Spain Solo

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain Solo

Hello,
I've been a "lurker" on this forum for a while - using it to feed my daydreams of travel. I've decided that 2007 is my year to quit dreaming & start doing! I already have a trip to Italy with a friend in the works for November. But recently Spain has just been calling my name...

So I was thinking of planning a weeklong trip in the spring. However, I don't know anyone who will be able to come along. So I was thinking of taking a big step and going alone.

Here's a bit about me - I am single, turning 30 this summer - and guess I feel like I am ready to do something interesting! But I have to admit I'm really nervous about going alone. I'm confident I can get around (I think). I've been to London & Paris & did fine there, so I think I can handle Spain. But my worry is being lonely I suppose! (I know there is a solo travel forum, but thought I'd get more responses here). I don't speak Spanish either.

So if I can get over being a chicken, and actually book a ticket, here is my plan. Fly in/out of Madrid (I found a ticket for $590 out of the midwest in April) so that seemed to be a good deal.

I've been researching cities and think I'd like a few days in Madrid, then in few in Seville. Maybe with a daytrip thrown in. I was also thinking of going during the "fevria de avril" in Seville. It sounds fun. I will have 6 nights - any recommendations on how to break those up, or good day trips? I'd love to go to a nice beach for a day maybe.

Sorry for the long post - but I was hoping to get advice/suggestions on travelling solo in Spain. Thanks!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 04:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Lolly, if you click on my name, you'll find my trip report from a solo trip to Spain in November. I did fine there, although if I had it to do over, I would drop Barcelona from my itinerary (it felt too young and party-ish for me without a lot to keep me going for days) and just visit Madrid and Seville, as you are planning. There is plenty to do there and plenty of daytrips outside the cities, so you'll be fine. I think it's just what you're looking for. Good luck!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Lolly,
My daughter went to Spain by herself and had a blast, and I would do it as well (except I'm married and DH insists on coming along knowing what a huge crush I have on Carlos Moya LOL ) Just be as "street wise" as you would be anyplace alone, and you'll have a great time.

For a week, IMO Madrid/Seville/Barcelona may be rushing things too much. While I love Barcelona, even more than Madrid, I think you should either try to extend your time or do that another trip. From Madrid, I'd say don't miss Toledo and Segovia and you could certainly take the AVE or fly to Seville and take a daytrip to Cordoba.

So much here in trip reports and on the Internet and in guidebooks. I would suggest learning a little Spanish before you go.

Another thought--if you can, I'd suggest an open-jaw ticket into Madrid and out of Seville--don't waste time and money backtracking.

Happy planning!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the terrific & encouraging responses.

amyb, what a great trip report! It definitely gave me an idea for lots of possibilities. I love the ideas of seeing a bullfighting ring and a flamenco show.

If I did 3 nights each in Madrid & Seville - which would you suggest first? I'm flying AA, and for some reason open jaw is quite expensive whereas RT to Madrid is reasonable. I'm thinking it may be easier to take the AVE when I arrive & do Seville first. Otherwise if I did Seville last, I would have to get back to Madrid to make a flight at noon, and that makes me nervous that it would be too close.

I think from Seville, I'd like a day trip to a beach. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help, and I will definitely keep researching. And hopefully get the nerve to actually book a ticket! lol
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 06:13 PM
ComfyShoes

Lolly100,

I am taking my family in April too but for a much longer time frame. Although not a first time visitor to Spain, I have only recently been introduced to this immesnely useful site through a dear, dear friend. Consider the following:

http://www.cadoganguides.com/index.asp

and

http://maribelsguides.com/

I personally won't miss Feria de Abril because it is an interesting opportunity see a different culture upclose. However, since I spend too much time at beaches near home in midwest, they don't interest me. My one trip to Malaga couple years back didn't particularly impress me. Enjoy your trip.

p.s.: You got better fares than I did.

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 07:03 PM

Hi Lolly!
Spain is fantastic and I think just fine for a solo traveler.
Six days is perfect for Madrid and Sevilla.
If R/T Madrid is cheaper, then go for that. But by how much? You need to consider the what a r/t AVE train will cost vs. one way. Just to give you an idea, Madrid to Sevilla was 66 euro one way in Oct 2005.
Is there any way you can swing 7 nights? If so, then 3 nights Madrid, 3 in Sevilla, then 1 back in Madrid. The train is about 2.5 hrs each way, it's really very fast. If you have that extra day, then maybe a stop in Cordoba just for the day on the way back to Madrid.
Either way, I'd do Madrid first. You'll be tired from the flight. If you only have 6 nights then consider 2 in Madrid/3 in Sevilla/and the last night back in Madrid. You don't want to risk missing your flight.
Are you talking about going to Sevilla during Semana Santa, the week before Easter? If so, you'd better book now as things get full and quite expensive during that week. While Semana Santa (holy week) is facinating, you will find Sevilla vary crowded during that time. It might be easier, and less expensive, to avoid it. Also, a day trip to the beach may not be worthwhile in April.
If you click on my name, you'll find my trip report from 2005 and get some ideas. We spent 10 days in Spain, including 3 in Madrid and 3 in Sevilla.
Or, you can see my website for my travelogue and photos;
http://www.wired2theworld.com/spain2...spain2005.html
Have a great trip!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 08:28 PM

Hi Lolly,

With regards to the flights maybe you can fly to Madrid and transfer to a flight to Sevilla. Iberia flies between Mad and Sevilla and I think they are partners with AA. Then after a couple of days in Sevilla, take the AVE train to Madrid and fly back home from there.

I have traveled around Spain by myself several times. The most days I have been by myself were 9 days and I was fine. To be honest, the only time that I felt self conscious about being alone was at dinner time. Now, I do speak Spanish and that's part of the reason I felt very comfortable. But for a week you should be fine.