Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First trip to Ireland in March: what should I take to wear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:56 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read other posts that said it will be 40-50 degrees with a strong, cold wind. considering it's about 3 degrees above zero here with a STRONG wind, I think that should like a heat wave!!! Should I be concerned with bringing a winter coat, mittens, etc? Or should I do more layers like a sweater under more of a spring coat or rain coat? I guess I'm trying to pack as light as possible, yet want to stay warm and dry. Any advice? Are jeans acceptable for touring, shopping, and pubs? Thanks!!

Tia
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:02 AM

Jeans are fine for touring around, shopping and pubs. You'd prob be better with more layers than with heavy coats, gloves etc as the weather can be changeable. Last year we had quite a good March so hopefully more of the same this year.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:56 AM

Layers. During a late November trip, I wore a T-shirt under a long-sleeved shirt under a sweater under a GoreTex rain parka. I just subtracted layers when it got sunny and warmer, and added them back when the rain and wind developed. Jeans are fine.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:27 AM

We were there in March and I would suggest the layers. Invest in a rain proof parka. Ours was not Gortex, but we wore them every day.
The hood helped with the strong winds. I did take thin mittens.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:11 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the info!!!!

Tia
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:45 PM

To The Top for Tomboy!
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 04:17 AM

Tia, I took my wool peacoat to Ireland last March and wore it twice, to the airport coming and going. You'll be much better off with layers, but don't forget the hat and mittens for coastline excursions. Dress in Ireland is casual, so jeans are fine for touring, but bring a couple of dressier options for Dublin. By mid March you'll experience spring.... tulips, daffodils, and amazing primrose everywhere. Enjoy your "spring break" in Ireland.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:55 AM

I went in March last year(late). Although the weather report said it would rain the first 4 days it only rained on day. It was cool though and I bought a nice wool sweater(with a zipper) that I could use alone or under my rain jacket. I would recommend layers and a rain jacket.Jeans are fine for everything. I had one pair just reserved for the pubs because of the smoke, but now you shouldn't have to worry about that with the smoking ban.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 04:25 PM

When I went to Ireland in March of 2001 (going again this March!) I bought a Columbia jacket because it's 2 jackets in one. I generally only ended up wearing the outer shell, the temps were mild, but you needed it for the rain. Good luck!
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 04:54 PM

We were in the NW of Ireland last April, and I wore mostly what I had worn in March a couple of years earlier: jeans, camisole, turtleneck, sweater, windbreaker with hood, gloves. I always take a dressier outfit but usually don't wear it since we tend to eat only in pubs. I don't take a hat because I don't normally wear one (we live in upstate NY where it is VERY cold right now, still no hat). We take rain ponchos but end up not using them. We do run into a lot of wind, though. We have been very lucky in our Ireland travels, because we have had very little rain in 3 trips. Last year, everyone we met said how wonderful the weather was. The only day it rained was the day we flew home! So if our Paris weather is this good...!
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:06 PM

I took a light windbreaker with a hood (which helped with the rain)and layered my clothes underneath. Also, i had 2 tops that ended up being my "pub wear" because of the smokey smell! Couldn't wash clothes so i just tried to air them out and rewear to another pub!
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:37 PM

Last year I got a sunburn in Ireland, but that's very rare. I agree with the dress in layers theory, a light gore-tex outer shell works well over a sweater. My secret weapon is super thin capilene thermal underwear - top & bottom, Patagonia's are great. It packs light and takes up little room. A headband, warm hat and gloves are essential in March in Ireland. You can count on it to rain, but that's why they invented the Irish pub.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:43 PM

BarbBC3 has some great advice if you hate cigarate smoke on your clothes - dedicate one entire set of clothing as your "pub uniform" and wear that out at night until you have to just burn those clothes and throw them out. I would add that it's handy to take a plastic trash bag to store 'em separately, else you'll contaminate all the rest of your clothes.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 03:51 PM

I usually wore a t shirt with a flannel shirt over that and a windbreaker or light coat when I went in March 2000.

The weather really wasn't cold at all even tho it was below 50 most of the time. It was actually colder when we left Phoenix than when we arrived in DUblin!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Everyone is so helpful! Again, thank you SO MUCH for the info!!! I greatly appreciate it!

Tia