Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to go from Bonn..Strasbourg, Luxembourg, Paris?

Notices

Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 28-year old daughter, not a seasoned traveller, is suddenly going to a conference in Bonn, Germany in mid-April. Little money, little other-wise opportunity for travel and may be able to tack on a few days.

A colleague has invited her along to see Strasbourg, Luxembourg, maybe Frankfurt. She's thinking she'd love to see Paris, but very expensive I gather. And on her own? About to start helping her research because she has to book flights tomorrow. Any and All suggestions would be most welcome. Thankyou!
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 08:24 PM

If your daughter can make the logistics work, I say go for Paris. Yes, it is expensive, but she will already be in Europe. That is about as cheap as she will ever get to Paris. She can have bread and cheese meals, fruit from street markets, and do fine. Can she get an open jaws ticket, fly into Germany and out of Paris, with a cheap flight from Bonn or Cologne to Paris in between? If not, perhaps she could get a cheap RT to and from Paris, or even take the train. I think she would be fine on her own. Nobody starts out a seasoned traveller.

Other options:
London or Amsterdam if she could do open jaws. These are both great cities for young people, easy to get around, and lots to see. I would also consider Bruge.
If she goes with her colleague, Luxemburg and Strasbourg would be good, but unless they are flying out of Frankfurt, then skip it. There are so many more beautiful, interesting places to visit in those areas.

I hope other posters will have more advice for you and that she has a wonderful time.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM

Cologne/Bonn airport is one of the major hubs for low cost airlines in Germany.
www.germanwings.de
www.tuifly.com
www.airberlin.com
www.whichbudget.com

Otherwise Strasbourg or Paris are good alternatives which can be reached by train, too.
Check www.bahn.de for travel times to Paris (usually via Cologne and change there for Thalys high speed trains).
Discount train fares can go away fast, though. If she was traveling on April 17, for example, she would still be able to get fares of €39 one-way Bonn-Paris. Not that expensive, IMO.

But why should it be a problem for a 28yo woman to go on her own to Paris? If she is no seasoned traveller yet, this trip may help her to become one.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:19 PM

Thalys is a great choice, and can be booked cheaply in advance on voyages-sncf.com (see many postings here). She could take the train from Bonn to Cologne (just a few Euros and about 25 minutes) and then hook up with a Thalys train to Paris, which can be prepurchased quite cheaply if done far enough in advance. Cologne is worth visiting too.

Amsterdam would also be an easy choice, and can be obtained for as little as 19 Euros from Cologne on Bahn.de.

I hope it works for her - please post if we can help because this sounds like a great opportunity for her.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank-you all very much! I gather she will be flying into Frankfurt and that there is a lovely, scenic train-ride to Bonn?

Is it always better to book these train trips in advance?

She has meetings on the 12th, 13th & 14th--could take the train to Cologne on the 15th and spend a few hours looking around, then on to Paris on a Thayls train.

That would give her 3 days in Paris if she flew home to Canada on the 19th.(She has to be back to work on the 20th)

Any suggestions for a good hostel in Paris? Also an itinerary for her three (or two)days there?

Many thanks

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 06:03 AM
ira

Hi C,

For Paris:

Look it up under "Destinations".

Also:

Paris Superthread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34519236

100 Great Things to Do in Paris
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...=2&tid=1277898

Degas’s Paris Walks
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34712768

Kerouac’s Ethnic Walk
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35095155

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM

The train ride from Frankfurt airport to Bonn will be 38 minutes at 300 kmh. Not exactly scenic since much of that line is in tunnels, but fast.

The train will call at Bonn/Siegburg station where she will transfer to a tram, connecting the station with Bonn's city center.

Total travel time including transfer is 70 minutes.

There are also other lines which go up the Rhine valley, but I don't know if she will have the nerve to enjoy that after a long flight.