March trip to Ireland

Search

March trip to Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2011, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
March trip to Ireland

Confused on what to pack...following the present temperatures online and looking at how others are dressed in photos of March in past years has left me unsure of what to pack!
I live in southern California, so I'm not accoustomed to cold weather. Will I need a winter coat, or is it really better to layer? I have an unlined trench coat, should I take that and sweaters to wear underneath?
I want to be prepared, but once I get to Ireland I don't want to think about weather. I just want to have FUN!!!
I will be visiting Dublin, Kilkenny, Waterford, Galway and lots of sights in between.
Thanks for any help you can send my way.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 09:07 AM

I would go for layers but warm ones. It can be very cold in exposed areas particularly on the west coast. For me, gloves, scarf, hat and socks are more important and more flexible than a heavy winter coat.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 09:12 AM

I agree with layers. And ... thermal underwear takes up no room in the luggage--and will keep you warm if you hit a cold, windy snap. It's hard to predict the weather.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 10:35 AM

I usually take several pairs of silk underwear ( long pants and long sleeved tops) when traveling in cooler climates. You can wear them as an under layer for warmth during the day and use them for pajamas as well. They wash out and dry easily.

I would not take a coat. Layers, as suggested, is your best bet, and I'd bring a water proof 3/4 length jacket with hood. If you can get one with a zipper lining for additional warmth, that's even better.

Brand suggestions would be LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, Lands End in addition to the usual Patagonia, Columbia, North Face etc.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Your advice is much appreciated!