First timers to London

Aug 21st, 2007, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

First timers to London

I'm planning my first trip to Europe and will arrive in London very late. Do you have any recommendations for a budget, but clean hotel near Heathrow. I'll probably want to hit the sack when I arrive. Thanks!
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:03 PM

Is London simply a transfer point or are you planning to stay there for a few days?

If staying, then why not go on into town? You said it would be late, but if you are traveling west-east, then you are going to be several hours earlier with your body clock. If the other way around, then yes you might be toasted by the time you arrive.

dave
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:06 PM

Oh, I didn't answer your question, sorry. I've never stayed near Heathrow, always went into town. If you decide to stay in London, you might want to try using Priceline to get a great rate. We got Thistle Charing Cross for about $95 per night with the bid.

dave
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:18 PM

You need to tell us what time you arrive and if you are staying in London at all before we can give the best advice.

But just to answer your question - I'd either do Priceline for a LHR area hotel or stay at the Hethrow Premier Travel Inn. PL will be s bit cheaper - but the Travel Inn will be about the best price if you want to book a place directly.
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:19 PM

meant to add - If London is your first destination (other than just connecting through) I would NOT stay out at the airport. I'd go in to town.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

We are taking a 10-day cruise that ends in Barcelona. We will spend the day in Barcelona and fly to London that evening for a 4-night stay. We will get into London around 10pm and will probably be tired. We were thinking that we may find a less expensive hotel for that first evening near the airport. Because we probably won't do anything except go to bed, the hotel isn't that big of deal. Then, we thought we'd get up in the morning and go into town and check into a nice hotel which we will stay in for 3 nights. If it's just as good to go into town on the first night, that's fine. We were just thinking we could save a little money on that first night.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:44 AM

IMHO that plan would be a mistake. 10 p.m. is not all that late. You would be traveling into the city around 11:00 when there is little or no traffic and can be checked in and sleeping by midnight.

Waiting until the next morning means returning to the VERY busy airport and traveling into London in the height of rush hour and competing w/ commuters for taxis, buses, tube seats, whatever.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JanisJ!
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:36 AM

for transportation to and from Heathrow an dLondon, check out Justairports.com. It's a car service, and has very reasonable rates, as compared to a taxi. We used them for roundtrip transfers (door to door) a few years ago and it all went very smoothly and easily.