Search

Flight and Train info for PARIS to GARMISCH

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight and Train info for PARIS to GARMISCH

Hello again.

My daughter and her partner are travelling through Europe with limited time during January next year. Because of the limited time, they have a few destinations planned that would take too long by train - especially given the limited daylight during that time of year.

Has anyone had experience in getting from Paris to Garmisch-Partenkirchen using air travel to Munich and then train to Garmisch?

Could you please give details of suitable airlines; flight times and durations and costs?

I intend to create a separate thread for the other difficult destination because it is easier to tag this way.

Thank you in advance,

Steve
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 11:47 PM

Hi steve_Australia,

You need to factor in the time it takes to get from Paris to the airport (at least 45 minutes if there are no traffic jams), to wait at the airport for security (90 minutes), to fly (60 minutes?), to get luggage (20 mins), then to get from München to Garmisch-Partenkirchen (2.5 hours). It won't be hugely quicker to fly.

I just wrote on your other thread about the possibility to take the night train. That "saves" one hotel night, and allows the travelers to wake up fresh in the new city.

The train departs Paris at 18.44 and arrives in München at 07.10. In a couchette, one person is 59 Euro and a deluxe cabin is 134 euro per person.

They can get the fares and schedules, and buy tickets, at

www.bahn.com

(I live in Garmisch, and I'm taking the night train to Paris in Oct. I've taken many night trains, and I love them. I bring along a gourmet picnic including wine, then I turn off the lights, open the shade, and imagine I'm in a 1940s movie while watching the scenery slip by . . . it's a great and romantic way to travel)

s
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you swandav,

I envy you living in Garmisch - what a lovely part of the world it is. Also close to Mittenwald, Linderhof, Innsbruck - oh the memories, and we've only been back a month or so. Ha!

In Paris and Garmisch, the accommodation has already been paid up for all nights so that complicates that idea. We might still be able to do something similar for the other location though.

Thanks again and please keep the suggestions coming.

Regards, Steve
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 01:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the future if you are looking for cheap flights between cities in Europe go to whichbudget.com or skyscanner.com

I agree that you need to factor in times between airports and cities center but in this case flying from Paris to Munich make more sense than the day train.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 01:56 AM

Or indeed take the afternoon Paris-Munich TGV Duplex and change for Garmisch.

Paris Est depart 15:19, change Stuttgart & Munich, arrive 22:58.

From €39 at www.bahn.de/en

The Duplex is a 200mph double-decker, see video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrXUqOPU9wc

Remember, there's no check-in to worry about, just board the train in Paris any time before it goes at 15:19, and it's central Paris to Garmisch, no from remote airports.

Put you feet up with a glass of wine! Nice scenery approaching Strasbourg, too, with a crossing of the Rhine soon after Strasbourg (oh, and look out for Strasbourg's one-missing-tower cathedral on the left a minute or two after leaving Strasbourg station).
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 08:34 AM

there is also an overnight train rolling between Munich and Paris-Est - leaving Munich nightly at about 10 pm and getting into Paris 9:50 next morning - www.bahn.de/en has fares including deep discounts if you act far enough in advance. For lots of great info on European trains and overnight trains I always spotlight these IMO fantastic sites - www.seat61.com - Man in Seat 61 who posts above his commercial site - and www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. Travel at night and save on the cost of an over night accommodation tro boot!
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 08:54 AM

Pal,

Yes, that's what I recommended. The OP notes that all the hotels have been paid in advance.

s
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 10:19 AM

Oh - I should have read everything above before recommending the night train as an option.