Search

flight to Paris in May

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flight to Paris in May

Hi-
I am planning a trip to Paris end of May 2007. I have 2 packages in front of me, both for 10 nights at the very good France Albion Hotel in the 9th.
Ques is, one pckg is for a British Airways flite, stop in London both ways, the other is a nonstop Air India flite for $225 less.
I've heard HORROR stories on Air India - folks, do you think it's worth the xtra 200 or so to take BA??

Thanks.

-Alan
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 12:01 PM

I had a trip to Paris planned over the Thanksgiving week with my sister. Two days before departure they called and asked us to leave Paris a day later. We decided to accept this change, although it was inconvenient. The next day they called, cancelling both arriving and departing flights and wanted us to take flights on days which would have shifted our vacation dates so far from our original choice we could not comply. Then they wanted to penalize us $150 each for cancelling.
In short, we had to cancel the whole trip, and only because we booked flight and hotel through Expedia did we get a full refund (plus some coupons for the horrors we went through). Just to sweeten the story, the couple of times I spoke to Air India operators they hung up on me when I asked some questions.
I found out from Expedia that they cancelled four flights in that same time period, for what reason I do not know.
Spend the $225 - I am going to Paris at the end of March and for sure I am going on Continental.
I heard other people dissing Air India but blew it off. I hope I can save you from an unpleasant experience.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Good Heavens - what a terrible experience! I can't imagine them wanting to penalize you $150 for cancelling.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Take British Airways. I wouldn't even consider dealing with Air India.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 06:23 PM

Sue4 -
Thanks for feeling my pain. I am quite sure we would not have gotten the full refund had it not been for Expedia twisting Air India's arm. They were completely unreasonable, and there are more details I won't bore you with. Suffice it to say, I cannot imagine a scenario where I would use Air India ever again.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Looks like BA is the way to go.
One other question - I will be booking thru Expedia, but want to protect myself b/c I'm booking so far in advance by purchasing the cancellation insurance for $70. Does this cover both the hotel AND flight?
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 04:06 PM

I always get separate trip insurance. Go to www.insuremytrip.com and you can compare rates and policies. Just put in the non-refundable costs of your trip and compare costs.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 05:49 AM
ira

Hi AY,

Have you looked into what it would cost if you went to www.kayak.com and www.mobissimo.com for airfare and booked your room at the France Albion yourself?

They are offering a 22% discount, depending on time of year.
/www.albion-paris-hotel.com

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 06:15 AM

In the past BA had a deal that gave you a free hotel night in London when on your way somewhere else - might not hurt to do some research and see if that option is still available. Kind of fun to be able to spend time in both cities . .
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 08:44 AM

Recently experienced a problem (not the first time)with Air France.
I booked a special to france through an email I had received from AF. I booked a RT from Det to Paris for 600.00 US. What a deal I thought. 2 weeks later I got an email from AF telling me the flight was cancelled. I called and they explained that the dept. flight had been cancelled and I should just wait to see if it would be added later on in the weeks to come. OK, I thought that was wierd. Then I got another email from AF telling me the entire flight both ways was cancelled. OK, so I call and cancel the reservation with no problems. Then 1 one later I get a recorded message on my cellphone telling me my flight had been changed to from a non stop to DTW to ATL To CDG and return CDG ATL ORD DTW. What are they on Crack, I call and get the run around and end up hanging up while on hold for 13 minutes and call AM EX to dispute the charge of the airfare they were charging me. Thank God for am exp. I sent them all the info they need and was played the message for them (ain't 3 way great) and all the paperwork I had. Needless to say AM Ex. agreed and no charge. But what pain in the unowhat.

I hate AF in CDG but I love the service on the flights. They are very proffesional and the food ain't bad. I recommend them but once in CDG it's every man/woman for themselves.