Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First meal in Paris after long day of travel

Sep 17th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

I'm arriving in Paris on Friday October 1st for one month, at my apartment rental in the 20th arr. at about 5pm. My concern is my meal that night. I imagine I'll be exhausted and starving from traveling to Paris via the Eurostar from London, where I will have flown from Melbourne via Singapore, so a lot of traveling in one go. I can't imagine I'll be up for a restaurant dinner that night, and don't plan to grocery shop until the weekend (there's a Carrefour close by, and a market on the rue des Pyrenees on Sunday morning).

So what I'd like to know is - would I better off trying to find a street vendor, or to have a rest and then go to a restaurant later in the evening? Or should I buy something quick to prepare from Carrefour, I imagine specialty stores will be closed. Any suggestions for the best option, or for restaurants etc. close by? I'm located on the rue Villiers de l'Isle Adam, near Gambetta metro station. Thanks!
Sep 18th, 2010, 12:12 AM

Why not just buy water and a ham & cheese sandwich or chicken/swiss sandwich at the train station upon arrival in Paris to take back to the apartment with you? The little shops are everywhere; can't miss them.

If after you're settled, you feel like going out for a meal, you can save the sandwich for later, but at least you'll be prepared so you won't have to go out if you don't want to.
Sep 18th, 2010, 12:34 AM

At almost every major traffic intersection there will be a café/brasserie which can do snacks, sandwiches, omelettes and so on, as well as offering some people-watching. Eating out needn't be the full "fine dining" experience.
Sep 18th, 2010, 06:56 AM

There are a thousand options between going to the grocery store and having a full meal at a restaurant, and if your eyes are still open after all that traveling you won't have any problem finding them: cafés, brasseries, street vendors, alimentaires, sandwich shops, charcuteries, boulangeries. You'll have a wealth of options. This is not something you need to plan in advance.
Sep 18th, 2010, 07:12 AM

I suggest you wait until the moment comes.
Only you will know just how tired you are and what you feel like doing at the time, whether its exercising your many eating options or forgoing them in favour of sleep.
Sep 18th, 2010, 07:42 AM

Are you not familiar with Streetview in Google Maps? Go to http://maps.google.com Type in
rue Villiers de l'Isle Adam,paris and hit the search button. Use the zoom control to the left of the map to zoom in a bit.

See the yellow pictogram of a person above the zoom control? Drag and drop it onto the map where the marker will be... I can see at least half a dozen suitable looking eateries without moving from the spot. You'll be spoiled for choice!

Have a great time!

Rob
Sep 18th, 2010, 08:14 AM

Just because you arrive in Paris at 5pm you can't guarantee you be hungry for dinner at the 'normal' time after all that traveling.

See how you feel but prepare in advance. I would not want to have to leave the apartment after I arrived so I would pick up some food on the way. You will be waiting around the Eurostar station in London for at least 45 mins so that's when I'd pick up some food and drink. There are many cafes, food to go places at the station. Your first meal in Paris doesn't have to be French!
Sep 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM

sassy_cat: A sandwich (or most other forms of food) bought in London isn't going to feel very fresh after the trainride to Paris. I would wait and buy something in Paris.
Sep 18th, 2010, 09:35 AM

I would go to the corner cafe and have a bowl of soup and a sandwich and go home and crash.
Sep 18th, 2010, 10:45 AM

You have a whole lot of other choices besides a restaurant or starving.

Why not just wonder into the nearest basic cafeor brasserie? They typically serve at all hours and a minimum you could get a nice omelet or roast chicken/frites. No fuss,no muss, no waiting.
Sep 18th, 2010, 10:56 AM

anyegr, my point was the poster might feel hungry before the normal dinner time and has the opportunity to eat in London before boarding the train or on the train.
Plus the train ride is just 2 hours long. Your London sandwich might well be just as fresh as the French sandwich picked up on arrival.

After travelling for the length of time mishmash described I know I lose my appetite and prefer to graze when I can and sleep as soon as I arrive.
Sep 18th, 2010, 12:07 PM

I think you should play it by ear, and if you just want to buy a sandwich, you can do it near your apt, I imagine, if it's like any neighborhood in Paris. I wouldn't buy a sandwich at a train station, they are usually very overpriced and why carry that around with you.

I think you are overthinking this. If you don't feel up to a restaurant, how could you possibly feel up to shopping in a grocery store and then cooking? A restaurant is a lot less demanding than that (using the term to simply mean a place you can be served food, not a real restaurant). I don't know why you aren't considering just dropping in a local cafe or takeout joint near your apt.
Sep 18th, 2010, 06:03 PM

That's the benfit of a cafe or brasseries - they're usually not limited to restaurants hours and will do basic meals whenever they are open. Also no need to reserve or dress or whatever. Just walk in and hve someting toeat 15 minutes later.
Sep 19th, 2010, 05:25 AM

Stay in, relax, keep it simple:
cheese
fruit
bread
wine
Sep 19th, 2010, 06:06 AM

Go out, relax, keep it simple:
crepe
walk...
bread & cheese
walk...
wine
walk...

Stay up and active as long as possible and you'll sleep like a log. If you go to your apartment at 5pm and fall asleep, you'll be wide awake at 2am wondering what to do.
Sep 19th, 2010, 07:49 AM

G_Hopper makes a good point!
Sep 20th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I realise I am over thinking it, I'm just worried I'll arrive at the apartment starving but with not a crumb to eat, and find all the shops around have closed, with nowhere serving dinner until 7pm+. I think I'll combine buying extra while in London (I do have an hour or two to spare) and then if I feel up to it I'll head to a small local eatery for something.