Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Five days in France - what would you do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:45 PM
Katie

We'll have five days in Paris in November (a business thing). And will have five days for some other part of France. Have only been to Paris, and loved it. Where else would you go in France and why? Would like to only cover one area, so as not to rush. Love everything ... museums, food, wine, countryside, villages, historical things, festivals, etc. Haven't decided on car or train. Have been to other parts of Europe, but not France. Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:14 PM
Julie

I like southern France--the Cote d'Azur area--Nice, Antibes, Mougins, Vence, etc. because there's so much to see in such a small area. Lots of artists lived there and have museums, such as the Chagall Museum in Nice, Picasso in Antibes, plus others such as Renior and Matisse. <BR><BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:16 PM
StCirq

I would be remiss if I didn't suggest the Dordogne.......

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:25 PM
Brian Kilgore

I'd follow Julie to the south.<BR><BR>In November it will be cool, soyou can't swim, but many of the tourists will be gone so you can get to see the pictures in the galleries and get seats at the restaurants.<BR><BR>But here's another thought.<BR><BR>You've got a few months to prepare, so why not learn a bit more about something French, and then go to that part of the country.<BR><BR>What's great about France is that no matter where you go, you'll probably have a great time.<BR><BR>If you have relatives that served in WW II in France, maybe you could visit the part of France they were in.<BR><BR>You could get a book about French wines, and then buy a good bottle from each of eight regions to enjoy each Saturday evening with dinner during August and September, and then go to the region that provided the wine you liked the best.<BR><BR>Do you have a hobby that has a French connection? If you're a photographer, go to the Arles area of proivence even if there's no giant photo extravaganza on. <BR><BR>Equestrian? Go to the Camargue.<BR><BR>Love skiing? Go to the Genoble area and just check out the resorts even though you probably can't ski yet. Late enough in November and maybe it is OK.<BR><BR>BAK

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:13 AM
ttttt

Topping for Katie....

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:27 AM
Grasshopper

I would either take the TGV to Tours and rent a car and explore the Loire Valley. Or take a TGV to Lyon, stay there for a couple of days, then rent a car and explore the Parc du Pilat and Le Puy areas.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:30 AM
ann

I would drive to Italy !!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:34 AM
carol

I would take the TGV to Beaune and drink wine for four days.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:36 AM
Susan

I'd stay in Paris!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:47 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Get down to the South !<BR>Paris - Nimes Euro 53 one way with Air Littoral.<BR><BR>Read about it here -<BR><BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:28 PM
Susan

nORMANDY, FOR THE FOOD, THE HX., THE SCENERY, THE PEOPLE, THE CIDER, THE wAR, THE WATER, THE LACE, THE TAPESTRY, THE FARM B&B'S....

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 12:49 PM
JBX

.<BR>My latest favorite website --- log into<BR>www.festivals.com to get an extensive list of what festivals & fairs are going on in France (or other places around the world.)<BR><BR>

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 01:02 PM
LSKahn

Any of the suggested itineraries would be fine. It depends on what your interest is. The Loire, Alsace & Burgundy would involve les travel time than schlepping to the south. On the other hand, it will be November and you might want to schlep to the south for milder weather. I would vote for Provence or the Cote d'Azur over the Dorgogne given your time limitations based on the fact that they are more easily accessible by train.<BR><BR>Personally, my favorite area of France for scenery is Alsace. For food, it is a toss up between Alsace & Burgundy. For history, it's the Loire. I have been to most of the areas of France but certainly not all of them. Everyone has his own favorite.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Julie

You must go to Versaille. We went to Paris and it was a beautiful city to see!! It is a must!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 11:28 PM
Karen

Katie,<BR>My daughter married a Frenchman in Paris last summer after living there 3 years. He is from a beautiful medieval town about an hour out of Paris called Senlis -wonderful gothic cathedral - in the Picardy region. Great chateau nearby - Chantilly.<BR>Also recommend Versailles, access.by train from Paris. My very favorite place to visit is Giverny, the home and gardens of Claude Monet, also an hour or so away (Water Lily ponds are there.)<BR>If you want a totally different region, my daughter loved Normandy - lots of WWII history - Caen, Deauville, etc. One of her favorite sites was Mont St. Michel. (spelling?) In the south, she said the wealth of Monte Carlo was hard to believe! Good luck. I've never been anywhere in France that wasn't beautiful.