Search

First time traveler to Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time traveler to Ireland

Hi All,

I want to travel to Ireland for the first time for about a month and I don't have the deepest pockets. I want to golf as much as I can also so I'll need to bring my clubs with me. Whats my best option for being able to afford a place to stay and to keep my belongings safe for a long period of time? I'd also like to be in a social type of place where I can enjoy the culture and meet new people. Would a hostel be fine or something like a B&B or a host family.
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 02:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>so I'll need to bring my clubs with me<<

Unless you are practically a scratch golfer or plan on playing every day - there is no need to bring your own clubs. Most every course rents clubs.

There are courses in avery corner of Ireland - you need to read up a bit and at least narrow down which area(s) you want to visit.

What do you mean by >>a long period of time<<?

When are you traveling?

What is your budget per night for accommodations?
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 02:04 PM

Hostels are fine, there are many all over the Island and possibly offer the cheapest option (there are some €25 B&B's but I wouldn't use them) B&B's are next in line but might have single supplements. Thing is with a good breakfast inside you lunch need only be a snack and there is good pub grub for evening eats.
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 04:02 PM

http://www.lahinchgolf.com/visitors-guide/green-fees/

http://www.hostelworld.com/findabed....ountry.Ireland

I love Lahinch, you can do the castle course on a budget and this is a fabulous area for links courses.
There are so many great courses in Ireland. Hostel world does give you some good suggestions for cheaper places to stay and like Tony said pubs are great for the evening meal. Most golfers prefer their own clubs and that is the one thing airlines still allow without overcharging. Hostels have a closet where they will lock your belongings up for you and some have a locker in the rooms. Just bring a lock with you.You can do public transportation and should save you a lot. I loved Druid's Glen, pricey but you can at least look.
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 04:46 PM

another hoax
Old Dec 6th, 2013, 05:46 PM

I definitely would not take golf clubs - or anything else valuable to s hostel.

Fine for B&Bs - but assume you would also have a rental car and travel and to different courses (you don;t plan on playing only one course for a month do you?

It would help if you would give us a budget per night and some idea of what else you want to see/do.
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

I plan on staying for a month.

I saw some of the hostels that you were talking about that were around 25 a night so that would be great. I figured for 30 days if the lodging is only going to be around 900 for the month staying in hostels (that's about how much I pay for rent now anyways at home) I'm not a scratch golfer, but I would definitely like to bring my clubs with me if the hostel has a locker or a private room.

I'm looking to go sometime in April? Because from what I've read, there is a better chance of decent weather and its still not as expensive or crowded as it is in the summer months.

For the month, would budgeting 70-80 a day for lodging, meals, and travel be enough? That's not including the extra fees for golf or tourism that I'd like to do.

I'm sure I can look up all the great places to go for tourism, but if you guys don't mind telling me your favorite things I'd appreciate it, its better when you have a person telling you about different things rather than a googled website.

Also is a rental car better or maybe just taking taxis and buses a more cost effective way?

Thank you everyone for responding by the way
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 09:59 AM

In what world is taxi travel cost-effective?

<would budgeting 70-80 a day for lodging, meals, and travel be enough>

Even 70-80E is low, $70-80 will be WAY low. I'm sure it could be done, theoretically, but enjoyably?