Search

First time to Italy - help!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time to Italy - help!

Hi everyone,

Husband and I are planning our first trip to Europe in 2016. We are both in our 30's but my parents are looking to tag along towards the end of the trip and are in their late 50's. We are ending the Poland portion of our trip by flying into Rome. Originally I planned to go to Positano because the images and reviews were stunning - lots of water activities and everything was gorgeous, however it's more efficient both in time and money for us to leave it out and instead go North to Florence and then end our trip with a relaxing few days in an Italian coastal city like Portofino or Cinque Terre. I keep reading reviews that rank Positano slightly above Portofino though - and can't help but feel like I'm missing out. We live in Hawaii and my Dad is a man of the water, so I am just looking for a coastal area where he can enjoy the ocean, Mom can enjoy reading a book on the beach with the charm of the city behind her, and my husband and I can enjoy a romantic dinner! I'm thinking if I keep Positano off the list I can always return someday and make it a trip of its own with Capri and Cicily and perhaps a hop over to Greece... but who knows if/when that will ever happen. What would you recommend, any coastal areas I'm overlooking? Is Positano a must-do?
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 07:17 AM

It is difficult to answer, but perhaps you could elaborate on the types of activities you are seeking for your dad, and also tell us what month you are visiting.
There are plenty of charming towns along the Italian Riviera where you can find what you are seeking, though Portofino was my least favorite. It is just a beautifully situated inlet with lots of luxury shops and expensive accommodation--you don't have to travel far to find something just as pretty but without everything I dislike about Portofino.
There is just so much to do and see in the vicinity of Positano that I think it makes sense to hold off and do it right, but I always prize time over exact location.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 08:23 AM

Just be aware that many beaches in Italy are NOT sand - but rather pebbles or even rocks. Select carefully if you really want to focus on a nice beach. (Even in places that are really pebbles or rocks some upscale resorts will import sand for their private beaches).
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

We will be there in September. My Dad is an avid surfer, enjoys kayaking and beach volleyball (probably a long shot but it is his favorite activity). He also enjoys fishing, and snorkeling; actually those are things all of us enjoy really. I will put in the work to research different destinations, just looking for suggestions - and trying to avoid going South if we don't have to...but Positano seems to be the favorite spot.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 06:05 AM

Now, I'm not being snide, just inquiring: You (and your father) want to go to the Italian coast to do essentially the same things you do at home?

When I see a post like yours, I usually tell people the same thing: If you're going to Italy for the beaches, go elsewhere. The beaches are OK -- some better than others -- but IMHO there are lots better places to go.

That said, I like Positano over CT -- but not because of the beaches or water activities.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 06:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I suggest you look at Sardinia. It has some of the most beautiful beaches of Italy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...tractions.html
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 06:49 AM

I think she was describing water-based activities, not necessarily just sitting on a beach. I think a lot of people say "beach" when they mean they want a seaside spot.
Surfing not likely, but I would delve into the kayak and fishing bits. I have noticed fishing excursions farther south but not in the areas we are discussing. A tourist office should be helpful. I like to be active on vacation, but since I travel in May when the sea can be pretty frigid, I focus on hiking instead of water sports. good luck!
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 07:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You may or may not have beach weather in Sept (early or late Sept?). What other parts of Italy are on your itinerary? How much time do you have in Italy? The coastal area north and south of Pisa has a few beaches. I don't think you will find any surfing or much snorkeling/volleyball.

I don't think Positano really fits your criteria. I think you are picturing staying on a beach at a typical US beach resort and in many locations, the hotels aren't even on the beach.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 10:57 AM

If your father is interested in surfing, one of the very few places on the Italian Riviera where the waves make it worth the trip is Levanto, which is just a tiny bit north of Le Cinque Terre, and a quite pleasant town in its own right, with some of the best food in the area.

http://www.cinqueterreonline.com/levanto.htm
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 11:04 AM

I'm a bit confused.....what do you mean by the "poland" portion of the trip?
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

I do not have any specific vision or itinerary - and the only reason I mentioned the activities we are use to doing Vincenzo, is because Yorkshire asked me. We live on Kauai and are use to a variety of beaches, pebble, rock, glass even - I do not know what to expect or what I want out of Italy seaside because I have never been, but I do know my family and my Dad pretty much has gills so he'll be in the water even just to float, and like I said Mom just loves taking in the scenery. We have a pretty expansive trip so we are triyng to stretch our dollars, and to do that I was hoping to find a comparable beach North of Rome because it wasn't as out of the way...however, given all the research I have done and feedback I've read, I think I'll just have to sacrifice time elsewhere and go for it in Amalfi. I have yet to find a bad review/experience, and who knows if I'll ever get another opportunity! Thinking of flying into Naples, spending the next day checking out Pompei and then taking a ferry on the 3rd day to Capri before parking the family somewhere along the Amalfi Coast for 4-days. It will be a much longer trip to Rome, but it sounds worth it.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks kybourbon for the heads up, I didn't consider the water temperature at that time. As it stands we will be there on Sept. 12 - 17.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 06:48 AM

You will almost certainly have "beach weather" on those dates. It's summer! The water temps will be great! You wil have that either in the Amalfi or on the Italian Riviera. You will find both snorkeling in the Amalfi coast as well as volley ball on beaches large enough to have them. When you get to Positano, ask around. In italian, it is usually just called "beach volley" (pallavolo is another word for it, but usually that is only indoors, or on a hard court).

Have a great trip, with everybody doing what they want to do. I live in Italy (on the Italian Riviera) and when I have visiting relatives, we do what they want to do. Not everybody enjoys big meals, not everybody wants to go hiking, some like to go shopping and some like to go on history walks or museusm. Fortunately, they've yet to show up all at once, so no problems! But they are all wonderful people -- teachers, artists, bankers, journalists -- and no two of them want to do the same things.

But definitely have your parents do what they like. When my mother visited me in Italy, we spent almost all the time on boats because she used to own a boat, and she loves being on the sea. She had a great time and -- well, sure, she could go on a boat that in the states but that isn't the point. I wanted her to find her bliss in Italy! Honestly, I would HATE traveling with some of the people I see posting on Fodor's (I am quite certain they would hate traveling with me) with their narrow dogmatic (and fearful, prissy) ideas of traveling imposed on EVERYBODY, and their stereoptypical ideas of Italy.

Check out renting an apartment from Summer in Italy, which has a great reputation. Not only will eating in your 'own" kitchen be cheaper and help you off-set the high costs of Positano, but it will also be a relief from Italian restaurant meals for those in your family who are not into the multi-course rigamorale of it.

Buon viaggio!
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks sandralist for the incredibly informative, and thoughtful response. Once I teach my Dad "beach volley" those may be the only words he utters across all of Europe lol. He coached the U.S. Armed Forces volleyball team for several years, and so now we have yet to find a beach volleyball court where he doesn't know or remember at least 1 person from those days, it's like they're all magnetized or something lol. If we do find a sand court it will definitely be his biggest challenge towards keeping that tradition alive!!

We live on Kauai so I understand the revolving door of family members, and it's not only nice for them to have the freedom to do whatever, it's nice for us too! I will most definitely check out Summer in Italy. Thank you again for the wonderful feedback.

Aloha!