First Class Ticket on Train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are debating whether to upgrade to a first class ticket on a Virgin travel from the Lake District back into London. The trip takes approximately 4 hours according to the schedule. Is the upgrade worth the extra £30? We will be traveling on a Saturday if that makes any difference.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

I meant on a Virgin TRAIN, not travel. Sorry.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:06 AM

I never know how to answer a question like this for another individual. No one can answer "is it worth it" for you. Of course, like any other train in the world, first class will have nicer cars, roomier and more comfortable seats. Is that worth an extra 30 pounds? It will be for some, it won't mean anything to others. It's a question only you can answer. Some will say the first class cars will get you there in the same amount of time so it isn't worth it. Others will say it is nice to treat yourself to a little luxury. Which way do you feel?
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:21 AM

I always like to compare the cost of the second class ticket to the first class. If I'm already into it for most of the money anyway, then a relatively small percentage incremental increase doesn't seem like a bad deal. If I'm doubling my cost, then I would consider it differently.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

My question was rather vague, wasn't it? Sorry.

What are the differences in comfort levels, amenities, etc. on the train? I have checked the Virgin site and it doesn't go much beyond just "first class treatment."

For those of you who have traveled first class on the train, do you receive complimentary beverages, snacks? Does your seat recline? What makes it first class?
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 08:26 AM
PJKeay

You get bigger seats - 3 across (2+1) rather than the usual 4 across (2+2).

You get about 50% more leg room

Service wise they offer a complementary trolly (coffee, soft drinks , sandwiches etc).

Most services, at the weekend, allow you to upgrade to first class for £10 per person each way.

My suggestion would be - buy the economy ticket, see how crowded and pleasant Economy is. If its fine save the money, if its not upgrade if you can.

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 09:25 AM

If you manage to get the new Pendolino train on Virgin, the first class is really good with comfy seat, airline-style entertainment with free headphone and power point for laptop. You only get free cold snacks and soft drinks on Saturday. But most trains from Glasgow or Carlisle (they are the ones that stop at Oxenholme for Lake District) use 30 year-old rolling stock which aren't as good. £10 supplement may be worthwhile as weekend sees lots of young families on the train and can get crowded. You can upgrade on board, subject to available seats in Weekend First coach (separate from regular 1st class).
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, PJ and Alec. This is helpful, and Oxenholme is where we plan to catch the train back to London.