Search

Flag Day

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:16 PM
Julie

Flag Day

I'm traveling to Sweden and Norway in May. We will be in Oslo for Flag Day. Any recommendation on activities to do or things to see during this day?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Julie

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:30 PM
cd

Flag Day, June 14th is a day of national observance in America for our American Flag.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:36 AM
xxx

Hey cd - <BR>Did anyone ask about America?<BR><BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:56 AM
lol

Maybe cd didn't realize that other countries have flags and maybe some observe a Flag Day all their own. So US-centric of him.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:42 PM
Steve

17th of May is Norway's independence day (from those oppressive Swede's). Hope for good weather and watch the parade up Karl Johans Gate to the royal palace--you'll be amazed that so many Norwegian flags even exist!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:17 PM
cd

Dear xxx and LOL:<BR>Does Olso have a Flag Day when this poster will be traveling? I'm more than willing to be educated. In America, Flag Day recognizes the June day in 1777 when the Continental Congress adopted the Stars and Stripes as the official flag of the United States. Is this also true of other countries? I am sincere when I say I would like to know.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:59 PM

ttt

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Barbara

cd: the OP says that they will be in Oslo, the capital of Norway, for Flag Day.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Christina

Julie probably means Norway's Constitution Day or National Day. I don't think they have a Flag Day, but some other countries do (Liberia, Haiti, Panama, Canada, Turkmenistan some other stans...) I just read an interesting point on Flag Day in Turkmenistan where that day was supposed to be the President's Birthday holiday but he thought people were already thinking he was too dictatorship so they turned the day into Flag Day. I think some countries call national or independence day flag day, but we don't in the US and it's a different day in some other countries, also. I think in Canada, it's a unique holiday, but I'm not sure. Here is a good link about holidays: www.holidayfestival.com

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 02:00 PM
cd

Christine:<BR>Good information, thank you. Then Steve probably had it right when he said that the 17th of May is Norway's independence day and not really Flag Day.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 07:44 AM
xxx

Well cd, this traveller says she will be travelling in May, not June. The U.S., as you stated, "celebrates" Flag Day in June.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Julie

Thanks for the replies. I was told that May 17th in Olso was called Flag Day but I believe that it is their Independence Day. Any recommendations?<BR>Thanks.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:43 AM
EU

Whoever told you it is called Flag Day is wrong. It is Independence Day, and the best thing is to watch the parade, just like Steve said. Norwegians are very patriotic people, and Independence Day is a serious matter, not a carnival type of festival.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Mary Ann

Hi Julie,<BR>I assume that by "Flag Day: you're referring to May 17th which is our "National Constitution Day." I advise you to hang out by Karl Johans Gate (main street leading to the castle) around the time of the parade. This day is absolutely magnificient--lots of happy kids and Norwegian flags--if you have nice weather. After the parade, I suggest taking in the sun and a Norwegian beer at Aker Brygge.<BR>Enjoy!<BR>Mary Ann