five days in sweden

Mar 25th, 1999, 09:16 AM
fran

five days in sweden

We are flying from NY to Stockholm arriving morning of July 9. We board a Silversea cruise ship on July 14 and want to spend those 5 days touring Sweden (or should we go to Helsinki or Oslo??). Trying to put together a first class itinerary that's realistic for 5 days. We've never been to Sweden, NOrway or Finland and would like to take in as much as possible. Expenses not an issue. Any help is appreciated! much thanks.

Mar 25th, 1999, 09:48 AM
michele

Fran,

Stockholm is a beautiful city and well worth your time. Rick Steves and others have plenty of specific information about what to do. There are plenty of parks, musuems, boat rides, etc. I cannot remember the name of the artist, it begins with an "M" (I think), but his home and surrounding sculpture garden is not to be missed. (Someone on this forum will know).

Mar 25th, 1999, 11:34 AM
jeff

Consider taking the ferry over to Helsinki. Boats leave early evening and arrive Helsinki 8 a.m. so you could spend a day in Helsinki then catch the return boat to Sweden your last night -- although if you're boarding another boat you may get burnt out on cruising. But I found Helsinki to be a neat city, and with a much different atmoshpere than Stockholm. But be sure to spend at least two or three days in Stockholm, and make sure you take in the museam witht the old boat in it -- can't remember the name of it right now, but you'll find it in one of the tourist brochures in Sweden. Stockholm is a great city, especially in the early summer.

Mar 25th, 1999, 06:23 PM
Bill Irving

A few years back, we went to Scandinavia. Because we only had 12 days, we only spent time in Oslo, Stockholm, & Copenhagen. We enjoyed all 3 cities, but our favorite was Oslo. It was a beautiful area, & the people were all very warm & friendly. Enjoyed visiting the Viking Ship museum, Thor Hyerdahl museums, the outdoor museum. Taking a boat ride on the Oslo fiord, walking through the stores along the harbor. Going through the park with all the statues & eating at the outdoor cafe in the park. We didn't have time to go to the ski jump. In Stockholm we stayed at the Queen's hotel which was recomended by Rick Steves. We spent alot of time in the old town - Gamala Stan, & at the park near our hotel - there was so much going on at that park. Went to the Vasa museum, went through some of the palaces. One place(I can't remember the name) we walked on an island through country with deer, to what was once a royal summer house/palace, which to this day still doesn't have electricity & is only opened for a limited time. We were there in early June. The sun stayed up until about 11pm, then came up again about 3am. You can't go wrong in either place. But if you would like to visit another place, my 1st recomendation would be Oslo.

Mar 26th, 1999, 08:37 AM
Rene

I would recommend 3 nights in Stockholm, then Silja ship to Helsinki(leaves 6pm) arrives next morning, day in Helsinki, then return to Stockholm (2 nights spent on the ship) I think 5 days is to short to rent car and try to drive, but could spend 2 nights in Dalarna countryside.

Apr 7th, 1999, 02:31 AM
Janne

I'd recommend seeing either Oslo or Helsinki. Both are equally nice but perhaps Helsinki would be more easily accessible from Stockholm. The ferries between Sweden and Finland are huge as small towns so you won't get bored during the cruise. Some of the restaurants on the ferries are excellent. Also, this way you can see the archipelago of Stockholm which is simply BEAUTIFUL.

Apr 7th, 1999, 04:20 AM
fran

As much as I liked Oslo,Stockholm is not to be missed! I thought Oslo was a "simple city", which was actually very refreshing, but Stockholm was grand! Unfortunately a lot of people bypass Scandanavia on their trips to Europe, and boy are they missing out on some beautiful and interesting places!

Apr 8th, 1999, 08:11 AM
Denny

Fran: The sculpture garden is called Millesgarden on the island of Lidingo, just outside Stockholm. It was the home and studio of Carl Milles. It is a beautiful place. Also tour the Stockholm city hall, location of the Nobel Prize banquet. Climb the tower for fabulous views of the city. The Vasa Museum (built to house the man-of-war ship which sank on its maiden voyage) is in Djurgarden. The Vasa is a remarkable example of marine archaeology. ALso in Djurgarden is the Skansen open-air museum. Stockholm hosts a major festival each summer called the Water Festival.I'm not sure of the dates for this year, but the Swedish Tourist Office would know. My family loved Stockholm (we hope to go back someday, and also add Helsinki and Oslo to our itinerary). Enjoy a great trip!