Search

First Int'l trip - Leaving this Sat 9/15

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Int'l trip - Leaving this Sat 9/15

Hello all,

Well, I'm all set for my adventure. Leaving Saturday for Stockholm, then to Munich (Octoberfest), Venice, Rome and Paris. I wish I had more time to plan some sites and things to do in each city, but this was a last minute trip that started as a business trip and turned into a vacation as well. I have hotels and travel arrangments taken care of and the rest I guess we'll wing it... Thanks to everyone's trip reports and postings I believe I have a good foundation of what to expect and what to look out for.

That being said, one final question (which may be stupid). I will be flying US Air from Pittsburgh to Philly, then to Stockholm. Will they transfer my luggage from one flight to the next or do I have to pick it up in Philly and go through security again because its an Int'l flight? I would think all of the "security" measures are done in Pittsburgh, but a friend mentioned this to me as they had to do this a couple times (which seemed odd to me).

Thanks again!
jkve2
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 07:04 PM

Since you are flying USAirways for both flights, they'll ticket your luggage straight through to Stockholm. When you get to Philly you just go directly to your next plane with whatever you are carrying on your person.

Remember, however, that on the return you WILL claim your luggage at your first US port, then go through immigration, before going on to your final flight.

Have a great time and don't forget to bring us a trip report!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 07:09 PM

Hi jkve2

We often fly from Pittsburgh to Philly for USAirways European routes. We usually have carry on only, because upon landing in our European destination city we are usually immediately on our way to yet another city or area. If our bags don't land with us, we are then screwed.

So with carry on, we do have to go through security again if we are changing terminals. I don't think we have to when we are in the same terminal.

Upon returning to Philly, we have to do a security check to get our bags on the further flight to Pittsburgh. I think this is a coming home procedure and that you won't really see your bags in Philly, on your way to Stockholm.

This time, we leave 10/10, we are actually driving to Philly. But only because we have to be in NYC the day we get back from Venice.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM

I hope you are staying in Stockholm a couple of nights; then you can check your baggage with less tripidation ... if US Air mislays a bag it gives a little time to get it to your hotel (I'm from Philly so I know about USAir).

If you are NOT staying in Stockholm but simply changing planes there with a couple of hours in between, I advise you to TRY to do carry-on only.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 09:52 PM

another fan of carry-on only...
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information! I plan on doing carry on for the entire trip. Yes we are staying in Stockholm a few nights, basically a couple nights in each city I mentioned. I may have to check the carry on for one of the low-cost airlines I'm using in Europe due to their size restrictions, but nothing I can do about that.

Thanks again and I will do a trip report!