Reload this Page >

First time in Greece - Two Mature Ladies Island Hopping Trip

Old Mar 28th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

This is my first time posting on this board. Nice to meet you.

I'm going to be traveling to Greece with a girlfriend of mine and we're interested in hopping around all of the amazing Island. We're trying to avoid spending much time in Athens (main land). We know about a few of the island (Mykonos, Santorini..) but we'd love to hear about some others that are smaller, slower paced and less touristy (does this exist in Greece!?)

Would love to hear other people's past experiences or suggestions.

Our dates will be end of July and we're thinking 14 days.

Thanks for your help.

Karen
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 06:39 PM

My husband & I (seniors) really enjoyed Naxos and took the bus tour of the island while there. We also did the day tour to Delos.

Santorini is so beautiful, too, and we stayed in Oia.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 06:43 PM

You'll get the best information about all the islands from T. Cook's 'Greek Island Hopping'.

Even the smaller, slower-paced islands will be slammed at the end of July.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 06:46 PM

Assuming you are talking the Cyclades group of islands, I would recommend Amorgos and Folegandros.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 10:14 PM

Something else to keep in mind: Late-July is when the Meltemi winds can be extremely strong, so try to stick with islands you can reach by conventional car ferry instead of the much smaller highspeed catamarans. This will significantly decrease the possibility of cancellations as well as providing you with the most stable ferry rides. In high winds and choppy seas the highspeed cats bob in the water like corks.
Old Mar 29th, 2012, 12:24 AM

"Slower paced and less touristy" on the Greek Islands is a time of year, not a location. ;-) All the islands are less touristy off-season, while late July and August, when European schools have their summer breaks, everywhere is crowded. All the islands will be busy in late July, and the smaller ones, e.g. Folegandros, the most crowded, as there are fewer hotels and restaurants to go around, all filled to capacity. Surprisingly, the larger islands may feel less crowded, as there is more room for tourists to spread out.

Probably the closest to what you are looking for are the islands in the NE Aegean such as Chios. You could also look for out of the way resorts on other larger islands.

There is much more to the mainland than Athens, and most of the "amazing" sights will be found there. If you are up to hiring a car, you could drive around the Peloponnese, go to Delphi, Meteora, and other sights at your own pace. If you prefer someone else to do the driving, there are Greek tour companies that can take you to those places. Do a Google search for Chat Tours and Key Tours to see what they have to offer. One drawback of the mainland that time of year is: it will be very hot.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 08:33 AM

Hi

The period you mentioned is really difficult for everybody as all have vacation (greeks and no-greeks).
If you are looking for a small, quite and peaceful island I will suggest you Meganisi island.
It is at ionian sea oppposite of Lefkas (or Lefkada) island. It s near to Scorpio island and has 3 picturesqe villages. It s very easy to visit as there is every day, 4-5 times, a ferry boat.
It has many beautiful beaches with clean blue/green waters. You can go on foot, by motorbike, by car or even also by renting a boat. You can find anything you need (cafe, restaurants, small shops). You can find any kind of accomodation you want(hotel, rooms, studios, appartments, villas) with a wonderful view.

I hope I have helped you.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 09:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We also enjoyed the islands but one of our favorite places was on the mainland, the Peloponessean Peninsula, based in Napflion.If the previously menioned winds are a problem, consider this area of the mainland.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the very nice suggestions. As I am a teacher the summer is the only time I can afford to travel for a long extended period of time.

I should have also mentioned that I am in my fifties as is my friend. We're not that mature...like to still be in a lively place, dance and meet people!

I really appreciate all of your help.

As beautiful as the mainland sounds and I understand the islands can be packed and quite windy..we want to be on the sea. I'll take a look at the island recommended and come back with a sample itinerary. If anyone has any starting/ending routes they suggest that would be much appreciated.

Thank you again!

K