Search

Fleadh Nua

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fleadh Nua

I will be attending Fleadh Nua in Ennis Ireland on Sunday May 30. Can anyone tell me what it's like in the way of crowds? Anything that I shouldn't miss?
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 04:40 AM

That's the wrapup of Ennis' Spring 'Trad' Music festival. Last year, the finals were at the Queens Hotel; but there were sessions that I know of at The Brewery Pub (Abbey St., just off the Square) and at Cruise's Restaurant & Pub (Abbey St., adjacent to the Queens Hotel). There were probably more down O'Connell Street to the Poet's Corner at the Old Ground Hotel and at the Irish music Center adjacent to the Temple Gate Hotel. B&B's and Hotels were all booked pretty solid for the duration of the events.

May 30 is Pentecost Sunday this year but I don't know if Monday will be a (Whitsun) Bank Holiday in the Republic of Ireland. If it is, you can count on some pretty big crowds.

One of my favorite Ireland experiences was on the last day: an impromptu 'Trad' Irish music session at Cruise's that lasted from at least 3:30 PM (when I arrived) to 9:30 PM (when the regular session begins).
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I'm booked into the Temple Gate. Should I plan on not getting any sleep? All night music would be great.

If May 30 is Pentecost Sunday and Monday a possible holiday, will Bus Eireann be running? I plan on taking a bus from Limerick on Sunday and then heading to Shannon Airport on Monday.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 07:01 AM

May 31 isn't a bank holiday.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 09:14 AM
cod

Bank Holiday here now is always the first Monday in June. This year it is on June 7th. Ennis is always very busy for the Fleadh - you would want to book somewhere in advance. Enjoy the trip.

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 01:48 AM

I've stayed at the Temple Gate several times and the only time noise was a problem was Eircom's Information Age Conference (Sep.'02). A German couple with whom I had become acquainted, on the same wing as al the Eircom people, had to ask for a new room assignment.

Noise should not be a problem! Tell Paul Madden (manager) Ned recommended the Temple Gate.

As MaryZ said, May 31 is not a Bank Holiday in the Irish Republic; but it is Spring Bank Holiday in the U.K. With RyanAir & AerLingus fares as low as they are, lots of Irish people visit 'home' that weekend. The Pubs will be crowded!

Sunday Limerick-Ennis BusEireann service will be less frequent than weekdays. Build your schedule at http://www.buseireann.ie

We took an early BusEireann from Ennis to Shannon (8:35 AM) a couple of weeks ago. The next one wasn't until 10:20 and we wanted to have some time in Duty Free. Check-in was reatively hassle-free.