Search

Pilgrim Road !!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilgrim Road !!

any info is greatly appriciated!! I have heard that there is a road that pilgrims walk.I am daying to walk this road and I know this is the place to get the information.
my address [email protected]
much thanks
nadre
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 10:27 PM

There are many pilgrim walks, in many different countries. Can you narrow the question down a bit?
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 10:30 PM

I presume you are talking about the pilgrim roads to Santiago di Compostela in Spain?

In fact there is not only one route, and it all depends on where you want to start. The pilgrim road system goes all over Europe. Part of this road system is equipped and organized as pilgrim road, with hostels and so on. Part of the road system is not equipped, has vanished over time, or is only acknowledged by historians.
As far as the equipped part of the pilgrim roads, there are about half a dozen branches starting in France. From the north clockwise you'll find the one coming from Tours, from Vezelay, from Le Puy-en-Velay, from Arles and from Narbonne. These are the cities from where the pilgrim road is clearly indicated. These branches continue of course; the Vezelay branche goes through Brussels further north, the Puy-en-Velay branch goes through Switzerland further east, the Arles branch continues through Turin and Italy in general.
Once in Spain, the main route is the inland route, through Puente-la-Reina (700 km from Santiago di Compostela, 29 days walk) and Leon..

So it all depends on where you want to start...

The info I can give you is only very general. I suggest you google with Santiago di Compostela for more detailed and practical information.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:59 AM

Hi nadre,

I've been collecting information on Compostella de Santiago which is the pilgrim walk through northern Spain.

But this is only one pilgrim walk. As someone else stated, you need to identify which pilgrim walk you're referring to. If you're looking for info on Compostella de Santiago let us know and I'll post info.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:02 AM

If you are talking about the Camino de Santiago I agree that the best approach is to do the google search and wait for the avalanche of results. There are tons of organized hiking/biking tours designed for the american crowd. European hikers just jump on the train and start walking.

I am currently training to walk a third of the way (Leon to Burgos in +/-13 days) but I am not a tour type of person. I would like to only arrange for baggage transfers and lodging. I will travel in early September or May next year. I have found several companies that provide this type of service but only from Burgos to Santiago, so if anyone knows how to arrange this please let me know!

The hiking will be followed by a more relaxed/luxurious type of vacation so there is will be a some luggage.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:58 AM

Marigross,

Can you share your luggage transport information. When I do this walk I too will follow it with a relaxed vacation and will also have different clothing than for hiking the trail.

How many KMs is the portion you're hiking and do you plan to do the rest of the route at another time?

Thanks