flight prices

Old Jan 14th, 2020, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

flight prices

Hi everyone.

I've never travlled overseas but we're going to Paris and London in July. Looking into flights. Expedia multicity Toronto to Paris (july 18) and London to Toronto (july 29) for three adults and a 12 yr old is showing me $4143 (non stop).

For those of you who travel on a regular basis is this a decent price? Should I jump on it or wait to see if it drops. It seems a little high to me, though I don't know from overseas flights.

Thanks.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by perkie1968 View Post
Hi everyone.

I've never travlled overseas but we're going to Paris and London in July. Looking into flights. Expedia multicity Toronto to Paris (july 18) and London to Toronto (july 29) for three adults and a 12 yr old is showing me $4143 (non stop).

For those of you who travel on a regular basis is this a decent price? Should I jump on it or wait to see if it drops. It seems a little high to me, though I don't know from overseas flights.

Thanks.
frankly it looks like a lot.
Hiwever you may mean CAD and I have no idea how much they are worth.
I have in mind that ti keys should be between 400 euros and 600 pp.

i would avoid Expedia and check live prices on actual sites of airlines. I heard there is a low cost company called red Canada ?

Old Jan 14th, 2020, 09:19 AM

I don't know why people can't give details as to what a single fare is, it would make it a lot easier to understand. I don't know if a kid that age gets any fare reduction or not, but if not, that doesn't seem at all unusual to me for summer. That's only about $1000 per person, I paid a lot more than that last summer and I'm leaving from a bigger airport on the East Coast. If that is CAD, which I presume it is, that is a real cheap fare, I sure would grab it, presumikng the times and connections are reasonable. That's only about US$800 per person in the most expensive month!

I do not agree at all that you should be able to find a fare for 400-600 euro per person, I have never seen that in decades probably in July to Paris from where I live. I've never seen that in winter for many years.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 10:15 AM

I have heard that flying out of London has a high tax, so you may want to look into flying into London and home from Paris.
There is a site, kayak.com, that lets you compare many airlines. But always buy your ticket directly from the airline.
You may want to sign up for emails from various airlines where they will advertise sales to you.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 10:30 AM

A 12 year old is an adult, if it is CAD4143 then it is not a bad airfare at all. Does that include checked luggage? Expedia is a good place to buy airfares, if there is a good fare there is no reason to avoid booking through them. If there is no difference in price between booking directly on airlines website vs Expedia (or other online travel agencies), book direct.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 10:43 AM

I just used the Google search for flights using your dates and multi-city. Right now it shows the flight for 3,916 Canadian, $2,998 US. (Four Adults is higher priced than 3 adults and one child Child price is $175 US less) That is a decent price for July.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Odin View Post
A 12 year old is an adult, if it is CAD4143 then it is not a bad airfare at all. Does that include checked luggage? Expedia is a good place to buy airfares, if there is a good fare there is no reason to avoid booking through them. If there is no difference in price between booking directly on airlines website vs Expedia (or other online travel agencies), book direct.
Not according to the Google search, children are 2-12 on their search engine. Air Transat page also has 2-11 children and 12-15 youth. Youth are about 1/3 the price of the adult fares.

Last edited by apersuader65; Jan 14th, 2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 11:22 AM

Anything trans-Atlantic out of Toronto in high season for around $1000 each is a very good price compared to previous years. Do not buy from a travel agency (Expedia or any other.) The airline will have the lowest price and arrangements, such as advance seat selection, will be easier. Also, if your choice includes an Air Canada Rouge flight, please read the website carefully to know what the service includes and does not include.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 11:55 AM

I will add that flights do not get cheaper as the summer goes along. Years ago when planes were running 1/2 full you could get some good prices if you waited, but nowadays most if not all flights run to or near capacity. Don't wait thinking you"ll find something cheaper.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by apersuader65 View Post
Not according to the Google search, children are 2-12 on their search engine. Air Transat page also has 2-11 children and 12-15 youth. Youth are about 1/3 the price of the adult fares.
Some search engines will have a child passenger type with ages from 2-12, others might have 2-15, doesn't mean anything. The IATA rules state that a child is between 2 and 11 (have not reached their 12th birthday). Most airlines charge full adult fare once a child has reached their 12th birthday, youth fares are not common anymore but sure, some might offer a discount. AFAIK APD is not payable for tickets to/from the UK for passengers aged 12-15 so it is worth checking the youth box to get that discount even if there is no discount on the airfare itself.

"Do not buy from a travel agency (Expedia or any other.) The airline will have the lowest price and arrangements, such as advance seat selection, will be easier." Advance seat selection is available on Expedia, you can enter your FF into the booking and sometimes Expedia does have a lower price than direct, if there is a promotion. Reputable travel agents (on or offline) are definitely worth checking out.

Old Jan 14th, 2020, 01:41 PM

Go to Air Canada and check prices. We got a rt from Orlando to Paris last Feb for 350 each. We went through Toronto. My family live close to Canada and many times it is cheaper to fly from there for them than NYC or Albany.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 03:13 PM

I drive 4.5 hrs to Toronto, or 3 hrs to Montreal, from our upstate NY home to get good flight prices, typically direct, to where we want to go.

Often that is on AirTransat. Tor-Paris, London-Tor is $2800 USD for 4, 6-24 July (random dates). Another $100 or so p/p for checked luggage. Direct.

I've had decent flights with them. A lot of their routes they may only fly a few times a week.