Search

Flight Change Advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Change Advice

Hi all,

I didn't tag any particular country, as this is really a general question. And I know that there is no crystal ball and information will be changing as I get closer to my trip.

My boys and I fly into Brussels on June 22nd and according to the Brussels Airport website they will be operating a 1/5 capacity for "months". I am in contact with American Airlines, but long story short, I am worried that I will find out shortly before our 4 week trip, that my flight is going to be cancelled. I can't get a straight answer from American if that's even a possibility.

Currently they are allowing changes to flights occurring within a particular travel period (end of April). That will shift as American airlines gets more information.

Here's my question. Maybe some of you have a better understanding of how airlines work. If given the opportunity, do I change my flights and pay the difference which at least guarantees me a flight? Or do I cross my fingers and hope American won't cancel my flights?

Again, I know there is no guarantee, but I'd like to run this by someone.

Thank you!
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 06:28 AM

In my understanding airlines just don't cancel flights - all the more for a situation that will be there for quite some time.

You may be aware that Bruxelles is the center of the world, and is surrounded by less nice neighbours but who neverthelss have airports.

So the options are :
- you'll land at Z
So you'll most probably be diverted
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Right? That would be my understanding also, assuming there are no exigent circumstances, but I was a little put off that nobody would say that they won't cancel flights last minute as they get closer. The good news is that I have refundable hotels, so worse comes to worse, I cancel those in early June and just book last minute once my flight is confirmed which I am hoping is 48 hours out.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 06:32 AM

So the options are
you'll land at Zaventem (BRU) as planned
you'll be diverted to CDG or AMS or Luxemburg or ..

In the aftermath of the attack, it is my understanding that airlines would disgorge their passengers 'somewhere close' and let them sort out the rest of the trip.

However, situation must be tackled by now and airlines must have a plan B.

CDG to BRU is about 1,5 hours by train... same from Schiphol.

You have nearly 3 months in front of you, I would not panick !
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 06:34 AM

It is 12 weeks until you fly. Everybody expects that normal operation will have resumed by then. If not, your airline will reroute you (e.g. to Amsterdam or Cologne). So, do not worry and relax.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 06:35 AM

'but I was a little put off that nobody would say that they won't cancel flights last minute as they get closer'

The goal of an airline is to make money by bringing passengers to destination - they will definitely find a way !
I would imagine they treat the more urgent cases first and are 'betting' on situation revolving back to normal before they have to take care of you.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 06:36 AM

Parallel posting with Whathello and same assessment. Whatever happens, you will be taken care of.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Okay, sounds good...I'm not panicking but since it's just me and 2 young boys, I am just trying to be as informed as possible before we go. Thanks all!
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 06:48 AM

<I> Whathello on Apr 3, 16 at 5:28pm You may be aware that Bruxelles is the center of the world, and is surrounded by less nice neighbours but who neverthelss have airports.</I>

Less nice neighbours? Isn't Brussels the ugly duckling of Belgium and the region?

I have never heard anyone rave about the place.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 08:17 AM

I'm just guessing, but in the US if you bought a ticket to a destination, the airline has to get you there if they need to be diverted to a nearby airport. I've had this happen at least once in my memory, the airline had to hire a bus to take all passengers to the point they were supposed to be (which was about a 1.5 bus drive away). They didn't have a problem getting the bus fairly quickly, they must have had contingency plans as that can always happen--in my case, it was due to weather.

Now airlines can just cancel the entire flight, I know, and then there are options for refunds, etc., which aren't that helpful if you have plans and tickets always cost more at last minute.

I would guess AA is not going to cancel the entire flight if it's just a matter of BRU being closed, and that by end of June, it's supposed to be sorted out, anyway (the airport). Your timing is just a bit uncertain being before end of June, of course.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 08:40 AM

>>Isn't Brussels the ugly duckling of Belgium and the region? I have never heard anyone rave about the place.<<

Another Fodorite myth and a prejudice.

Brussels has one of the most picturesque medieval market squares of all cities, a beautiful little Old Town with lots of cozy bars and restaurants and is very strong in art nouveau architecture. It helps to read a good old travel guidebook.