Reload this Page >

UK Safety for the Single Girl...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 01:00 PM
Jennifer

I am a 26 y.o. and I will be visiting friends and family in May (my 3rd UK trip). I have spent lots of time in Kent, and will be visiting people in Oxford and Plymouth this go round as well. I plan to also visit the Cotswolds. <BR> <BR>While I do keep a cautious eye open at all times, I tend to feel extremely safe in my family's hometown in Kent. I am wondering how safe I am traveling by train on my own, as well as exploring the streets of several small towns. <BR> <BR>As Americans, we tend to be very cautious I think, and I while I don't want to ruin my trip by being paranoid, I don't want to get so comfortable that I end I in places I shouldn't be. <BR> <BR>Any posts are appreciated, but would especially like to hear from other single women travelers, and/or women who have lived in the UK. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 01:26 PM
Sheila

Just be sensible. <BR> <BR>It's not a prooblem to use the train; but don't use it late at night to and from plaaces where you are likely to be the only traveller. <BR> <BR>Don't hitch-hike. <BR>You are unlikley to have problems exploring small towns; but keep your eyes open after dark. Be careful about going into pubs on your own- mostly it's Ok; some you might have a problem in. <BR> <BR>Don' be paranoid; and remember that, contrary to what I read about America ( but have no direct experience of) most people will be good guys; and if you get into trouble, most people will go the extra mile to help. <BR>

Old Apr 6th, 1999, 01:29 PM
Sheila

Just be sensible. <BR> <BR>using trains is unlikley to be a problem; but maybe you don't want to travel late at night to and from places where you will be the only traveller. <BR> <BR>Vsting small towns should be fine; don't go anywhere that looks dodgy after dark. <BR> <BR>Pick pubs carefully. Most will be fine for a woman on her own. Some will not. <BR> <BR>Most people are good guys. if you get into trouble most pople will go the extra mile to help you <BR> <BR>Have a good time; and don't worry.

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 01:00 AM
tracy

Hi Jennifer, <BR> <BR>You'll be fine -- sounds like you've already got eyes in the back of your head (meaning keeping alert & listening to whether you think anything's amiss). <BR> <BR>When I was traveling, I'd never go to a pub by myself -- much preferred a nice coffee somewhere! -- and I kept conversation with random people (eg, guys) to a minimum. My purpose was to see new things, not make new 'friends.' <BR> <BR>Have a great trip! <BR>xo <BR>T

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 08:53 AM
Jennifer

Thanks so much for your postings! Makes me feel much more at ease, and confident that (unlike here, unfortunately) you needn't be total paranoid, and a little common sense goes a long way! <BR> <BR>Ta! <BR> <BR>Jennifer