First Trip to Italy

Jan 4th, 2000, 01:31 PM
Maureen

First Trip to Italy

My husband and I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary this year. He would like to go to Rome and see the Sistine Chapel.I would like to see Florence or Milan as well.I have a habit of trying to do too much in one trip... What's a reasonable plan for a ten day trip? Should we do Rome this trip and travel to Milan on another adventure? Any tips??

Jan 4th, 2000, 01:40 PM
Dawn

10 days a reasonable amount of time if that is all you can swing. Only one problem this year, Jubileo. There are going to be several extra million people in Italy for this reason. When do you want to go? It may be very difficult if not impossible to find lodging. Florence and Milan should be easier. I'd spend 5 days Rome, 3 days Florence, and 2 in Milan, with one of the days in Milan taking a train trip to one of the lakes. They are fabulous and only about an hour away from Milan.

Jan 6th, 2000, 12:22 PM
gwen

On my first trip to Italy we did 3 days in Venice, 3 in Florence, 1 in Sienna and 3 in Rome. Could easily have spent more time at any of these, but am glad we didn't miss any of them! My advice: Enough time in each city to feel you've soaked it up, rather than feeling rushed. Even a week in Rome wouldn't be enough, but there's always next time, and Florence and Venice shouldn't be missed.

Jan 6th, 2000, 12:48 PM
Beth

I don't like to move around too much during a trip, but we did 9 days divided up into 4 Rome, 3 Venice, and 2 Florence. It wasn't enough time anywhere, but I wouldn't have missed any of it.(We also spent a whole week in Tuscany, so were able to do Siena). Since Rome and Florence are what interest you, how about 5 days in Rome, and 5 days in Florence, only from Florence you do 1 day trip to Siena, and maybe 1 day trip into Chianti. Train from Rome to Florence is less than 2 hours, so its easy. I don't think there is as much to see in Milan. If you want to squeeze in another city, add Venice. Its a 4 hour train ride from Florence.

Jan 7th, 2000, 01:44 AM
Lindsay

Hi Maureen,

Rome is always worth seeing, the Sistine Chapel is wonderful but so too are many of the rooms along the way( it is not so easy just to see the Sistine Chapel!!)If it came to a choice between Florence & Milan, I would have to choose Florence. I spent a week in both in May'99 and my lasting memories of Milan beyond the Doumo, La Scala, Galleria & Castello Forza was all the graffiti and dog poo everywhere!!However lake Como is less than an hour from Milan and well worth the visit! Have fun.

Jan 9th, 2000, 12:09 PM
Dawn

Dawn,
Thanks for replying to my email. I have found the Forum to be so very helpful. Thanks for your input. Maureen

Jan 9th, 2000, 03:18 PM
Kelly

Maureen,

My husband and I honeymooned for 14 days in Italy last year and loved every minute of it! We went to Rome, Naples (w/side trips to Pompeii and Capri), Florence, Pisa, Venice and Milan. Rome, Florence and Venice were our favorites; each has a different personality and charm. I would suggest visiting these three cities and skipping Milan. I couldn't agree with Lindsay more; we were in Milan for a day and a half. We were on a tour and saw the sights (Il Duomo and La Scala..that's about all there is of note) in a half day and spent the second day at Lake Como and Lake Lugano (Switzerland, but just a 15 minute ride from como, if I remember correctly). The lake region is breathtaking, but I'm not sure I'd recommend going up North just for that on this particular trip. You can always try to go back and incorporate it with a trip to Switzerland.

There is so much to do in Venice, Rome and Florence, the time will fly. As Lindsay mentioned, there is more to the Sistine Chapel than just the chapel. I found the rooms leading up to it even more impressive than the chapel itself. Allow at least a half day to see this area as St. Peter's Basilica is here as well and is also a "must see" (even if you don't happen to be Christian). Have a wonderful trip (I'd love to go back)!!!

Jan 9th, 2000, 06:49 PM
Ed

Much as we love Rome, you can certainly fit two cities into your trip and not have great regrets.

I'd spend two nights in Florence on such a trip. Just 2-1/2 hours from Rome.

While there are those who argue on behalf of Milan, it's not much of a city for a pleasure visit ... certainly in comparison to Rome and Florence.

There's sooo much more in Rome than the Sistine Chapel, just as there's so much more in the Vatican than the Chapel.

Check our Rome Sights at www.twenj.com/romesights.htm

wwwltwenj.com
Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria

Jan 14th, 2000, 08:03 PM
JohnC

It's easy to get around by train in Italy, and in 10 days you can comfortably spend time in three cities. For an anniversary trip you really should try to include a couple of days in Venice. It is the most magical city. Wandering at night lost among the crazy twisting streets and canals, with music wafting out the windows of some magnificent old palazzo, could be the most romantic thing you'll ever experience.