Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Five hour layover - enough time to leave the airport?

May 20th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
We are traveling to Greece in September and will have a 5-hour layover in Switzerland both ways - one stop in Zurich, the other in Geneva. Do you think we might have time to leave the airport and see anything nearby? Or should we just camp out and wait for our flight?

If I knew that we would be stopping there when we booked our trip I would have planned a longer stay - darn!

Thanks for any advice.
May 20th, 2003, 02:39 PM
LJ

You asked very nicely but without any reference as to which airport you mean. I am sorry I can't help with your question directly as I don't know Switzerland but suggest you re-post with the aiport name and city in the title, as there are those on this forum who know Switzerland very well and should be able to help.
May 20th, 2003, 04:52 PM

Mas16, Here's another thread about 5 hours in Zurich with some good advice:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

I've never been to the Geneva airport but I have been to Geneva. My impression is that the airport is about 20 min. by train to the main station. Given that, I would think you have plenty time to take the train to Geneva and walk down to the lake. You can do a little shopping, walk along the promenade, get some fresh air between flights.

Have fun!
May 20th, 2003, 05:38 PM

The international airport for Zürich is located in the suburb of Kloten.
The train station is co-located with the airport. There are many trains during the day from the airport to the main station in the city center and the ride is a short one.

You should have time to take a train to the main station and walk around the downtown area for over 2 hours. There are as many as 8 trains per hour and the travel time is less than 15 minutes.

Jun 9th, 2003, 12:18 AM

There is a train station at the Geneva airport. You can catch a train there and be at the main station very quickly (less than 20mins). The main station is just a few blocks from the lake and the jet d'eau. You'll have plenty of time since you'll already be checked into your flight. Just be warned that there are only 2 lines at the passport control and at certain times, they can be fairly long.