Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time to Barcelona: How many days to spend there?

May 8th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Next summer, I'd like to travel to Barcelona. This will be my first time going and I'm curious as to how many days I should spend there. Due to the fact that I will also be traveling throughout the south of France during this trip, I was thinking that I would spend no more than four nights in Barcelona, if that sounds reasonable. Is this a decent amount of time for Barcelona? What are some of the must-see attractions while there and can they all be seen within four/five days? Thanks for your help.
May 8th, 2008, 06:11 PM

We spent three days there, and it wasn't enough. The destinations section of this website has sample itineraries. My favorite things were the Gaudi sites: Casa Mila, Casa Batllo, Parc Guell, Sagrada Familia.
May 8th, 2008, 06:29 PM
yk

Don't forget to take a guided tour of Palau de la Musica Catalana.
May 8th, 2008, 06:33 PM

I second a visit to the Palau. My favorite thing is to go to La Boqueria market.
May 8th, 2008, 06:34 PM

hi cruisluv,
How was your trip? Welcome back!
May 9th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Hi Maribel,

It was fantastic thanks for asking. It was a transatlantic cruise which ended in Barcelona.

Among othere ports ,it stopped in Cadiz , which I enjoyed very much just walking around. I thought it was a lovely city.

Weather was fabulous, including our 2 days post cruise in Barcelona.

We were able to cram a lot of stuff on our first day in Barcelona as our 2nd full day there was 5/1. Went to the Boquería which as usual is a feast for the senses. Not surprisingly Pinotxo and Quim were crowded and we chose not to fight for a spot at the bar. We walked from there to Ciudad Condal for a tapas lunch which we enjoyed.

Went into the Palau for the first time. What a place! Enjoyed the tour very much, unfortunately there were no concerts the 2 nights we were there.

We also enjoyed eating at the Taller de Tapas. We went to the one near Palau and the one near Basilica Santa Maria del Mar. Foodwise, I much preferred the latter. BTW, I had never been to this Basilica and I loved all the stained glass.

This is my 5th time in Barcelona and by far the time I have more enjoyed the city. For whatever reason, I ahve never been a Barcelona lover, but my stay this time was fantastic and I now would look forward to returning.

The Apsis Atrim Palace again proved to be an excellent choice, especially at the price we got (138 Euros for a double). The rooms didn't even seem as small as I remembered them from my prior visit!
May 16th, 2008, 07:27 PM

cruiseluv,
So glad you enjoyed your time in Barcelona. As you know, I'm a devoted, loyal Madrid lover, but the more time I spend in Barcelona (but not June-July-Aug.), the more I love it too!

p.s.
I LOVE transatlantic crossings. My very first trip to Europe, in 1970, was on a classic ocean liner. Wish I had the time to take repositioning cruises. Maybe in another life...

traveler1234,
I think 4 nights would be fine.