BA New 1 Bag Allowance in Economy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Starting Feb 13, British Airways will allow only one 50lb bag per economy passenger, 2nd bag will be charged $250.

Am I reading this correctly?
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the charge is quite that high (I read 120 GBP for long haul flights), but it does seem there will be one checked bag allowed for the cheapest fare class. A 50 lb bag is pretty huge, that shouldn't be any problem for a tourist, in any case.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 07:58 PM

When you pay for your flight might make a difference as to if you can take 2 bags or one..also the second bag might be less expensive for a while.... if BA has started this, the other airlines will soon do it too.......
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
This would be a disturbing trend. Instead of checking two reasonable sized bags, it would encourage people to use one larger and heavier bag. Not sure what good this accomplishes.

I frequently pack a gym bag in my suitcase and use it to bring home my dirty laundry in checked baggage, while saving my carry-on for purchases I make while on vacation. If I can't do this, I guess I have to bring a larger suitcase, which I would rather not do. I really don't want a fifty pound bag, but I would like two bags even if they add up to much less than fifty pounds.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM

I think it is ridiculous. My daughter was just about to book BA because they allow two 70lb bags when other airlines allow only two 50lb bags. They just lost one sale and hopefully tons of others.

Yes, 50lbs may be enough for a tourist, Christina, but not all passengers are tourists. Students, teachers, missionaries, doctors, immigrants all fly too you know. And check the current exchange rate...120 pounds = $240.00 today.

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 09:58 PM
eri

Another good reason why not to fly British.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 10:04 PM

The poster is wrong.

And before everyone gets het up, they might try reading the rules, which are clearly obtainable at http://www.britishairways.com/travel...k/public/en_gb

Non-domestic intra-European and most intercontinental flights limit economy baggage to 23 kgs, after which excess charges kick in. There's no limit on the number of bags, but there is a limit on the TOTAL weight.

Transatlantic and Nigerian flights give economy passengers two bags at a max of
32 kg each.

Connecting flights on one ticket give passengers the maximum allowance available for any sector throughout the journey.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:09 AM

Thanks for the link flan. However, to find the information to which the poster is referring, you have to click on the link - in blue ink, 'Find out More' - under the advisory 'New baggage policy announced for travel from 13 February 2007' at the top of the page.

I'm afraid I agree with how the OP read the directions.

That said, before anyone rushes to blame BA, consider that their market research departments probably closely analyzed just how much the majority of their discount economy (World Traveller) flyers make a priority (read, are willing to pay as part of the base cost of the ticket) baggage policies in excess of 50 pounds.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:21 AM

I live in the U.S. and I always fly BA to Europe. I pack light so these restrictions are no problem for me, however, when they start charging $5 for alcohol and wine like the U.S. airlines do, they will loose my business.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Wally, theoretical example:

Ticket price, airline A: $100.

Ticket price, airline B: $150.

Airline A charges $5 for drinks and has baggage restrictions of under 50 lbs, Airline B charges $0 for drinks and allows 2 bags of up to 70 lbs.

To which airline would you give your business? Even if airline B, would you not need to determine just how much value you actually ascribe to those 'free' drinks and baggage allowance?
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:38 AM

My father will be booking his BA flight from US to Europe shortly so this concerned me. But I checked the BA website and there is a disclaimer: "*World Traveller customers travelling to or from the US, Canada, Caribbean, Nigeria, Brazil and Mexico will continue to be allowed two checked bags in line with the local government regulations."

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Not true Sue - it is right there for you to read. When I look at the new regulations there is an asterisk beside the one bag limit and directly below it the addendum:

*World Traveller customers travelling to or from the US, Canada, Caribbean, Nigeria, Brazil and Mexico will continue to be allowed two checked bags in line with the local government regulations.

I am suspecting that tracy2cents will be apologizing on this thread any minute now.
To answer your question clark - you are reading it correctly but not completely correctly
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:57 AM

We all know that every airline watches all the competition "members" to see what they do and when one tries to charge more for something the others watch to see how the public responds.

If the tactic is successful then the other airlines immediately follow suit as a rule and that would include charging for drinks...so if and when it happens it is going to be much harder to find a company that isn't doing it.

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:06 AM

Sue xx yy - You mention 70 lb luggage - As a point of interest, which airline allows you to fly from US to an international destination with luggage above 50 lbs, without paying a penalty?
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:10 AM

Good for you robjame, I had indeed overlooked the asterisks (my holiday rushing must be affecting my literacy - or maybe I've lost a few too many neurons to holiday rum and eggnog.... ). So it looks like just about everyone except people flying to or from Australia, NZ, and various Asian countries aren't covered by the policy's longhaul provisions.

That said, since we generally make a break of journey in London before proceeding onto Europe, we are classified as shorthaul customers of BA, and so the policy WILL apply to us.

Re the 70 lb - that was purely a theoretical instance cooked up by yours truly. I was trying to make the point (yes, I know, notwithstanding that clearly my radar is off this morning) that people likely don't make buying decisions purely on policy announcements or even bad service experiences, they consider the net cost and benefits based on all of the features of the service offered, by all of the alternatives available, and at what current market price. If someone can say that more succinctly and more clearly than me (which today should be just about half the planet) please, do give it a go.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:20 AM

robjame--

a selection of airlines allows bags of up to 32kg each, which equals 70.4 lbs. I know Qantas does, for example, in economy. Other airlines only allow 32kg per bag for business and first class passengers.

Liz
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Sue - LOL - pass the eggnog peesh
I think the BA regs as to 50 lb weight restrictions per bag stem from an agreement with baggage handlers in Britain. I believe they apply to all luggage and that there is a $25US cost per bag if above 50 lbs. So if your flight originates in (say) the US and you connect with another flight at (say) Heathrow, even if your carrier did allow more than the 50 lb limit you would be subject to the penelty.
BTW United and AA have 50 lb limits to Europe from the US.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Liz- I read Qantas as being more restrictive for economy to European destinations with a limit of 20kg (44 lbs) per piece. This is as of January 1 2005.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:57 AM

robjame, again kudos to you for picking up on the details. I just checked my own transatlantic airline and the fees you mention do indeed apply for 50 to 70 pound bags in economy, as well as oversize bags, and bags in excess of 2 per customer. By far the nastiest fee applies to more than 2 bags per person, it's 3 to 5 times the overweight or oversize fee.

I haven't checked, but for people travelling on economy tickets but with heavy baggage needs (like the missionaries someone mentioned above, or cannibals attempting to ship said missionaries) it might be cheaper to use air cargo.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
BA is really shooting themselves in the foot on this one. While the very fine print says that 2 bags will still be allowed for coach pax traveling to/from the US and Canada (and other destinations) it does not make clear if each bag can weigh no more than 23kg or if the combined weight must not exceed 23kg (I believe the former.) Nor does the website say what happens if you transfer from a US/Canada flight to an Intra-Europe flight which has the one-bag rule, or if you stop over for a couple of days in the UK (which they really want) before connecting on to Benidorm - would the stopover "extinguish" your 2-bag allowance for the short hop?

Add this to the Feb. 1 doubling of passenger duty fees at UK airports and you've got plenty of reasons not to fly BA and not to fly to/through London or other UK airports.

What I'm dreading is that US airlines will start doing their typical copycat moves and this nonsense will start spreading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -