Reload this Page >

flight connections

Search

flight connections

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 09:52 AM
Al

flight connections

Hello, <BR>I am planning a trip to Denmark this summer and would like to know how others feel about changing planes in either Frankfurt or Paris. Was the experience tolerable, intolerable, or just "if I have to do that again, I will stay home"? <BR>Thank you all. Happy traveling.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 10:46 AM
elvira

Changed planes in Frankfurt once - pretty efficient, don't remember it being a hassle. Have never changed planes in Paris, but based on the CDG sprawl, I can't imagine it would be a lot of fun.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 12:13 PM
liz

Al, If I had my choice I would avoid changing planes in Frankfurt! Had to go through that airport twice in 99 and it was horrible. Both times we circled for at least half an hour, and then almost missed our flights. Ground staff at Lufthansa was not helpful at all as well. It's a very large airport so if you are late and have to catch a connecting flight you will have to do the OJ thing ( run like crazy, not kill your wife!) Also going through customs is like being interrogated for war crimes, think these guys are powertriping just a bit! Having said that I have to fly through there once this summer again (flying on points had no choice!) <BR>Good Luck!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 12:51 PM
s.fowler

Neither of your choices is good. The Western European air space is maxed out badly. I'd give a slight nod to Frankfurt. Lufthansa may be pretty bad, but the German organization would beat CDG any day. <BR> <BR>Although the last time I *did* change at Frankfurt I walked FOREVER. <BR> <BR>What makes me sad is Lufthansa used to be my airline of choice when I lived in Philly.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Lori

Changed planes at CDG in June. Went from American to AirFrance no problem. Just give yourself plenty of time.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 06:09 PM
monica

Lori, <BR>I will be doing that this June. How much time???? <BR>thanks.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Bob Brown

I can speak for CDG and changing planes, having done it twice now. That makes me a real veteran!!! <BR> <BR>First, if at all possible on the return flight, allow at least 2 hours connect time. Second, if you are changing at CDG, study the map of the airport so you can go by foot from terminal to terminal, assuming that your incoming flight lands at T2 A or B and your departing flight for home leaves from T2 C. <BR> <BR>Here are my two experiences. <BR>In the summer of 99, we commuted in from Zurich on Air France. We had 90 minutes of connect time on paper but when we actually arrived, we had 30 minutes. <BR>Air France was less than helpful. We were routed to the shuttle bus to get from Terminal 2B to Terminal 2C to catch our flight to Atlanta. Had we known better, we would have walked and saved time. But no one was there to show us. <BR>Needless to say we made it only because our flight home was late leaving by 25 minutes. <BR> <BR>In the summer of 2000, we flew in from Vienna. Not wanting to risk another pulse pounder, I scheduled an early flight. We arrived on time and had about 3 hours to enjoy La Brioche Doree one more time. I also "scoped" out the <BR>layout of Terminal 2 and learned how to get from one pod to the other. <BR> <BR>Terminal 2 is shaped like a figure 8. <BR>The four pods are A B <BR> C D <BR>In the center of the 8, there is are connections to among all 4 pods. <BR>But, to go from the B D side to the A C side, you have to know to go downstairs and walk through a lower level shopping area to make the connection. <BR>The is a map of the layout in the form of a gif file on the web. I have it and can send it to you if you will email me directly and ask for it. <BR> <BR>In conclusion, schedule more time than you think you need for your connectiong flights to be safe. Morning flights are less likely to be delayed than afternoon flights. The choice seems to be where and how you wait. I had rather wait in boredom than to rush in anxiety. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 02:07 PM
Al

A great big THANK YOU! to all of you who were kind enough to respond to my question. I think I will try to avoid Frankfurt and Paris if possible. <BR>Thanks again. <BR>Al

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 12:25 AM
Phil

Al, <BR> <BR>Where are you flying from, and are you forced to fly a particular airline? <BR> <BR>Depending on your residence, there night be direct flight from the U.S. to Copenhagen or you might check connections at other European gateways (in my experience Brussels, Amsterdam, Munich, Stockholm or Vienna, from the Pacific coast even Helsinki, should be much more agreeable than CDG or FRA). <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip <BR> <BR>Phil.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 05:54 AM
Beth

Al, <BR> <BR>I've been lucky when it comes to connecting. I haven't had to connect for any flight I've had to Europe, probably because I fly out of O'Hare. BUT, if I did, I would try to find a way to make my connections in the US. Look for a city here in the US that does have direct flights to your chosen destination. Then see what is available to you through that city. <BR> <BR>I really don't like CDG. I've not been to Frankfurt yet, but will next May. Sounds like I better get studying the airport map! <BR> <BR>Let us know how your trip to Denmark goes.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 11:03 AM
s.fowler

I have to respectfully disagree with my Chicago compatriot[hi Beth!] For several reasons. <BR>1. If you are "connecting" in this country from O'Hare, 10 to 1 it's in NYC. That is an airspace I'd rather skip. Also if you come into LaGuardia and then the international flight is from JFK -- well that transfer isn't high on my list either. I've just spent all that energy to pack and get to the airport and.... I have to WHAT? <BR>2. Given the delays at American airports in general I'd like to "high-tail" it out of here. Something like half of all flights in and out of Chicago were more than 15 minutes late last month. Plus we have our share of "work actions" to gum things up. <BR>3. I'd MUCH rather get "hung up" in CDG or LHR or FRA than JFK. [Or O'Hare for that matter] While airports are airports -- hearing the foreign language and seeing the cultural difference makes the wait more interesting. Also there will be more flights onward to you final destination in Europe, while if you get stuck in JKF it's until the next day. <BR>End of rant

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 12:09 PM
Al

Hello again helpful folks, <BR> <BR> Thanks again to all of you kind enough to respond to my question. I only recently discovered this site (love it) and as a newbie was not sure how much detail to go into with a question. <BR> <BR> The reason for the query about Franfurt and Paris: I live in Iowa and was checking on flights from Chicago to Copenhagen on Expedia.com. For my tentative travel dates, at the time I checked, Lufthansa (connect in Frankfurt) and Air France (connect in Paris -CDG) had the lowest fares. I had some reservations about both cities. Do you suppose the fares are lower because people would rather not go through Frankfurt or Paris? <BR> <BR> I am not limited to any particular airline by frequent flyer (totally bogus) or any thing else. My choices of major hubs here in the midwest are: St. Louis, not to bad, but they seem to want to connect on the east coast. Chicago, DO NOT LIKE IT, but can find my way around. or Minneapolis-St. Paul, long time since I have been through there. Cannot connect out of an east coast city because usually you have to come back through the same one. My wife returned from Europe through New York (not sure which airport) in 1989, and will not repeat the experience. <BR> <BR> The challenge I have presented my travel agent is leg room. I am six foot five and I have been told that my charming personality deteriorates somewhat when I spend 8 or 9 hours on a plane doing my impression of a human pretzel. But that is another story. <BR> <BR> Thanks again everyone, you are great! <BR> Al <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 12:50 PM
Flora

Al, <BR> <BR>We flew from Dallas/Ft. Worth on American Airlines and connected in Frankfurt for our Lufthansa flight to Rome. Although it was the better part of three years ago, I remember very cordial customs agents and very little walking involved. <BR> <BR>I have never switched planes at CDG, but find the airport very confusing in general. I would choose Frankfurt, all other factors being equal.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 03:23 AM
Phil

hello Al, <BR> <BR>Here I'm back. I have done a short search into your options: <BR> <BR>There is a non-stop flight from Chicago O'Hare to Copenhagen on SAS: <BR> <BR>SK 944 ORD 10:00 pm - CPH 01:10 pm <BR> <BR>There are conections at Amsterdam from Minneapolis/St. Paul on Northwest and KLM: <BR> <BR>NW 056 MSP 08:45 pm - AMS 11:50 am <BR>SK 548 AMS 01:15 pm - CPH 02:35 pm <BR> <BR>KL 664 MSP 03:10 pm - AMS 06:10 am <BR>KL 1125 AMS 07:45 am - CPH 09:10 am <BR> <BR>Out of St. Louis, Air Canada connects at Toronto: <BR> <BR>AC 362 STL 01:30 pm - YYZ 04:30 pm <BR>AC 882 YYZ 05:45 pm - CPH 07:40 am <BR> <BR>I didn't check the fares, though. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps <BR> <BR>Phil.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Al

Thank you for the information, Phil. Was not aware of the Air Canada from St. Louis. I will have to take a look at it. <BR> <BR> Do you, or anyone else, have any experience with Air Canada, changing planes in Toronto, or returning from Europe through Toronto? <BR> <BR> Thanks again. <BR> Al

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 11:53 AM
s.fowler

I home some of our Canadian compatriots will respond. <BR> <BR>As of last summer Toronto was a &^%$&^%#$)*&^^$ mess. The two major airlines in Canada had just merged. Schedules were a laugh. Service was non-existent. And the Toronto Airport was in almost complete meltdown. It can only have imporved. I HOPE.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Al

My goodness s.fowler, such &^%$&^&#$)*&^^$ language. (Just kidding.) Have been known to use a few choice explitives myself upon occasion. It must have been a real mess. <BR> <BR> Point taken though, sounds like Toronto falls into the catagory of, "if I have to change planes there, I would rather stay home". Anyone been through Toronto more recently? <BR> <BR> Thanks again to everyone. Happy traveling. <BR> <BR>Al <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 09:22 AM
s.fowler

It WAS a *mess*. <BR> <BR>The endgame here, Al, is that these days almost any airport and any airline can combine to make your trip heaven [well, tolerable at least]or h***. For example: No matter what I decisions I make about flights, airlines etc... I can't seem to get to CDG from ORD without *something* going wrong. I've been chalking it up to bad karma. So this time [mid-March] we are NOT flying AF or UA -- we choose AA and whadya know -- the AA flight attendants are threatening a strike at the end of this month. Aiiiiieeeeeeee. I've had less trouble getting in and our of Skopje, Macedonia that getting from Chicago to Paris. <BR> <BR>One small thing you *can* do is make sure you have enough time bewteen flights -- although that can become relative pretty fast. For this March, for example, I booked the flight before the one that showed up to connect to our homewardbound flight. Instead of 1 hr we now have 3 hrs to make the connection. Maybe we'll be bored in Brussels Airport, but better safe than sorry. [Last time I was there our part of the airport had a blackout -- why were we in Brussels? Because the refuelers at CDG were on strike. Or was that the ATC? -- you get my drift.]

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Mary

Last year I flew Lufthansa and changed planes in Frankfurt. I had 3-hour window between flights, and no problems. Good luck, whatever you decide.