Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best times to visit specific European countries????

Old Jun 26th, 1998, 03:06 AM
Molly Donnelly

We are living in Scotland for the next 2-3 years and need to plan where to go. We have 2 wks off in Oct, Christmas & Apr and 7 weeks off from end of June thru mid-Aug. Where are the best places to go in Europe during these times? We are going to Copenhagen and Norway this summer and probably will do rest of Scan. next summer. Italy, Germany, Austria, Switz., Greece, France, Spain, Portugal are must sees. Weekend trips to Ireland & Paris & thru out Scotland are planned for whenever. I need a consensus on the above countries. Thanks!

Old Nov 21st, 1998, 12:51 AM
Paulo

I'm portuguese so...but I guess that you will enjoy to visit during April Lisbon and Alentejo and during June the south of portugal called Algarve.
Our main «raw material » is SUN.

Old Nov 21st, 1998, 06:47 AM
wes fowler

Molly,
I'd suggest you check out the websites for the tourist authorities of the countries you're interested in. Almost all have calendars of events throughout the year. You'll find out when folk festivals are being held, major museum exhibits, concerts and the like and can then plan your travel itineraries accordingly. The Michelin Green guides and the Baedecker guides also list seasonal events. Check them out as well.

Old Nov 22nd, 1998, 12:27 PM
Amy

I'm an American and have lived in Portugal for 3 years. I think Portugal is absolutely beautiful in October and in June/Aug. April can be rainy but you could luck out and get some wonderful sunny days too. Spain at those times are about the same. Whatever you do come to Portugal and before you do, send me an email and I'll let you know what to see.
Amy

Old Nov 23rd, 1998, 11:22 AM
Kay

Somehow on your long list of must-see's, Molly, you forgot Prague! It needs to be near the top, only don't go in July-August because it's very popular right now and you don't want to be there with everyone all at once. It is a sheer delight. Suggest you do a search for Prague topics on this forum and read some of the effusive postings about the joys of Prague. You will love it.

Old Nov 23rd, 1998, 12:37 PM
Don Stadler

I will be working in London beginning in February of 1999. I spent 18 months in Italy in 1994 and 1996.

My preference is to avoid popular cities during the summer. Copenhagen is a special case due to the Tivoli, and I also plan to go Fjording in summer. Rural areas are best in summer I think. I would do the Mosell and Rhineland in summer, visit the rural areas of France, etc. Don't forget the Lake District. Blackpool also for some low fun, my Brit friends swear by it!

If the Netherlands get a freeze during the winter, don't miss it! Scenes straight out of Hans Brinker. I suppose the Greek Isles are best in Summer (if you can't manage June or September). Athens was nice in September as well.

Avoid Rome, Florence, and Venice like the plague in July and August, though rural Lazio, Tuscany, and Umbria are well enough. Romans get OUT of Rome in August, which should tell you something!....

Old Nov 24th, 1998, 12:28 PM
Nils

Scandinavia is at its best in summer. Denmark and Norway seems to be a wise choice. In Norway you should visit Bergen and the fjords. "Norway in a nutshell" is highly recommandable. Nils

Old Nov 24th, 1998, 01:48 PM
Ben Haines

Dear Ms Donnelly

For best weather, and to enjoy Christmas offerings, I think
Italy May, early June, late September, October
Germany, Austria, Switzerland April to October. Also, the Christmas music and Christmas markets during Advent, 1 to 23 December.
Greece, Spain, Portugal April to mid June, mid September to October
France Easter to 30 July, 2 September to 30 October. Also 1 to 23 December, for Advent pleasures
August and September are inactive for music and theatre in Germany, Austria anbd Switzerland, and the cities and great buildings are overfull of tourists. (But these countries are fine if you like hiking, countryside, boating and so on). So August might be a month for looking at the Lonely Planet guide East Europe and striking out to places you've only just heard of, like Torun and Poznan in Poland, Kesthzely and Sopron in Hungary, Kosice and the Spiz towns in Slovakia, and Sigisoara and Sibiu in Romania. Among these we English need visas only for Romania (and they sell them in five minutes on the frontier). You could ask any travel agent to tell you where you need visas bought in advance, and go elsewhere. Cheapest travel is by air to Berlin (for Poland) or Vienna (for Slovakia Romania), using http://www.cheapflights.co.uk, then onward by night train with sleeping car. Or for Hungary, by cheap flight to Vienna and on by train, two hours to Sopron, six to Keszthely. Train details are in the Thomas Cook European Timetable, sold in any Thomas Cook Bureau de Change, and stocked by any decent reference library in Scotland. Costs in these central European places are half to a third those in western Europe. The towns I name are beatiful.

From the start of your Christmas two weeks to 23 December you could consider London, Paris, and the cities of Germany. From 24 December to the end of your break you could think of Prague amd Budapest, which stay reasonably lively while western cities drop into television watching mode.

If you plan any weekends in southern England and London you may like to use the sleeping cars on the night train: board 2300, dismount 0800, Apex fare 80 pounds return, bed included. If you plan no such weekends then I am surprised that I deign to write to you.

Despite which, please write again if I can help further.

Ben Haines, Loindon