Fjord pass

Apr 9th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Fjord pass

I am reading about the Norway in a nutshell, do you guys recommend buying the Fjord Pass?
Apr 9th, 2014, 06:27 PM

We did. It saved us some money on hotels. It is VErY expensive in Norway.
Apr 10th, 2014, 06:30 AM

Not if just doing the Norway in a Nutshell loop from say Bergen.
Apr 10th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

I am trying to figure out an itinerary. We arrive and depart from Oslo, we have 14 days. I thought of flying
To Copenhagen- 3 days
Then fly to Bergen- a few days
From there visit the Fjords
Maybe stay a night in Flam
Would like to fly to Bodo from Bergen, to go to the Lofotons
Then fly back to Oslo from Bodo.
Does this sound doable?
Apr 10th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Should I book NIN parts from Bergen ahead of time? Thanks debitNM and PalenQ for your help.
Apr 10th, 2014, 06:31 PM

Instead of overnighting in Flam considering spending the night at the Stalheim. It's a stop on the Norway in the Nutshell route.

http://english.stalheim.dnn.gasta.no
Apr 11th, 2014, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

I did see the Stalheim Hotel, is it worth the money for the view? Any other good hotels there?
Apr 11th, 2014, 04:26 AM

Here something about the NIN I posted on another thread that may answer some of your questions.

PalenQ on Apr 9, 14 at 6:50pm
did the Nutshell from Bergen, returning to Bergen but since you get to Flan, if going that direction - east along Norway's largest and most beautiful fjord - you'll get to Flam in mid-afternoon or later depending on when you start.

If you want to end up in Flam take the train from Olso or Bergen to Voss (check out Knute Rockne's grave in the local cemetery in town) and then the thrilling mountain bus ride down to the fjord at Gudvagen - buses stop for a short while at the famous Stalheim hotel, nestled in the hills above the fjord -

then from Gudvagen take the boats to Flam - about a two-hour journey if I recall correctly - as awesome trip - you may even see whales! In decades of European travel the Nutshell thing is one of my all-time travel memories.

Flam is small and not much there except for some hotels and a few stores - bring food with you and picnic on the beach or snag some fresh fish frying for sale by the waterfront.

From Flam you take a great mountain train that climbs up to Myrdhal - the train makes a photo op stop at a roaring waterfall.

From Myrdhal either take trains back to Oslo or Bergen. It is easy to do as a day trip from Bergen - possible but a lot longer from Oslo.

Buy special combo tickets good for trains, bus and boat either in the Bergen train station or in Oslo's. Reservations are not needed or maybe even possible on the boat and bus I believe and they say you always can get on - train reservations from Oslo I believe are mandatory but not between Myrdhal, Voss and Bergen.

Bergen is a really neat city - an old Hanseatic port reeking of history - I liked it much more than modern Oslo, a much bigger city.

Check these informative sites for more info on NIN - www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel (special section in their free online European Planning & Rail Guide) and www.seat61.com. Just buy the all-inclusive ticket in Norway.

http://www.norwaynutshell.com/en/exp...in-a-nutshell/
Apr 11th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Is my itinerary ok?