fires raging in greece

Search

fires raging in greece

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fires raging in greece

It seems like a lot of Peloponesus is up in flames, but can't get much information on it. It's terrible -- with the death toll rising to almost 50 since Friday!

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 08:29 AM

This is terrible!!

I just Googled 'fires in Greece'...and there were many listings....maybe that will help you with an update!
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 08:30 AM

http://news.google.co.uk/news?q=greece&ie=UTF-8
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Yes, this is terrible news - our heartfelt sympathy goes out to everyone involved - a tragedy such as that certainly puts all minor problems into perspective. Thanks for starting the thread and for the updates.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 09:10 AM

I am so sorry for this horrible tragedy to your beautiful counrty and people.

With Sympathy, Joan
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 09:18 AM

Hello Joan

How are you?

Today our sky is not clear but not with cloud. Amazing because we are far south as you know from the mainland and the fires. My father say today at lunchtimes that he can taste it!

It is very bad news and so many peoples die. Unfortunately, the public services are in chaos and have difficulty controlling it and we say again that more government money needs to be used to prepare in advance. For sure, we know it will happen again but nobody prepares for it. This is bad.

thanos
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Hello Thanos. Our heartfelt sympathy to you all out there in Greece. I had no idea until in the last hour I heard how far the fires have spread and how many people have died. We are thinking of you all.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 10:00 AM

I echo what BoonieBear has said.

Thanos, I think you have family in the Peloponnese because you kindly gave me particularly detailed lodging information when I was visiting Tyrins and Mycenae, after contacting them on my behalf.

I hope they are all safe and well.

bill
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Dear Thanos,

I am well but this horrible tragedy has me very upset. My thoughts are with all of you.

Your Dad must have been a very young boy when I lived there or he might not have even been born. Your older cousins up at Hotel Eleni do remember.

My Best, Joan

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Unfortunately a number of these fires are definitely attributable to arson ... in one place 7 fires broke out simultaneously.

Many greeks say this arson is not some kind of twisted political protest but rather enconomic in nature -- these burnt out places then are let out for building new resorts etc!!

On Thorn Tree forum someone wrote about problems in Italy in the past with a similar greed motive, which were addressed with laws forbidden any development on burnt-out areas for a long number of years -- thus eliminating the motive.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Yes, there's definitely an arson/conspiracy theory prevalant in the Greek news (my parents get it on their satellite TV), but CNN seems to be reporting the story briefly as unfortunate wild fires.

Hopefully it will end soon, and there will be more specific news tomorrow...
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 03:18 PM

Joan

You must try and not to be upset but I understand why and your long connection with our island and Greece. It is your island too.

It was my father's Name Day about 10 days ago and to celebrate he and my brothers and me spend the night on Delos. We do this every year on his Name Day. It is very special. He says he feels old now that we have given him a grand daighter.

I think for next year you come back here again and be with us and we will make you smile.

thanos
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Oh how awful. I had no idea this was happening. My brother lived in Greece in the early 80's (in Rafina) and I visited him there and had a magical time. Wonderful country and wonderful people, My prayers are with them.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Yes travelerjan

I agree with every word you say.

thanos
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM
P_M

To all of our Greek friends: Like many people on this board, I also love your country. I've been following your story and hoping this will be over soon. Please be safe.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Our son-in-law, daughter and grandchildren are visiting his parents in the eastern Peloponnese. We spoke with them on Friday and they made no mention of the fires and from what I've seen on the maps, they are relatively far from the worst of the inferno. My biggest concern at the moment is that they are due to fly home on Monday, and I just read that the road to Athens airport has been closed by fire. I suppose I should be satisfied as long as they are safe, but I am selfish and want them home.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM

I just left Greece on Thursday. It broke my heart to hear this news.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 05:44 AM

bill

Thank you for asking about my family on the mainland. They are all OK.

thanos
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

topping for patmike
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 03:10 AM

I feel the same sorrow in deep and feel sorry for the ones lost their lives due to this unfortunate disaster and please accept my condolences for all the family members of the victims and the Greek Nation.

Unfortunatelly seems greedy people are everywhere. Here in Turkey every summer we also suffer from forest fires a lot and hunderds of years old pine forests are turning into ashes and the poor animals are killed. Same reason, to get valuable land by the sea or to have more farm land. Some of the fires accure also due to picnic habbits, left bottles, sigarette buts etc.

Lets hope the fires end soon.

Greetings from Neighbour,
Murat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -