First Trip to Italy

Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

First Trip to Italy

I'm going to Italy in May - first time- actually first time out of the USA. I'll fly into and out of Rome, but plan to head up to Florence as well. Will be there 10 days. Will anyone offer suggestions on places to stay and a trip agenda??
Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:23 PM

Suggestion: Read the existing threads on this board for Rome & Florence. Take helpful info from what you read and plan your trip. Ask specific questions after that if you have them.

Everyone will be glad to help, but we are not travel agents. Do your own homework first.
Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:54 PM

jestorm, this forum has a wealth of information, but the posters can help you a lot more if you give more information. What is your budget for a hotel? Do you require a private bathroom? Do you require an elevator? Which is more important to you, price or location?
As to an agenda, what interests you? Churches? Museums? Gardens? History? Art? Shopping? You get the idea. Give everyone more to go on!
Also, if you do some searches at the top of the page, you'll get lots of information.
Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:58 PM

Really, jestorm, that's just plain lazy on your part. Go buy a couple of guidebooks, plan a tentative itinerary and then come back and ask for feedback. Do your homework first!
Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:02 PM
rex

<<Will anyone offer suggestions on places to stay...>>

Actually, plenty of "us" (regulars) are willing to make recommendations on lodging - - but it's pointless without knowing a budget range. Think of a total lodging budget, not just a "per night per room". You might do well to think about keeping Rome to as few as four or five nights - - so that you can spend more there (you typically HAVE to spend more in Rome to get the btter locations, features, decor, etc) - - and "dollar-cost-average" down by choosing some other destinations where you can economize (especially or rural or small towns).

ASAP, you need the biggest general guide book on Italy (or individual books on Rome and other destinations in Italy) that you can get your hands on, sit down and inhale in short order - - read it cover to cover just like a novel - - I recommend starting at the biggest public library available to you; there's time to go to bookstores later and actually buy something for the trip.

Florence is easily worth two nights/days (assuming that you would allocate 4 or 5 to Rome); that leaves some creative thinking possibilities -- and getting ideas about what turns you on the most will help get you the best advice relevant to you.

tpatricco didn't seem all that willing to cut you some slack, and that isn't necessarily typiacl here - - after all, it is your first post ever here (how did I know that? click on your own name - - this is the easiest way to find this and any other messages you post - - a tip that Fodors fails to share with new registrants in the e-mail they send out to you when you first join.

Best wishes,

Rex
Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:35 AM

1. 3 nights in Rome.
2. Train to Orvieto, rent a car and spend the next 4 nights exploring the countryside from a home base in Siena. Must-see towns are Civita di Bagnoregio, San Gimignano, and Volterra.
3. Drop the car in Florence and spend the next 3 nights there.
Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:01 AM
ira

Hi j,

This might help you get started.

Helpful Information: Italy http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34443340
Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:09 AM

I was in Italy for the first time in the fall and spent about 10 days as well. I recommend seeing Venice while there, if you can, just b/c so unique, in my opinion. It does help to know what sort of things you may be interested in. For example, I have friends and family who loved Florence, but since I am not so much in to art museums, I thought 2 days there was plenty! I wish I had more time in the Chianti region b/c I like wine and would have toured some wineries and small villages (many have little festivals on the weekends - don't know what May is like - we stumbled upon 3 such things on one Sunday!).
I do recommend seeing San Gimignano & Siena, while in Tuscany, as others have. You could easily pick one of those 2 as a "base" to explore the others.
Good luck & have fun!