First time to Sweden.....help needed

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time to Sweden.....help needed

Intend to visit Sweden (4 or 5 days) with family and that will be from 4th week of August, never been there before. Know nothing of what to see and where to go and that include places and hotels. Prefer hotels for their vicinity and reasonable pricing in the range of $100. Appreciate any guidance.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are you going to BE in Sweden?
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear crefloors, Hmmmmmm don't know that's exactly what we need assistance on, i.e. where we need to go while in Stockholm or beyond. We always love to be away from rush and to be near lakes and scenic places......
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:44 AM
KT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweden has lots of lakes to choose from, some quite close to Stockholm, others further away. I strongly suggest looking at some guidebooks for ideas.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 11:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually Stockholm fits the bill for most of what you want to visit. There's lots of water, lots of islands, and certainly there's bags of scenery. With a family for 4/5 days, you can use up a lot of time in and around Stockholm.

Take a few cruises through the archepeligo (sp??) and this is beautiful. You could take a short ride across the Baltic to some of the cities on the Eastern countries. Or, take a cruise to Helsinki and see their archepeligo owned to Finland.

If you're going to rent a car, it will give you many more places to visit but if you're locked to public transit, think boats.

This time of the fall will be beautiful, so enjoy Stockholm.

Blackduff
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 11:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, you said Stockholm. Wonderful city...try the search feature and see if it will pull up several recent trip reports on Stockholm.

I think that might be a good base, as suggested, to make day trips. Someone did that kind of thing not long ago and did a report on it.

I can't really help with the countryside because I was really only in Stockholm. Had 5 days and never ran out of things to do.

Keep topping your question because this year there seem to be quite a few posters traveling to Sweden and Denmark. Best wishes for a great trip..you will love it there.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 11:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The landscape of Sweden between Linköping and Stockholm looks a lot like Minnesota. Lots of lakes, rolling hills, and just the road signs which tell you you're in Sweden and not Minnesota.

Blackduff
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all....
Dear crefloors, any specific hotel recommendation in some nice location in the city (center?)?
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We stayed in Gamla Stan, in the old town. The hotel was called The Lady Hamilton. I have seen it on line with some reasonable prices.

So, let me tell you the good, the bad, and the ugly, and in spite of a little bit of ugly, I WOULD stay there again. I'm not sure what you are looking for in a room, so it might be over your budget but take a look. The area is terrific. A block from the palace, easy walk to the ferry and the walking street, at the end of the walking street you are down town by NK and other stores. The Nobel Museum is right around the corner: very interesting museum actually. Gamla Stan has tons of shops and restaurants. The shops go from incredibly tacky to having some really nice things. The ugly is, you are also right by the Stockholm Cathedral and the damn bells ring every hour. I was there in the middle of winter and was having sleep "issues" anyway, so the bell frequently woke me. I referred to it as "the battle of the bells" It is a fabulous church, and where the Royals attend. Anyway, they didn't wake me up all the time, but often.

The building dates from the 14th century and of course over the years was used in many different ways. It is now a hotel. It has a B&B feel to it. The staff were all just wonderful. Very kind, very helpful. The room shown on the website is one of a couple of suites they have. The rest of the rooms are very small. I was supposed to room with my neice but when I got up to the room and saw how small it was, after fortifying myself with a small bottle of wine on the desk, I went down to the lobby and asked if perhaps they had another room available. They said "yes, a single OK?" I said "yah, shure, you betcha" and it was done and the neice went to the single. I think the single was close to your price range.

They had a very nice breakfast/dining room. The breakfast was fabulous and included in the room price. It actually set me up pretty much for the day, so didn't need lunch. Had a little snack sometime during the day. The had meat, fish, herring, cheese, cereal, yogurt, fruit, breads, eggs, bacon, sausage, and would make you a latte if you asked. You could also have dinner there if you wanted, and we did eat there one night when we were really tired.

There was free internet in the lobby. There is a lift, I was on the first floor so used the stairs a lot..need the exercise. They also have a spa.

The hotel is full of wonderful antiques and folk art pieces, so all in all, it really was a neat place. These old hotels like that tend to have pretty small rooms because of course when they are remodled they have to make room for plumbing, showers, and tubs etc. I had a shower, but what I loved was the towel warmer. Being winter and with a high of about 19-22 degrees F, I loved the warmer.

Perhaps more infor than you wanted, but I thought maybe others might be interested in knowing about this hotel. It really was very nice, and really cozy which was wonderful for the winter.

What to see is always kind of subjective. I LOVED the Vasa Museum, others here don't find it so interesting. They ship is amazing and is the only surviving 17th century ship. The palace is fun and you can catch the changing of the guard. All very young men, volunteers for a year I think. There is a very cool shop called Tomptar & Troll..google it. It's very walkable from any place on Gamla Stan. They make Tomptees...little forest people that bring luck. Very cute, you'll see them all over. These ones are all hand made at the shop. I have one hanging on my kitchen door and love seeing him there...reminds me of my trip.

Even though Stockholm is a city, I found it to be much quieter and more laid back than London, Paris, Rome. So even though you like to be away from the rush, with the short time you have, I think Stockholm would be good and as suggested you could do some day trips out of the city. The city is made up of 14 islands, so there is water, water, everywhere.

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once stayed in the Sheraton which is a fairly close walk to the train station. Gamla Stan is, of course, the place to spend time if you want "Old Europe"... it's lovely.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just returned from Stockholm last week. I LOVED it. I would base yourself there, 4-5 days is not much time, as others said there are day trips you can take. But the water, the scenery - it's all right in Stockholm. During the summer, which I assume the 4th week of August is - but you never know - many hotels have summer rates that are half their normal rate. I stayed at the Hotel Adlon which I booked through Hotels.com for $83 (USD) a night including probably the best breakfast in a hotel I ever had (fresh pinneapple, brie, cake - way to many things to mention). Free internet in the lobby. It's a three minute walk from the train/bus terminals (where you would arrive from the airport also) on an uninspired street, but only a couple of blocks from the main pedestrian shopping street which is then only about a ten minute walk to the water and the old town and everything else.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all. Going for Lady Hamilton and per your input extending the stay as well and will hop on to Helsinki. Thanks for all your recommendations.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 05:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack this thread but am in the midst of planning a trip to Scandinavia in the Summer of 2007, and will be in Stockholm around the third week in July.

I notice very few of the hotels have A/C and, in fact, on TripAdvisor, this has been a recurring comment for some of the hotels (the question being raised as to why there is no A/C).

I realize that it isn't so much the heat but the humidity that is relieved with air conditioning/cooling and I wonder if any of you, particularly Crefloors and Isabel, could comment on that aspect of things. Looking at weatherunderground's weather history for Stockholm shows humidity levels in the 60-70% range at that time of year.

Someone with first-hand information would be helpful.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topping
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dukey...well, I certainly did not need air conditioning when I was there!!! LOL I just googled Lady Hamilton and they say they have air conditioning in all the rooms. So there ya go.

yildy, I will really be surprised if you don't like it. I think that part of my sleep issue was the fact that there was so little daylight that time of year. I just don't think my "body clock" could ever get set right. I have never had any trouble at all on my two other trips, but I was never that far north and was traveling in the spring and fall. There were a couple of nights I was just so tired that I hardly heard the bells at all, but over all, I did not sleep well the entire trip. BUT...I loved it, had a great time, would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm going to be thinking about you at the "breakfast trough"!!!. Oink, oink!!! LOL
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 07:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crefloors, I appreciate your immediate feedback but here is the "problem" for me:

when I go to the webiste for the Lady Hamilton and read the room descriptions, A/C is not mentioned.

At least one TA review says very specifically that the room they occupied was not air conditioned and because of that, despite loving the place otherwise, they would not return.

I'll keep googling and see if I can find the same information you did. Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dukey, I hate to have to admit this in public, but I don't know how to cut and paste the address, but when I google Lady Hamilton Hotel Stockholm Sweden, it is usuall the first address that comes up and it says: Stockholm Sweden: Lady Hamilton Hotel, Stockholm, inexpensive... AND it gives you a virtual tour of the street and the hotel. If you scroll down it lists the room and hotel amenities. You could also fax, call, or probably e-mail them and ask. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding Air Conditioning, I bought a new Mercedes and there wasn't any A/C. Instead, this car provided seat heaters.

It gives some thought about the weather in Sweden.

Blackduff - moving to Spain with seat heaters was a great prank. I loved to click the heaters "high" while the summer time was near 40 C.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crefloors:

Thanks, I found that site and yes it does say the rooms are air conditioned.

Your help is much appreciated and useful.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 08:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, so you're good to go. Sorry I couldn't post the address for you. Gamla Stan is a really neat area to stay in and there ARE other hotels there by the way. One, that is owned by the same people is called the Lord Nelson. We walked by it all the time. Very interesting building. It's VERY narrow..about a room width. The lobby looked very nice...you might give it a check also. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO