Rome lodgings-am I unrealistic?

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 12:57 PM
Denise

Rome lodgings-am I unrealistic?

We are taking our 13 year old son to Rome in April during Easter week and am trying to get a hotel. Is it unrealistic to get a nice hotel in a good location for under $200.00 a night. Preferably $150.00 a night or less would be preferred. I would appreciate any hotel recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Denise

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 02:17 PM
Rex

I predict that you CAN still find something. A key to this kind of search in a high-demand situation is to try reserving the best combination (price, location and features) you can find, and then move closer to your target in decreasing circles. - - In other words, maybe you initially find a price and features you can live with, but the location is somewhat far out. Then focus on a better location, trying to hold close to the same features and price. And then once you find a location, try to find a better price in a similar location, etc.

www.italyhotel.com has been in my experience of nearly a dozen reservations highly reliable, accurate and dependable - - not only for inquiries and reservations - - but for cancellations as well (perhaps the most important test of a web-based service).

You're going to have to simply go there (you have to register, but it's free) and start hunting and pecking.

Best of luck,

Rex

Old Jan 14th, 2000, 03:20 PM
howard

Rex, you may be more optimistic than the reality. At least, that's my conclusion after reading an article in today's USA Today, which does not paint a very optimistic picture for those planning to go to Rome this year.
"An unexpected influx of pilgrims in the first days of the Jubilee year caused serious logistical snags and prompted doubts about the city's ability to welcome a large wave of tourists in 2000," reads the lead paragraph.
The article goes on to say, "Many described the first weekend of 2000 as a humiliating transportation debacle." The Italian government now estimates that the number of tourists will nearly double this year (from 14 million to 26 million).
The article adds: "Experts say visitors also should adopt a pragmatic attitud....[and] avoid Romes' city center and reserve hotel rooms either in the suburbs or on the coast and commute on a daily basis by train." And, of course, Easter week is expected to be one of the peak weeks.
I'd say, certainly follow Rex's advice, but you may have to settle for less than what you wanted!

Old Jan 15th, 2000, 04:28 AM
Maira

Denise--- if it comes down to staying a bit off the center of Rome's main sights, I recommend the Sheraton. we took advantage of the Entertainment Book (let me know if you are not familiar with this discounts book) and booked a double at the Sheraton at 50% of the regular price. Spacious, very comfortable rooms, van transportation back and forth from/to the Capitoline Hill area every hour on the hour. Excellent buffet breakfast included. Great, courteous staff. Train station nearby, if choose to use it.

Old Jan 15th, 2000, 07:33 AM
Denise

I have been calling a few hotels. Some are higher than I really wanted to spend. Researched on this site and found the Hotel Smeraldo which was recommended by many. The price was in our range (150.00), so I booked it. The thing that kills the budget is the triple. Much more than a double. My son better not
give me any grief!
Thanks to all,
Denise