Reload this Page >

First Time traveling outside North America

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 1998, 10:41 AM
M

My best friend and I are planning a trip for about a week during March. Can anyone suggest any places to go(or not to go)? I'm thinking mainly of major cities, and I'd prefer places that are tolerant with English-speakers(My French is mildly functional). We're college students so major nightlife is a definite plus. We'd also be interested in some sight-seeing, but nothing too touristy. We won't have access to a car, so transportation beyond cabs, buses, and such are out of the question.

Old Nov 20th, 1998, 01:32 PM
Nancy

I vote for London. It's great. No language barrier. The subway is easy to use and understand and gets you all over the city. Then there are the trains that go out into the countryside if you have any interest in that. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 20th, 1998, 02:52 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Hi - don't be hesitant about traveling to a foreign country because you don't know the language. It's easy to learn some key words and phrases. And so many Europeans speak some English anyway. And they're happy when you try their language. Part of the adventure of traveling to a foreign country is in experiencing the language, for me at least. In fact, I'm always a little disappointed if all I encounter are English speaking local folks. By the way, I remember my very first trip to Australia. My friend and I thought we'd have no problem since they speak English. Imagine our chagrin and surprise when some of the time we could not understand anything that was being said to us when we asked for directions. We got lost on a train trip because we totally misunderstood what we were told, and were too embarassed (and dumb) to ask them to repeat the info til we understood,or ask anyone else. Fortunately, when we reached the end of the line, a kindly conductor very slowly explained to us what we had to do to get to where we were trying to go. So I never make presumptions again about English! You'll have a wonderful time.

Old Nov 20th, 1998, 03:49 PM
nancy

Well, the language thing is fun and funny. When I went to London and took a cab from Victoria Station to my hotel the cab driver was talking ninety miles an hour and I think I only understood about 5 words he said. So your right about not making assumptions about the language. I agree that you should not be afraid to go to a country because of the language. When I was in France I did not find that to be a problem. <BR>

Old Nov 20th, 1998, 06:38 PM
Linda

London is a good choice but expensive. Let me offer two places that are great cities to visit & has history, nightlife & beauty--Prague, Czech Republic and Berlin, Germany. They are only 4 1/2 hours apart by train, less expensive, great beauty & museums, good nightlife, and friendly people who speak English. They are not as visited as London but I think you will be impressed.

Old Nov 23rd, 1998, 07:25 AM
erin

How about a combo trip, spend 3 nights in London and three nights in another city. London + Paris combos are very popular, in fact I'm doing this in March 1999. Granted you won't get to see everything in either city, but you will get the highlights. And what you miss, you can make up in a return visit!

Old Nov 24th, 1998, 07:48 AM
Polina

I vote for Amsterdam. My husband and I (we're in our twenties) were there for about a week this past summer and fell in love. The people are very friendly, and everyone does speak english. The canals are so beautiful at night. <BR> <BR>Also, I have never been to Prague, but I have read a lot about it. It sounds like a great place.

Old Nov 24th, 1998, 12:15 PM
wes fowler

M, <BR>I'd recommend London for a number of reasons. You won't have to cope with language problems (unless you encounter a cab driver from Yorkshire). London has an extremely active night life with fascinating theatre both in the West End and in experimental theatres thoughout the city. Both Cambridge and Oxford are within an hour's ride by train from London and are loaded with pubs and clubs catering to students on students' budgets. Both Cambridge and Oxford have websites you should explore. You'll find the Oxford site has links to critiques of all of the city's pubs and restaurants as well as the goings on on and off campuses. Good luck (I've never corresponded with a vestal vixen before; I'm positively enthralled!)