Search

First time in Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time in Dublin

Hi All,
My wife and I are flying out to Dublin next week for a 4 day trip. Our main focus is in Dublin and a day trip to Galway.

I have some questions and seeking recommendation.

Tipping-> yes/no? certain situation? is this added to the bill already? More of an insult?
Culture -> Certain taboos that we shouldn't do? (don't want to be marked as self-centered Americans)

Most important, can someone recommend, a restaurant, nice view or nice decor. Its for my wife's bday. Cuisine would be leaning toward french or Ireland's specialty.

Any good performance or shows? Or place to pamper her?

thanks,
Kevin
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 08:34 AM

Hi Kevin, delighted to hear you are coming to Ireland, you will have a great time. Re tipping, we doing things a little different than in the "states". Generally, if you are happy with the service, give 10% of the bill. There are very few restaurants that have a service charge and they are mainly chinese restaurants, but check the bill when you get it and it will be listed. The only thing I wouldnt do in Ireland, is be loud and brash, otherwise let your hair down and join in with the locals. Re a location for a romantic meal Malahide or Howth would be nice as it is beside the sea, Dunlaoghaire also has some nice restaurants over looking the Irish sea?
Both locations can be reached on a local train called the DART. Have a great time and if you need anymore advice, please contact me [email protected]
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Dublin has quite an active theater scene. Not sure myself what's on now - but your hotel concierge should be able to tell you. If possible go for something local - I've seen both the Importance of being Ernest and Lady Windermere's Fan - and they were both excellent.

As for a special dinner - we like Patrick Guilbaud. If you go to the website you can see menus and prices.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 11:55 AM

You'll be marked as Americans pretty quickly because you won't sound like Ciaran Hinds.

Does The Palm Tree Restaurant in Temple Bar still exist? Ate there ages ago, very good new european cuisine. Not thinking traditional Irish food would fit the high-end vibe you're reaching for.
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 02:08 PM

I would presume that you wouldn't want to be marked as self centered. The country that you are from becomes unimportant after that.