Flight to UK Apr 22nd - any hope?

Old Apr 18th, 2010, 05:30 AM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight to UK Apr 22nd - any hope?

I'm trying to decide if we should stay optimistic that we will get to Scotland this week - or just cash it in for now. We are scheduled to leave Boston on the 22nd, into Heathrow on the 23rd, then onto Edinburgh - on BA. Sometimes I think it will get done, other times I think that it's foolish to underestimate the severity of this situation, and maybe we have to go to plan B. Anyone out there optimistic??
datl is offline  
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 05:50 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 20,953
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No idea at all. You need to keep talking to the airlines. There are test flights starting already, which is a good sign, and Scottish airspace seems likely to clear first.

Unless of course the volcano erupts again.
PatrickLondon is offline  
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 06:07 AM
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 19,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No-one knows what is happening tomorrow on flights, let alone in a few days, weeks or months time, not even the people making the decisions. There is no point starting yet another thread on "what's happening / what's going to happen" as all that will happen is that you get exactly the same replies as for every other similar posting - ie no-one knows.

Now if it was a question about "will company 'x' allow me to cancel / delay my hotel booking..." that might be different
alanRow is offline  
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 06:44 AM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the volcano activity is not expected to abate - the challenge you have though is rebooking this coming week or looking at alternatives is practically impossible - everything sold out through any connection you can think of - so don't be too optimistic!
dkerr99 is offline  
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 06:55 AM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,397
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Met Office is predicting the prevailing winds, which is the main cause of the difficulty aside from the ash itself, are likely to remain unchanged until Thursday. Sadly this means things aren't looking great for you.
wellididntknowthat is offline  
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 09:40 PM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 17,268
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're not looking quite that bad. But certainly not good

The cloud's unpredictable. But your booking probably outranks others whose flights were cancelled earlier: if flights are on again by 22/4 - which means yours has to leave LHR that morning - your booking stands, even though there'll be thousands trying to get on.
flanneruk is offline  
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 05:09 AM
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You just have to wait and see. It looks like Spain is going to be used as a 'hub' with coaches, trains and ferries taking people the rest of the way.

Some of the Scottish airports have opened for a few flights so you might actually have a flight into Scotland and miss out the LHR connection. It just depends on the wind direction.

How keen on Scotland are you? Would France or Spain appeal? Southern French airports are open.
sashh is offline  
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 09:42 AM
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airspace for the north of UK opening tomorrow am - the south should follow later in the day.
sashh is offline  
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 12:46 PM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,870
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
datl- we are a day behind you so I especially wish you well. If you make it, then maybe we will too. Now, getting back.....
basingstoke2 is online now  
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 06:44 PM
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To basingstoke2 - I hope you make it. We, regretfully, are giving up the ghost on this one. BA is offering refunds and at best indicating that delays and every other potential travelling nightmare is a reality. Not to mention that the volcano seems likely to at least tease everyone for another week or two. We won't be able to re-schedule in the near future, so that is that. So disappointed, as many I'm sure are - all the best to those still hoping!
datl is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Original Poster
Forum
Replies
Last Post
alihutch
Europe
7
Apr 20th, 2010 01:23 PM
gingerB
Air Travel
5
Apr 20th, 2010 06:45 AM
Lysette
Europe
5
Aug 25th, 2006 05:21 AM
drummer0002
United States
12
Aug 13th, 2006 08:58 AM
bbpiano11
Europe
12
Apr 21st, 2006 01:48 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -