Luggage limits on European flights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure could use some advise...we are flying from London to Copenhagen on BA. We will be taking more luggage (in weight) then is allowed. We don't mind paying the extra charge at all, but, when reading their website, I am confused....will our luggage be on our flight and arrive at the same time we do? I couldn't decipher if it would be placed on a "cargo" flight and would not arrive with us. We're going on a cruise and can't wait for it to arrive. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated...thanks.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 01:23 PM

I'm not sure which BA site you're looking at, but on the US site, under the Excess Baggage page, it mentions that you have the option of having the bag travel on the same flight with you - http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagex/public/en_us

To be sure though, I would give BA a call.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 02:03 PM

Just ensure that no single item weighs more than 30kg. Most British airports will not now not handle any single item over this weight.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 11:16 AM
sandi

According to the BA Excess Baggage, it clearly states that NO UNACCOMPANIED BAGGAGE will be accepted to from the US/UK. So your bags will fly with you. They indicate that bags in excess of allowed checked bags will cost $100/bag. However, I would call BA direct and ascertain when that it through to Copenhagen, or whether you have to pay additional for LHR to Copenhagen.

But you are allowed two (2) bags (though different size for each bag) for each of you at max weight of 70-lbs. each bag (though Walter_Walltotti indicates that this has been lowered to 30Kg or 66-lbs). That provides each person with minimum 130-lbs - I can't imagine what you will be packing to exceed that.

What you don't mention though is whether once you arrive Copenhagen if you have at least a day or two prior boarding your cruise. If you do, and should your bags be delayed for whatever reason, you'd have at least that much pre-cruise time to received any delayed baggage.

Still - I would suggest you contact BA for specifics, but from my reading, your bags should be on the same plane as you are. An alternative would be to ship your excess bags by FedEx, DHL, UPS and the likes, but there has to be somewhere in Copenhagen for them to be received/delivered - the reason I asked whether you'd be staying at a hotel pre-cruise.

Old Nov 24th, 2004, 01:16 PM

It sounds like the OP has only purchased LHR-CPH from BA in which case the intra-European checked baggage allowance of 23kg per passenger in economy class or 30kg per passenger in business class applies, and not the higher transatlantic allowance. I can understand having difficulty meeting the 23kg per person limit especially if you're going on a cruise.

The excess baggage charges for intra-European flights will be priced per extra kg. We were given some leeway for being a bit over.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 01:28 PM
sandi

Patty - thank you... I misread, and it mentions this specific situation on the BA site. If larriola had a thru ticket, they would have had no problem. I'd still, for comparison, check the cost to ship ahead on one of the services indicated above - but larriola still has to have someplace in CPH for the bags to be delivered.