Must See near Salzburg, Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Salzburg for 3 nights 9/29-10/2/07. What are the must sees? Could we/should we take a day trip to Hallstatt? We are planning on going on the sound of music tour and enjoy hiking and scenery. Also - any recommendations on hotel? We've heard Wolf Dietrich hotel is nice.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:23 PM
ira

Hi BG,

>Could we/should we take a day trip to Hallstatt?

Yes.

You can skip the SoM tour and do an overnight.

>any recommendations on hotel?

What's your budget?

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

We like nice clean hotels and would prefer to spend under $200 US.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Look to see if you can get the Weisses Kreuz in the altstadt. It is in a great location, sparkling clean and well below your budget.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
We were there in April also for 3 or 4 nights.

On the SOM tour:

It's not for everyone, and it's the only bus tour (besides the Boston duck tours - which isn't really a bus) I've ever done... That said, my teenaged daughters and I had a wonderful time. My husband wasn't with us, but he actually would have liked it and is a little jealous he couldn't come. (He is definitely not the Renaissance man Ira is though.) Some men may find it too corny or not like sitting on a tour bus for half a day. Our tour included alpine sledding - don't miss this - great views and scenery, and was really very nice. I don't remember the company we booked, but they advertise themselves to be the only one involved in the actual filming of the movie. A shuttle picked us up at our hotel door and delivered us to a larger tour bus. We returned another day to the Hellbrunn (resting place of the SOM gazebo - photo op) for the trick fountains at the summer palace - pretty, fascinating and fun - not sure how long into September they do this exhibit. We did not see the inside of Hellbrunn as we had come from 4 days in Vienna and had "palaced out" by then.

(We did the regular 1/2 day SOM tour - I hear any more is probably more than you want.) I do also confess to watching the 40th? anniversary edition of the movie in my hotel room later that night including all the trailer documentaries on the real Von Trapp family... maybe do that before the trip for fun...

BTW, the Austrians just don't get why Americans are so obsessed with this movie. I think they find it rather silly. Or so I was told a few times...

We stayed in Salzburg city, but I absolutely loved the surrounding countryside (my favorite of all our travels so far) and would stay there next time - sorry I can't recommend a hotel or town. The Austrian scenery was just incredibly beautiful to me. Sadly, I didn't get to do hiking this trip, but have had friends who did and absolutely loved it. I do plan to go back to do just that - will leave the teenagers home.

My daughters (and it seems all their friends) loved Salzburg city - lots of shopping and cafes and tons of college students when we were there. Shopping and crowded towns areas are not really my thing, and I preferred seeing the gardens (not sure these will look like much in Sept?) and fountains, climbing up to see the Capuchin Monastery and the surrounding view, and visiting the Modern Art Museum. When we visited, there was a 9/11 photography exhibit - really touched us ex-pats from the NYC area. Beautiful cafe with fantastic views from the top of the Moderne - probably pricey - we just had cold drinks and rested.

I don't remember where Hallstatt was. If it's anything like all the hill and lake areas we drove through, perhaps it is worth listening to Ira and skipping the SOM tour for...esp. if you really like hiking and scenery (as do I!) Salzburg city has a lot to offer depending on your interests, but would fall under the category of "touristy" IMHO. Lots of people won't agree I'm sure...

Would love to hear what you decide/do...

Have a great time! Sorry for such a long note - I really love Austria - didn't even mention the pastries yet!!
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Here's another vote for Hallstatt! My husband and I were there last September for one night and it is a beautiful town.

Here are a few of my pictures to give you an idea:
http://tinyurl.com/yvncud

If you could stay the night, I recommend that, but if not, try to get there in the morning. I think that is the prettiest light to see it in.
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 04:17 PM

sherhatfield... I want to go!

Your photos are gorgeous - thanks for sharing.

May I ask where you stayed?

thank you
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 05:07 PM

Wow, what pictures!

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Hi,
We stayed at the Wolf Dietrich hotel couple years ago and loved it. They have a nice spa/surna area and although the pool was quite small, it's nice and modern. The hotel is very nicely located across the river from the downtown area, quiet yet only 10 mins walk to the center. We had the family room which was clean and big enough for the 4 of us.
I would recommand you to go to the Hellbrunn castle (tricky fountain) which we loved especially my 2 boys. Also the Mozart Concert at Stiftskeller St.Peter was very nice. Very affordable IMO but make sure you go an hour earlier to get a good seat. We also loved Burg Hohenwerfen in Werfen (20 mins by car from Salzburg), beautiful setting and the bird show was great. The marionettentheater in Salzburg was our highlight of the trip, at first I bought the tickets because I thought the kids would like it but I found the show so good that even adults would love it too. I have been to a lot of shows in different countries but the marionette show is still at the top of the list. We didn't do the SOM tour but the hotel showed the movie constantly on TV so we could recognize the scenes as we walk around Salzburg anyway...
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 07:59 PM

The nicest hotel in Hallstatt is the Seehotel Gruner Baum. It is located right on the lake and in the town square.

http://www.gruenerbaum.cc/index.php?cid=2&pid=2

The Hotel Zauner is also nice. It is not on the lake but some of the rooms have a lake view.

http://www.zauner.hallstatt.net/index.php?lang=en

For additional info on Hallstatt:

http://www.hallstatt.net/index.php?lang=en-iso-8859-15
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 05:12 AM
ira

Hi BG,

>We like nice clean hotels and would prefer to spend under $200 US.

You can easily stay in Salzburg and Hallstatt for much less.

See my trip report for details:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35014078

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 05:12 AM
ira

Great pix, sher.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 07:48 AM

Ice caves near werfen and salt mines at Hellein are my favorites.

I maintain that the reason the Austrians dislike the Sound of Music is that it reminds them that they succombed to the Nazis without firing a shot.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Sherry, those are lovely photographs. Thanks so much for sharing them. You have convinced me to visit Hallstatt, if only for the day!
Gruezi - thank you very much for the detailed reply. I much prefer gardens and countryside over shopping and crowds as well so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the gardens are still as beautiful as they'd be in spring and summer.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the compliments on the pics! We stayed at the Gruner Baum and it was wonderful. Our room had a really nice balcony overlooking the lake; I just wish we had more time to enjoy it. We also had a really nice dinner in their restaurant.

Here are a couple of pics of our room:
http://tinyurl.com/2xfvpl
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 01:31 PM

Sherry, Thanks for the hotel info and pix - I hope to get to Hallstatt this fall. Your photos are beautiful.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Hi! We were in Austria for two weeks in June>
http://www.epinions.com/content_381403631236

That's my trip report with a link to the pictures. If you love hiking and scenery, why not stay outside the city and then visit by bus? We stayed across from St Gilgen at an idyllic spot called the Gasthof Furberg. Divine! From there, we hiked along a path (the Via Nova) all the way to St Wolfgandg and Strobl. Beautiful! The Wolfgangsee is one of the best lakes to hike around. You can visit Mondsee where the wedding scene was filmed. Outside that, you can see all the other places from SOM on your own on a day trip. It was a 45 min bus ride from St. Gilgen to the Mirabell Palace on bus 150. Easy. Halstatt is a fun trip- we liked the salt mines! Also, grab lunch at the hotel restaurant up there, it's beautiful. Not great hiking in that area. We hiked up the Scharfberg mountain. Tough, but awesome. You have the option of hiking half way and taking the choo-choo the rest. Hiking around Lake Fuschl was also fun. I'm not much of a city person, I love the quaint places. However, Salzburg was fun. I'm just glad we did it on side trips and stayed in the country! When you go, don't miss having lunch at Stiffskellar St Peter. Oldest restaurant in Austria. Delicious food and way cool atmosphere. Do NOT eat up at the castle. YUK! For a good time and great beer, visit the Augustiner Beer Garden! JA!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

LLindaC - I can't find anything on the internet about Gasthof Furberg. Do they have a website?
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 04:30 AM

http://www.fuerberg.at/

We stayed in the top room with the view over the lake. Has to be the best room on the Wolfgangsee! And the food there was amazing.