Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ennis, Ireland -- The Old Ground Hotel, Temple Gate, or ?

Jul 12th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

For our last night or two in Ireland in November, we plan to stay in Ennis. We are looking at The Temple Gate Hotel and The Old Ground Hotel. Because it gets dark so early, we wanted to be in an area with restaurants, shops, etc. Does anyone have any recommendations re these hotels/B&B's or other hotels in Ennis? We are slowly getting our itinerary together, thanks to so many people on this board.
Sherry
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Both hotels are in great locations, very convenient to restaurants, pubs, and shopping. We've stayed at the Old Ground and found it to be great. The rooms are large and the common areas are lovely. There's a restaurant and pub on the ground floor. I haven't stayed at Temple Gate.
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:02 AM

I've stayed at the Temple Gate several times. It's quite adequate! Part of it ('The Great Hall') is a Gothic Church that served the Convent across the Square (where the ITB is now). If The Great Hall is closed, ask Manager Paul Madden if he will show it to you. It's quite convenient to restaurants & shops on O'Connell St. or Abbey St. It has its own restaurant and Preacher's Pub and a very large parking area for guests.

If your last night in Ireland is from 11 and 15 Nov. you may be in for a special treat: Ennis has a fall 'Trad' music festival on those dates. Of course, lodging might be a problem during that time - get your reservations in early.
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:29 AM

I forgot to mention: Cruise's Pub & Restaurant, adjacent to the Queen's Hotel on Abbey St., has a Trad Irish music session every night starting at 10:00 PM. Fridays and Saturdays are best! If there are some 'hangers on' from the music festival they often set up and play in the afternoon. It's an impromptu thing.
Jul 13th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the information. We'll make our reservations soon!
Sherry
Jul 13th, 2004, 04:44 AM

Samsaf,

While I've not stayed at the Temple Gate, I have stayed at The Old Ground on two separate occasions. The hotel has a good deal of character and Old World atmosphere, but the size and quality of the rooms varies a good deal. If you find yourself directed to a rather cramped room, don't be shy about asking for an "upgrade." I found myself in this situation several years ago and was thankful that I spoke up. Another consideration is the location of your room. Front-facing rooms overlook the street and can be a bit noisy. A room at the rear of the hotel, therefore, might be preferable, as these rooms face the gardens and tend to be quieter.

Best of luck.