Flight Connection in Amsterdam!

Old Nov 29th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Connection in Amsterdam!

Hey guys! I'm traveling to Germany but I got 6h to kill in Amsterdam before my flight leaves. So I was wondering if I could go out and find a close by Coffee shop where I can smoke some good green stuff. lol
I know when I get to the airport i should not have anything on me, I just wanna get Sky High while I wait and kind of see Amsterdam.
I appreciate if you guys can help me out and give me some tips on what can I do and is it save to do so?
Thanks
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 02:01 PM

I don't know you are serious or not, but flights from Amsterdam are often targeted by police on arrival, so expect sniffer dogs as you disembark in Germany. Expect to be taken aside and searched, and if they find any green stuff more than a tiny amount acceptable for personal consumption, you may be charged for trafficking and imprisonment may follow.
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 02:16 PM

In the last few years, I've flown AMS to Munich, AMS to Milan, and AMS to Gdansk. I've never seen sniffer dogs or been searched upon arrival.

It's easy to get from Schiphol airport to central Amsterdam by train (pretty sure there are luggage storage lockers at the Centraal Station in Amsterdam). Six hours gives you enough time for a very quick visit, maybe 2-3 hours. Give yourself plenty of time to get through security at Schiphol when you get back, though you won't have to go through immigration to fly on to Germany.
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thaaank you! Yeah I've been looking into it a lot and I was planning on taking the train to the Central Station and walk to a close by coffeeshop I found in google! Obviously I'm not bringing anything back with me I just wanna smoke some cannabis, see the city and head back to the airport.
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 02:57 PM

There are no dedicated customs controls in Germany for flights from Amsterdam, and there are no sniffer dogs (at least not as a regular feature).
But you should smoke your weed in Holland, and not bring any stuff with you. Any amount of cannabis is illegal by principle in Germany. But the thresholds for arrest and prosecution differ state by state.
In Berlin, for example, police is not allowed to book you for possession of small quantities (like a joint or two). In other states, it can be different.
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 03:08 PM

I have seen German police with sniffer dogs boarding an international train from Amsterdam so it isn't unknown. It may just be tough luck if your flight happens to be the one they decide to target. I also came across unannounced ID check just as I disembarked at Frankfurt Airport, so these things happen, not routinely but on a spot check basis.
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 07:43 AM

The problem is the odour is likely to be on you when you arrive in Germany and while there is no chance of being arrested if you do not have any weed in your possession, the POSSIBILITY of being hassled does exist. The odds may be 1000 to 1 but that's still a possibility.

So you have to decide if you want to take that minimal risk or not and if so, then plan accordingly in case it takes you an hour longer to get out of the airport in Germany.

Personally, I wouldn't want even the minimum risk of being hassled just so I could go and smoke one joint in Amsterdam. Also note, if you get stoned, you can be refused boarding onto the flight to Germany. It's no different than showing up at check-in drunk.
Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 10:34 AM

I agree with Sojourntraveller. They'll smell it on you. Even if you don't have it on you, just from having been inside a coffeeshop, smoking it.
Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 11:34 AM

I am not sure who you expect to "smell it".
When OP arrives from AMS there is no passport control.
And also no customs control - except for very rare spot controls.
If you feel paranoid and want to "mask" the cannabis smell just have a regular cigarette in the smoke-filled smoking areas at AMS airport before departure.
Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 11:42 AM

I suppose the gate agents, for example, flight attendants, etc could smell it.

This just seems silly to me, anyone I know who wants to get pot can get some at home in the US, not to mention now you can buy it even as a tourist in some states (I know you can in Colorado). YOu can't buy as much as a resident, but you can buy it. Wonder where the OP lives that to smoke one joint of marijuana is such an enticing lure. Because that means he/she has smoked it before to want it so much. Heck, I live in Washington DC and they just voted it legal here, also. That won't go into effect for a few months, though.
Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 11:45 AM

If OP is coming from outside the Schengen zone he will go through passport control before he can go into the city.

Returning qfly to Germany they will go through security again.

Provided they aren't still sky high at the gate they shouldn't have a problem.

Do allow enough time for security and a possible hike to the gate.
Old Dec 4th, 2014, 02:34 AM

When I worked in London, I used to be on sunday evening flights from AMS to LHR a lot. Sometimes the weed smell on the plane could be cut with a knife, and obviously high passengers would be refused.

Also, Amsterdam weed is pretty strong, and I've seen up close people going overboard and smoke a whole joint of the stuff. Once a Danish client of ours thought he'd give it a go. We had to put him to bed and he puked on our shoes. But we had a very nice business meeting the morning after. He couldn't remember much of what had happened the night before though.