first time amsterdam how many days?

Mar 5th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

first time amsterdam how many days?

Hello! how many days would you recommend for a first time visitor in Amsterdam? I would like to see the major sights at an easy pace and to get a "taste" of a little bit of everything unique that Amsterdam has to offer
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:16 AM

I guess you can "cram" the big museums in three days.

By unique I assume you include tram, waterbus, prostitue, dope and sex show.

Depending on your strenght this could be fitted into the evenings.

This would not allow you much time to see the bulb fields, Delft, Haarlam or Den Hague let alone the coast all of which could be in greater Amsterdam.

Seriously though if you want to enjoy the uniquesness try and stay in a local hotel along one of the canals and eat in the local cafes and restaurants with a heavy focus on eel, gin and apple pie.
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Highlights of Amsterdam -one day.
All of significance - 2 days.
Everything - 3 days.
Mar 5th, 2007, 06:29 AM
nbujic

3 days minimum.
Amsterdam is a great place to walk around, sit in cafes and take it easy.

Mar 5th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Hi alc1974

thanks for your post -- i am also planning a trip to amsterdam during the eater weekend.
I plan to do the Canal cruise,Windmill, Redlight area,Madame Tussauds,keukenhof,Modurodam. I don't intend to visit the museums as I guess I simply won't have the time.

Bilboburglar, can you pls suggest a local hotel along one of the canals.

Please suggest your views and guidance.
thanks
Swiss Tourist
Mar 5th, 2007, 07:58 AM
kja

Alc1974 - If you want to see Amsterdam's major attractions - including some of its wonderful (unique) churches - at a leisurely pace, I'd say more like 3 or 4 days, to which you might want to add at least one for a day trip.

Sorry, Swiss_Tourist - I didn't go to some of the things you want to see, so I can't comment on your plans. Good luck!
Mar 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM

I would recommend 3 days minimum to visit Amsterdam. Although the city is easily accessible by tram and walking, there are several neighborhoods which can/should be explored - the Centrum, the Jordaan, the Museum area, the three ring-canals including the Golden Bend (you can remember them because they are in alphabetical order - Heren, Keizer, & Prinsen), the Waterlooplein, the Red Light District (visit during the day, it's got some great architecture), the Leidseplein, etc... There are many other neighborhoods, this is just a sampling.

Since you are planning on being there several days, I would recommend an Amsterdam Card -

http://www.amsterdam.info/pass/

Enjoy your time in Amsterdam, alc1974. When will you be travelling there? Peace, Robyn >-
Mar 6th, 2007, 02:34 AM

www.hotelbrouwer.nl on the Brouwer canal run by the Brouwer family was good. Nice old wood, night entrance and clean
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:09 AM

We spent three days for our first visit in November. We were able to see quite a bit, but it felt rushed. I would have preferred four (or more) days.
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:43 PM

Having been there 15+ times, mostly on business, ms_go says it correctly. This is assuming you aren't rushed for 'better' cities and towns.

I like to stay near the Leidesplein, good trolly connections and, a few good restaurants. In fall of 2005 I stayed at the Owl Hotel, a simple walk to the Leid.... and a simple walk to Van Gogh and the museumplein.

Try the Bulldog Cafe, prominantly displayed on the Leidesplein. Interesting menu, and a varied selection... or just hang out at one of the outdoor cafes and watch the world go by.

Depending on your interests, there are enough things to do for 4 nights.
Mar 6th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Fodorites for your helpful advice!
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:46 PM

I agree with ms go - I was there for 3 days in October and just scratched the surface of the city. It didn't help that I lost half a day due to a 'brownie'.

Amsterdam is a great city to just walk and take it all in.

Tom
Mar 7th, 2007, 12:42 AM

I suggest a week. Include some day trips. Haarlem (where I've lived), Delft, The Hague. Buy the Michelin Green book for the Netherlands. You'll have enough to do for a month.

Hotel Ambassade is on canal Herengracht. Unique and ideal location.

Use the search box above and enter 'amsterdam' for loads of Fodorite suggestions.

Mar 9th, 2007, 11:58 AM

I lived there for a year and a half years ago. Just returned this fall for 5 nights/6 days. I met up with my mother there and had a great time showing her the city and introducing her to old and dear friends. My mother was there one day before I arrived and stayed 2 days longer. She never ran out of things to see and do.

For a first time, I agree that you should try to give yourself at least a week if time permits. Amsterdam is a great city to take your time in. It's small in scale and easily accessible. Lots to see and do. If you want to do a day trip outside the city, there are lots of options and the Dutch rail system is fantastic.

Mar 9th, 2007, 12:19 PM

3 days.