it, though. You may not have the same rights with those tickets, though.

Right now, there are fares available around $1060, I would hope Orbitz shows them as they are regular fares on Iberia and BA/AA, through London. Other than that, I wouldn't count on it unless you want Turkish Air and to spend a day or two on the flight due to layovers in Istanbul.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 11:47 AM

air lingus seems to have good rates. one advantage is you may have direct immigration for USA at Dublin airport when departing, which is a god send.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 05:01 AM

Compare these sites:
www.cheapoair.com
www.hipmunk.com
www.expedia.com

My impression is that Orbitz has faded in the last few years.
www.momondo.com was recently lauded by this board's rival Frommers.

Agencies can put together itineraries for several airlines when those carriers don't sell each other's flights. Otherwise, I agree with Robert's post that buying direct from airlines is the most efficient tactic.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 05:33 AM

Since you have very specific dates you need to go, I suspect that you are not going to do much better. If you had a day or two of flex, it might open up other lower fares. Have you looked for tickets where you reverse your itinerary, into Madrid and out of Barcelona? It might change prices.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 07:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
It is beat to book sifectly with the airlines. If there are any problems, they will take care of you better than if booked theough a third party.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 08:33 AM

I've been using google.com/flights/ and getting the best fares!