Search

First night in Bavaria

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 09:18 AM
bd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First night in Bavaria

In late July, DH and I will be flying to London and then onto Munich arriving Friday afternoon, and need to be in Innsbruck the next day for a conference. Trying to decide where to spend the first day/night- keeping in mind will be pretty tired.

Here is my current idea: store our luggage at the train station and do a walking tour to get a quick "feel" of Munich for future trips. Then take the train to either Garmisch or Mittenwald to spend the night and explore the next morning (recommendations of which town and place to stay would be great) before heading to Innsbruck.

Another alternative is to go to Fuessen, but I would think I can do that as a day trip from Innsbruck, and I was told (thanks treplow) that the train trip from Munich through Mittenwald is beautiful.

And of course, we can always stay in Munich.

Any thoughts?

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 09:48 AM

IMO if you are going to be tired out upon arrival you aren't going to be in much shape for any sort of walking tour..perhaps after you take a nap.

Since you think you can do Fuessen from Innsbruck I would stay in Munich. Take an early train out the next day.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:10 AM
bd
Original Poster

I thought the walk would force us to stay awake, so we can get on a different sleep schedule.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Walk or no walk in Munich, your idea of staying in Mittenwald is a good one. I have stayed at the Hotel Post, Karwendelstrasse 14, FAX 49-8823-1096 and was quite pleased. It's right in the center of that nice town. So, if you want to do any walking, you can do it after you get to Mittenwld.

Taking a train from Munich to Fuessen requires a change of trains in Buchloe and is kind of a nuisance.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
IMO, I'd head straight to Mittenwald from the airport, but that's me. I agree with staying in Mittenwald. We were there last April and loved it. It's small, easy to walk around and beautiful! From there to Innsbruck the next day would be very quick also.

paul
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 04:45 AM
bd
Original Poster

Well, my husband doesn't like the idea of sightseeing before we were settled in somewhere either. I guess I should have checked with him first. Thanks for all your suggestions.