First trip to Europe advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My adult daughter and I want to go to Europe next year- this may be a once in a lifetime trip for us so want to plan carefully.

She is interested in Spain, Portugal, Italy and while that sounds great to me- I am also interested in Prague - and maybe Switzerland and Austria .

Where would the American dollar go the farthest?
Any advice for this novice in European travel
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Spain is significantly cheaper than Italy. I don't know about the others you mention, because I haven't been to them in some time. Anyway, if you post with specifics of your trip ( time for vacation, budget, interests) I'm sure you'll get a lot more specific posts. Good luck!
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 12:49 PM

Prague - extremely inexpensive
Portugal - Austria - prices "about the same" as in the US.
Italy - expensive
Switzerland - very! expensive
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 12:50 PM

How many days are you planning to be gone and do you require a car or will extremely efficient, inexpensive train travel work for you? Start thinking about an overall budget amount and we can help you move forward.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 12:51 PM
rex

The greatest service that &quot;we&quot; can provide to you... is to &quot;disabuse&quot; you of this notion of &quot;once in a lifetime&quot; - - tackling this as a <i>true</i> once in a lifetime trip could mean any or all of the following things.

1. Spending 6 weeks and $15,000 per person by virtue of unfamiliarity with how to plan, and still not necessarily seeing some of the &quot;coolest&quot; places that you travel right by (on the other hand, what's attractive to you will not be to someone else, and through the eyes of first-time traelers, there will be awe and wonder at things that will mean less to you on any subsequent trips; that's neither a good nor a bad thing).

or...

2. You whiz here and there in 12 days, spending 50, 60 or more waking hours in <i>vehicles</i> (not counting your trans-atlantic air travel), so that your cost per actual travel &quot;day&quot; (if you ever havbe a full travel <i>day</i> is 2, 3 or 4 times what it could/should be.

3. You come home barely having a grasp what is the difference between Austria and the Czech Republic; didn't really find out what is the &quot;soul&quot; of Italy (it must have at least &quot;fifty of them&quot, and/or don't really have an idea how many different regions of Spain (or Italy) you could have chosen from - - and having sped through one or two, not necessarily have any appreciation of the history, culture and art of any one country. For less than $5, you could buy a used copy of Michener's Iberia, and &quot;get it&quot; better than what you might be thinking to do.

This sounds harsher than I want to sound, and others will offer you 50 different ways to say the same things or their own personal perspectives on it.

I would propose any two of the countries you mention: Spain/Portugal or Italy/Austria or Austria/Czech Republic or Spain/Italy (and there are many more good pairings) - - think about how much money you can afford to spend (hopefully $4000-5000 per person)... then make a savings plan for 40% of that amount for trip numnber two, in 2007 (or afterwards).

Take the remaining 60% and start making a skeleton outline of a 10-15 day trip (perhaps in April, May, June or October, to save money) - - and throw out some itinerary ideas here.

Plan on saving $10 a week for the next two years, and that, added to your 40% in the bank will fund your second trip - - and you will be so much smarter about how to see the next two countries that interest you, be able to enjoy it more, and a lot more economically.

I'll be eager to see how others phrase a similar (or different) answer.

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 12:52 PM

Of course, even in the &quot;expensive&quot; cities you can always stay certain places or eat a certain way to help curtail costs without skipping the entire country.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 12:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you have any idea of how many weeks you will be traveling? That will help to decide how many countries it is reasonable to visit on the trip.

Switzerland is I believe the most expensive of those you mention. Your dollar will go the shortest distance there! That said, it is one of my favorite places.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 01:20 PM
sockboy

It doesn't sound at all like you are planning on trying to see &quot;everything&quot; which is the common &quot;once in a lifetime&quot; syndrome.

Italy is a great destination for a first trip to Europe. Italy and Austria would make a good combination, and give both of you part of what you are looking for.

Depending on how long you are going for, you could also make a great south to north trip, starting in Venice and ending in Prague. How long are you planning on going for? The longer you have, the more ground you can cover!

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 01:49 PM

If you are only going once, you should go to someplace you really want to see. Having said that, if you travel off season, stay in hostels, pensions, convents and the like and eat at moderate restaurants and picnic, then you can do it more often--at least every other year.

Spain, Portugal and Italy work well in March when it isn't too hot. I spent a month in Italy in 2003 and I've just seen Rome, Florence and Venice with a day trip to Tuscany.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 02:26 PM

I agree about the expense in Switzerland and the lesser expense in places such as Spain.

One thing to consider in Switzerland is the quality of the hotels at the &quot;lower star&quot; levels. We have found these to be more than adequate and the folks there are immaculate housekeepers, too.

I also think you can get a lot for your money in a city such as Prague, especially if you enjoy all things medieval in a city which has an &quot;old town&quot; that still LOOKS medieval (simply ignore the trams and cars). LOTS to see and do in a relatively small area.

Carefully consider your transport options, too, and look at every possibility to include rail, bus, and cheap intra-European flights to maximize your sightseeing time.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 04:13 PM

Geez, Rex -- lighten up a little. It's only travel.

You're not going to find the &quot;soul of Italy&quot; -- or any other place -- in a twenty-day tourist outing. So don't even try.

Go to a good bookstore and purchase some books on the locations you think you're interested in, and go from there.

We visited several countries in our monthlong tour of Europe. Cost was not a factor -- we just searched for the lodgings we could afford, be it Switzerland, Venice or Paris. It worked out to under $5,000 for the two of us. And we didn't feel particularly frugal.

It's leisure time, for heaven's sake.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 10:33 PM

Have her pick her number-one, tippy-top, can't-miss destination. Then you pick yours.

Go to both. Enjoy.

In a year or two, rinse and repeat.

Rex is right - covering too much ground can ruin the trip you DO have, regardless of the future trips you might not have.

Love him or hate him, Rick Steves has one piece of invaluable advice: &quot;Always assume you're going back.&quot;

I'm envious of you and your daughter's chance to do this together. Have a great time!
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 05:13 AM
rex

&lt;&lt;our monthlong tour of Europe... Switzerland, Venice... Paris.... worked out to under $5,000 for the two of us...&gt;&gt;

If this really was your first trip to Europe ever, then my hat is off to you. It sounds like an uncommonly successful first trip - - and yet, unless you're leaving something off, it was still only half the number of countries mentioned by &quot;sunburn&quot;.

A lot of debating going on here, when we don't as yet have any clue how much money or time sunburn and daughter have in mind.

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 06:46 AM

A lot depends on when you are going, and how much time you have. For a first timer to Europe, the ability to comfortably get around could be a factor. You will be surprised how different many things are in Europe - little things like door locks, dining times, parking meters, etc, etc. For this reason, you might want to get your first European experience in a country that is relatively easy to converse and navigate in. Of your choices, Austria and Switzerland would be best for this, with Austria being less expensive. How about a week in Vienna, Salzburg, and the Wachau valley, and then a week exploring Venice and Northern Italy? We did this a few years ago and it worked out very well. If you are going at a cooler time of year, Southern Spain is also very magical, and fairly inexpensive (however the food can't compare with Italy). The white villages of Andalucia, and parts of the Spanish coast are very beautiful - just avoid the Costa del Sol concrete high rises.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Regarding the $5K tour, I should add: That was back in the days of the 95-cent Euro, and the 9/11-depressed airlines.

(Was it that long ago?)
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 07:48 AM

I strongly agree with Rex. Everytime I hear someone ask for advice on a &quot;once in a lifetime&quot; trip to Europe, I cringe.

I would pick one or two countries and focus on exploring them the best you can. Then go back. Once you do it and realize that you saved up for it once, you can do it again, and that it's not difficult to get over there, I think you'll be back.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Sunbum, having taken 4 trips to Europe with my mom, they've all been once in a lifetime trips.

I like to start planning by drawing up a blank calendar and creating a separate wish list of places to visit. On the wish list, I write in the estimated number of days for each location. I prioritize the wish list and pencil in the locations and number of overnights in each one, so it's easier to see what works logistically (with transportation and &quot;lost&quot; hours of traveling and checking in/out of hotels).

I've found that any destination can work into my budget and it's worth spending 5-10% more to visit my top choices rather than eliminating them due to potentially higher costs. I have an Excel spreadsheet to plug in all costs and it makes it easy to see where the $$ is going.

Also, time of year is a factor for where to go and how much it will cost.

Worktowander's idea sounds terrific - you each pick your #1 places and plan from there. Sometimes asking yourself what your answer to a simple question is, &quot;If I went to Europe and didn't visit &lt;&gt;, I would be so disappointed.&quot;

Your library might have travel DVDs that you could watch together.

This will be so much fun for you to plan together and the trip will be amazing wherever you go. Please keep posting as you plan and with more specific questions. Good luck!
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:35 AM

Hi Sunbum: What has worked well for me on my trips to Europe is taking some time to learn some of the language. A lot of the people speak English well, but I believe I've got more out of my trips by learning more than the basic polite phrases. It sounds like you might be going to more than one country; perhaps you could learn one language and your daughter the other? No, you won't be fluent, and that's fine. Yes, you may have trouble understanding replies since it's hard to practice listening back home, but that's OK too. From my experience and what I've been told, Spanish and Italian are often the easiest to learn, Portuguese and French are a little more difficult, and German is fairly challenging. I have no experience with the Czech language.

Anyway, whatever you chose, I hope you both have a wonderful trip.