Authentic Italian Experience

Old Sep 28th, 2015, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Authentic Italian Experience

Wise FoforsTravelers, I need your advice and suggestions!

Myself and my partner fly into Leonardo da Vinci International Airport, FCO on a cold November Saturday morning and leave late on a Tuesday evening. I've read so many reviews my brain is overloaded and I'm doubting what to book and where to travel to.

The plan is, there is no plan, yet! I was thinking of staying in Fiumicino that Saturday night in Domus Lina B&B and eating that evening at L'Osteria Dell'Orologio The next part of the plan was to visit Rome City for one night as we've been before.

Is Fiumicino worth a one night stay?
Is Ostia Antica worth a visit?
What other villages, towns that are accessible via public transport that are totally worth a visit??

Many thanks!!
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 04:59 AM

Both Ostia Antica, the small town, and ruins at Ostia (known as Ostia Scavi) are fascinating place. I would recommend a dinner or lunch at Il Monumento for an "authentic" experience.

However, Fiumicino town is really very small, and most of its life goes on during the summer months, when people enjoy the fish restaurants and some outdoor seating. I think in November you are going to find it dark and a bit shuttered.

I don't know how easy it is to get to Sabaudia using public transportation, and in November it would also be a quiet place, since it is right on the seaside, but you might check it out.

All of the Mediterranean coast of Italy runs a very high risk of torrential rain in November. You might be better positioned for indoor activity and even day trips to Ostia Antica if you stayed in the Testaccio neighborhood of Rome -- with no real "loss" to authenticity of experience.
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 05:11 AM

If it means spending a full day in Fiumicino, I don't think it's worth spending the night there. Ostia Antica is certainly worth a visit. Although I've been there four times and still haven't seen everything, I don't think I could spend a full day there; I'm usually pretty tired after about three hours. And if it should be cold and rainy, you might be tired even sooner.

In addition, although Fiumicino town and Ostia Antica are near each other, they're not well connected by public transportation. Rome is a transportation hub, and you'd almost have to go into Rome and back out again, or go to the airport and back out from there.

There are plenty of towns that are easily reached from Rome. What sorts of things interest you?

I've been to Rome more times than I can count, and I still haven't seen everything there that I want to see. There's plenty in Rome for all tastes. November is a great time to go, because the crowds will have vanished.
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Wow, such a quick reply! Thank you both sandralist and bvlenci

Since reading your replies I've decided to hirer a car!! I've dropped the idea of staying in Flumicino. Instead we'll stay at the Hotel Sirenetta in Ostia that Saturday night and visit Ostia Antica that day. Have yet to decide where to eat but intrigued about Il Monumento!

So that's the first day covered. Now that I've a car and don't mind driving 1hr max, what do you lovelies suggest? Frascati worth a visit? As we are going out of season we don't want to be the only ones in the restaurant/hotel/village... so perhaps Rome centre is worth a visit.. but do I dare drive there??!!
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 02:53 AM

"Myself and my partner fly into Leonardo da Vinci International Airport, FCO on a cold November Saturday morning . . . ."

Umm, no need to be pessimistic.

We spent the first week in December in Rome a couple of years ago with temperatures in the 70's F. There were brief thunderstorms several days but our biggest problem was staying hydrated while sweating our way through the Forum. We were dressed for cooler weather, and 74 is a summer temperature where we live in New England.

As I reported elsewhere, we have had short sleeve weather in Paris in November.

Your Mileage May Vary!
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 03:20 AM

I don't think you want to drive in Rome center, and I'm not sure how much you want to drive the via Ostiense either. Don't mean to alarm you, but it is notoriously the road in Rome with the worst traffic accident incidence.

Despite the sunny report from Ackislander's one experience of Rome in early November, it has in recent years rained so hard during the first week in Rome that there was flooding in many places in the city and on the highways. Serious flooding.

So if you are keeping the car, I would suggest, after visiting Ostia Antica, driving out to somewhere in Tuscany or Umbria or inner Lazio where you can get a nice Sunday lunch (only the coastal areas will be lonely and shuttered) and do some interesting sightseeing. Somewhere around Orvieto or Chiusi would work, or even Montepulciano.

However, my real recommendation is that you drop the idea of the car and instead take a taxi to Ostia Antica. After seeing Ostia Antica, relocate to Testaccio (a quick commuter train ride). From Testaccio, you have lots of options via public transportation to smaller towns around Rome -- and if you do get buckets of rain, you can amuse yourselves in Rome and easily get back to the airport for your flight.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 03:29 AM

This was Rome last year on Nov 6

http://roma.corriere.it/notizie/cron...?refresh_ce-cp
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 03:31 AM

Just to be clear, I was suggesting a night in Ostia Antica, and dinner at Il Monumento and seeing Ostia Scavi. On your second day, relocate.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 03:34 AM

There is no sense in staying in Fiumicino unless you have a paramount personal reason to do so. Go to Rome as quick as possible, settle in a hotel and adapt your visit to the weather conditions. You do not need a car to visit Rome, and normally you will be absorbed by Rome during your entire stay as you will be there hardly 4 days.
If not, public transportation will bring you to Ostia Antica, or whatever you may want to see.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 11:57 AM

Great picture, sandra! What a nightmare!

As they say in the investment business, "Past performance does not guarantee future results," and it's just as true with weather!
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 08:08 AM

With a car consider Tarquinia, one hour up the coast from Ostia Antica, with the Etruscan burial site on the outskirts and a very nice center with museum and good restaurants. Here are some pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougla...40291643/page3
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 08:11 AM

You can also take a train to Tarquinia very easily from Rome, and don't really need one once you are in town.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 08:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you fly in with jet lag I'd stay in Rome, driving around Italian roads with jet lag..... what an idea