First-time solo

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:11 AM
MaryAnn

First-time solo

This spring my job will be eliminated and I will be let go with a nice severance package. For the first time in my 53 year - life I will be completely free to go where ever I choose without any time constraints or responsibilities. I want to go to Europe, but I’m a little apprehensive about traveling alone. I’ve been to Italy several times before with my daughters and husband, but because of their job constraints they will be unable to accompany me this time. I need help in choosing a destination(s) which will be easy for me to get around on my own and where the language will not present too much of a problem. Of course, I’ve thought about London, but my dream has always been to see Spain. Can anyone recommend some cities in Spain that would not be overwhelming to a first-time solo traveler and where I wouldn’t need to rent a car? I know some rudimentary Spanish (have been to Mexico many times), but will that suffice me? Or should I skip Spain and stick with England for my first solo venture? I love cities where there is a lot to see and do by walking, as in Rome or Florence. Any comments?

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Mel

MaryAnn, I have little to offer since I've never traveled solo, but my sister and I (around your age) did this several times and I can tell you that, as two women without a clue when we first started, it was easier and friendlier than I expected. I've got some women friends who've done it alone and I'll ask them to plug in here and help you out. You will, of course, get lots of great help from others on this board.<BR><BR>I absolutely love the London and Edinburgh and have done both extensively. London might be a good place to start because, of course, you don't deal with the language difficulties, you can get anywhere on the excellent tube service and it's a joy to walk.<BR><BR>I applaud you for going for it--you'll have a wonderful time, I'm sure!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Dori

I just wanted to write and give you some encourgement. I've been traveling solo on occasion now for over ten years and love it. Please don't hesitate wherever you decide to go. You will meet plenty of people, more than you think. Certainly don't let fear stop you. Just use you everyday common sense, and you will be fine. Remember to buy an inexpensive international phone card, and you can call home whenever you like. I think you will really enjoy the freedom. Have a great time.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Howard

I'd say go for it. Travelling solo has some plusses and some minuses, but I think it will be a good experience overall. Spring is a great time to visit Spain. Depending on how much time you have, you might want to hit the three Anadalusian cities of Seville, Cordoba and Granada. All are easily accessible by train and are medium sized, rather than overwhelming cities. Madrid is not my favorite place. I haven't been, but a lot of people love Barcelona.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Debbie

MaryAnn, I travel solo all the time and went to Spain this summer. I found it easy to get around with English and just very bare bones spanish-donde esta...etc, for making train reservations. I started in Madrid, went to Cordoba (day trip)then on to Seville, granada and Barcelona. I greatly preferred Cordoba and Seville but that is a personal preference. Since you have been to Italy before you know that many signs are also posted in English and that it really is not that hard to get around.<BR>Please do not go to London just because they speak English, everywhere I have been in Europe is quite easy to get around in.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:49 AM
bb

Go,go,go to Spain! You will love it. I did my first solo trip there a few years ago and it was a wonderful choice...I followed about the same itinerary as the previous poster--Madrid, Toledo, Cordoba, Sevilla and Barcelona--and if you love cities to stroll around in do not forgo Barcelona! I had high school spanish and beleive me, high school was a long time ago, and managed just fine. The Spainish are very friendly and helpful---I never had a problem communicating. And no car needed! Enjoy!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 12:11 PM
MaryAnn

I just returned from a 2 week solo trip to Spain in September. It was incredible! I had been to Spain twice before with friends who are quite independent (spent alot of time by ourselves) but this was my first trip on my own. I did alot of research ahead of time (madridman.com has another excellent board) and had absolutely no problems. I visited Northern Spain this trip, which was actually more challenging than other parts of Spain, as I had to take combinations of buses and trains. I went out in the evenings and had no problems with men bothering me or pickpockets.<BR><BR>For an easy trip and if it's you're first time to Spain, I would say that Toledo is a great place to start your trip. Fly into Madrid, get the train or bus to Toledo, and recover from jet lag and get your bearings in a smaller town. Toledo is a beautiful city, especially in the evenings when all of the day trippers have gone home. Near Madrid are charming smaller cities of Salamanca and Segovia, with easy connections. I'd also visit Sevilla (day trip to Cordoba) which is very easy to get to from Madrid using the AVE train. Granada would be accessable from Sevilla easily. <BR><BR>I don't know how long you have, but if it's only 2 weeks I'd probably save Barcelona for another trip and stick with the central and south of Spain. If you have longer than 2 weeks, I'd add in Barcelona and Girona. <BR><BR>Also, as a solo female traveler especially, I prefer the smaller towns to large towns of Madrid and Barcelona. It's just my own opinion for what it's worth but I enjoy just roaming around and exploring streets and in the larger cities don't feel as secure.<BR><BR>Let us know what you decide!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 12:13 PM
tina

I recently went solo at 60. What a liberating adventure. Have a wonderful time, Do It,

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Linda

I went to Vienna and Krakow solo and it is nice; however, pick smaller hotels/pensions where someone would miss you if you didn't get back to the room, sit with other women in train compartments, travel populated routes, and be aware of your surroundings. Enjoy Espana!

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Laurie

MaryAnn- Read the book &quot;An Independent Woman&quot; by Alice Steinbach. She is a journalist who took her first trip alone &amp; recorded her adventures in this very poignant, entertaining book. Maybe it will help you decide.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 10:52 AM
MaryAnn

Many thanks to all the encouragement everyone's provided. I've made a decision to go to Spain and have already started researching which cities and hotels. My only problem is that I don't have an exact date yet and hope I will have enough lead time to get good air fares and hotels in the spring. Thanks again for helping me make up my mind and I'm sure I will be calling on everyone for more specific information for Spain.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 11:56 AM
CathyM

MaryAnn:<BR>Congratulations on making this decision.<BR><BR>I posted under the wrong name (MaryAnn) previously when I gave you the Spain advice and recommended madridman.com<BR><BR>Anyways, feel free to email me via the madridman.com website (same username, CathyM) and I'll be more than happy to help you with your solo trip.<BR><BR>Also, if you do some searches in both fodors and madridman you'll get a wealth of information before you even have to post any questions! When you start posting in the Spain forums here you'll find many people with an tremendous love of Spain who will be happy to help you.<BR>