Notices

Amsterdam

Old Dec 4th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam

How long would 2 30 year old women want to stay in Amsterdam? 1 night, 2 days? Is that enough?
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 10:01 PM

I would find that way too short. I spent a week in Amsterdam last April and could have easily stayed longer.

It's not a huge city, but plenty big enough to spend more than one night...it hardly seems worth the effort of going there for just one night unless it's because of a stopover.

Also...consider if you only stay one night, you really won't have two full days.

You'll love the city...it's made for 20 year olds! My daughter spent 6 months there on a study abroad program last year.

margy
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 10:30 PM

It's hard to answer your question without knowing your likes and dislikes. Amsterdam is an interesting place and there are a number of cities and sites in the Netherlands that can be reached by train from Amsterdam in approximately an hour.

If you are looking for an exciting social scene, Amsterdam could keep you busy for quite a while. If you are looking for an interesting cultural experience, Amsterdam is a little short on attractions.

If you are interested in visiting Amsterdam, take a look at our Website www.ThereArePlaces.com. We have a destination guide for the Netherlands and a mini guide for things to see and do in Amsterdam. If any of the attractions seem interesting, buy a good quality guidebook to discover more detail.

I hope that you have a great trip!

Regards,
Ekim
www.ThereArePlaces.com
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 01:13 AM

Hi

I think that it depends on what else is on your list. Are you planning on moving on to another place after Amsterdam? My wife and I went there and we stayed for like 4 days and then we moved on to Paris. We needed a lot more time in Paris because there is so much to see and do there I have posted a trip report with some pictures from the trip on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 02:03 AM

It all depends on your interests. You could easily spend a day or so going to the museums alone although your tolerance for "sensory overload" might dictate how long you could reasonably last in each one. Even though the Rijksmuseum is only offering about 450 works due to the renovation project, the ones that ARE on view will keep you busy.

One night and two full days might do it for you.l..if you like to move fast.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 04:41 AM

I think 4 days would be nice for a good view of the city, 3 days minimum.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 06:48 AM

I would say one or two weeks, not days, but how long you stay depends on what you want to do. Why are you going? When are you going?
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 07:24 AM

I had been there a few times in the '70's, then again with my family two summers ago. We were there for 3 full days and it wasn't enough. It's a good place to walk around and get lost in, to visit really great museums, but also to just hang out.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Three or four nights are perfect, but then again we come back twice a year, but you'll get a good idea IF you even want to come back in three or four nights. GREAT TOWN! chech out ORIENTAL CITY restaurant if you like chinese food, GREAT spot to people watch, sit on the second level if possible at the windows, great food and great entertainment just watching the people walk by.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 12:22 PM

I agree that at least three nights is necessary. That way you have atleast 2 full days to explore. One or two days of museums and one day of wandering or visa versa. It's a great place to visit. We have pictures posted here to give you an idea of our two days of wandering.
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/92402/index.html
I suggest that you think of this as a first visit and not the last.
Enjoy!
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Hi, Also agree at least 3 days. We went in early November and the time was just right. Lots of walking and exploring to keep you busy. The Van Gogh and the Anne Frank museums are musts. We spent our whole trip just walking the canals.

Danna, saw your pictures and enjoyed them. I have also posted my pictures on the same site:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/92402/index.html

Tina