Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Flight from Toronto to Europe in September

Flight from Toronto to Europe in September

May 17th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Flight from Toronto to Europe in September

I just talked to a travel agent and she told me that air fares are unlikely to fall significantly for travels to Paris/Barcelona in September... Is it true? I am planning to travel on September 5 and return on the 17th (flexible travelling dates)

Currently, the cheapest options are:

Toronto to Paris via London (British Airways) $1,027/person
Toronto to Paris (Zoom) $850/person

Toronto to Barcelona via London (British Airways) $1,163/person

All prices are in Canadian dollars and are tax included.

Should I wait and hope for prices to drop?
May 17th, 2005, 12:17 PM

Is your ideal situation to have an open-jaw flight landing in Paris and returning from Barcelona? What does that cost?

I've been following Zoom (on different routes), and it seems that for the most part the prices go up, but in the last couple days or even a week before departure there are sometimes greatly reduced rates - but often there aren't. So it would really be a gamble. Plus, do you need some lead time at work to have your vacation approved - rather than just being able to suddenly decide to take off with 2 days notice?

Otherwise, I think the odds of the major airlines having a significant drop in fares is pretty low.

However, I wouldn't trust a travel agent as to fare trends - they've always steered me wrong. (And of course the same could happen to you listening to someone on the Internet ).
May 17th, 2005, 12:22 PM

A quick look, and you can get Toronto to London Gatwick for $643 Canadian all in on Sunwing. If you're okay with an overnight stay in London at both ends of the trip, you could arrange to get to Paris (by air or train) and then fly back from Barcelona to London (probably EasyJet).

I suggest the overnight stay because of the risk of being delayed with a cheap flight on a non-major carrier. You could also get insurance to cover these contingencies.
May 17th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you WillTravel.

Our ideal situation would be to fly into Paris and out of Barcelona. I did a quick search on Travelocity and it came to about $1400 for such a flight with Air Canada.

Our plan is to fly into Paris and spend a couple of days there before we embark on our cruise departing from Barcelona. I don't really care when to fly our of Toronto as long as we make it to our cruise (September the 10th for 7 nights). Paris is just a city that we would really love to visit, so whether we do it before or after our cruise, it's not that important. I only have 2 weeks to spare, including the cruise.

When I started searching for airfares, USAir had YYZ to CDG (via PHI) for $610 all included... that was a price quoted back in March for Sept 5 - Sept 18. How I wish that price to come back!!!

I am now hoping that the price doesn't skyrocket if I do decide to wait until closer to my departure date.
May 17th, 2005, 01:37 PM
rex

<<When I started searching for airfares, USAir had YYZ to CDG (via PHI) for $610 all included... that was a price quoted back in March for Sept 5 - Sept 18. How I wish that price to come back!!!

I am now hoping that the price doesn't skyrocket if I do decide to wait until closer to my departure date.>>

You are just asking for history to repeat itself. You passed on a good price before, only to find yourself over a barrel. Are you seeking a bigger barrel?

I hope you won't think me insincere when I say...

Best wishes,

Rex
May 17th, 2005, 01:49 PM

I think the odds of the major airlines skyrocketing is pretty high. Zoom is uncertain - but is more likely to go up than down, IMO.

However, I just checked the Flyzoom.com web site directly and see you can get Sept. 5-17 for $735 Canadian all in - cheaper than your agent said. That is pretty unlikely to improve, IMO, particularly given you have little flexibility.
May 17th, 2005, 02:03 PM
rex

Hmmm... it's possible my comments were too brusque, too soon...

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34620875
May 17th, 2005, 02:47 PM
ira

Hi gen,

I just checked the BA special offers.

They have RT Toronto/London for your dates for $800 CAD.

I think that you have a good TA. Take it.

May 17th, 2005, 02:55 PM

I disagree, ira. I found the Zoom fare for $125 cheaper than offered by the TA, with a quick search - so I wouldn't book Zoom with the TA unless she can meet the web site price.
May 17th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Hi Genia11,
I am also looking at Tor-CDG in September. Not yet booked, but I can recommend to look at flying out of Buffalo (or perhaps Detroit). I have found intra-USA flights cheaper, I know I saw cheaper for some of the dates I was looking at...In your case saw Buf-CDG for $907 everything in for your specific dates. Maybe moving them around...
May 17th, 2005, 04:01 PM

Check out BA's US and Canadian websites (you can switch easily) and price out your dates. They just published some new fares and you might do better than you did before.

Also look at Dublin on Aer Lingus as your first stop; past Ireland Aer Lingus is now a low-cost carrier so your intra-Europe legs (open jaw or otherwise) might be cheaper via Dublin than other gateways, especially London or Paris.
May 17th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone for your input and honesty.

I don't really want to fly out of Buffalo if my savings is only $100... gas and wait at the border would make it not worth it.

I'm trying not to fly with charters given their restrictions in terms of luggage and also their seat comfort... but I am willing to consider it if the price difference is significant.

I think I will likely book with BA.
May 17th, 2005, 10:41 PM

Have you checked out Canadian Affair? Their prices are very competative. I know they only fly Canada to the UK, but if you don't mind changing I am sure you could get a flight with one of the low cost carriers from London to Paris, and also back to London from Barcelona. Personally have used Canadian Affair on three occasions and been happy with the service.

Search this Thread