Finish trip in Milan or Como?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2023, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going in mid July, first to Rome and then train to Milan to pick up car and drive to Stresa, then to Lugano. Will be doing plentY of day trips from both places.

So I can either drive to Milan, return car then stay a couple of nights before flying back from MXP.

Alternative is to stay in Como, then drive myself to MXP.

Have limited experience of both places, brief stay in Milan, day trips to Como. As of now I’ve got Milan booked.

I would just walk around Milan, visit cathedral but no interest in Last Supper or any museums. I’m still avoiding indoor dining so extended time indoors is not in the cards.

In Como I’d go up the funicular and do some hikes up there or along the lake. Would still have car so I could do a day trip, maybe even to Milan — I could take train. If I didn’t get enough sunny days in Lugano, I guess I could try to go back to some places such as Monte Generoso, Porlezza, Balcone d’Italia.

I am biased towards outdoors — landscapes, architecture — at this stage because of interest in photography. Used to go to museums all the time.

So that kind of makes me lean towards Como, but I don’t know if driving from Como to MXP could be a hassle when trying to get to tHe airport in time on a weekday morning.
Old Jun 20th, 2023, 06:20 AM

Hello scrb, July is peak holiday time, so the roads can be very busy around Como, particularly at weekends. Once in Como I would return the car and enjoy the boat trips, etc. Then I would look at doing Como to Malpensa by train unless you are leaving early in the morning, in which case I would go the night before.

Last edited by uktravelover; Jun 20th, 2023 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Pressed send before completing reply
Old Jun 30th, 2023, 03:36 AM

Hi scrb11

I would also choose Como as it tends to be less hot and the air is probably a bit better too. Maybe find a hotel near the airport before you leave, because the traffic in the area is enormous in the morning. There are probably also better photo motifs for you on Lake Como.

Have a great trip!
Martin
Old Jun 30th, 2023, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I did have a reservation in Como but I canceled it when the car rental rates were too high.

Now I had second thoughts but it would cost a lot more to find a place in Como, especially with parking, and then to also rent a car for 3 days longer.

So I"m thinking I'm resigned to Milan, since now it's two weeks out.
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 05:41 AM

You can take a day trip to Lago di Como from Milan. The train goes from Milano Centrale to Varenna, a beautiful little town that is a stone's throw from Bellagio, which you can easily reach by frequent ferry. The ride is just a few minutes. Easy peasy. You can also ferry across to Menaggio, another lovely town.

An alternative is to take the train from Milan to the town of Como and then take a ferry ride on the lake to Varenna and Bellagio. That way you would see more of the lake and the towns as well. Or you could take the train one way (it is a scenic ride along the lake to Varenna. Sit on the left) and then take the ferry back. It's all very easy to do.

From Milan you can also take the train to Stresa/Lago Maggiore. The ride is about an hour and a half. It's very beautiful, although IMO not as breathtaking as Lake Como. LMK if you have any questions.

BTW, a car is totally unnecessary on Lake Como since you can get to most places by ferry or train.

P.S. I once went from Bellagio to Malpensa for a flight home by taking the ferry to Como, as described above, then to the airport from Milano Centrale. There are both trains and buses from the station to the airport. Obviously, a flight time that is not too early works best.

Last edited by panecott; Jul 1st, 2023 at 05:45 AM.
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

I've been to Lake Como a couple of times.

But mostly at mid lake and only once to Como as a day trip.

I'm going to Stresa first for a few days and then Lugano, which is so expensive and has poorly-reviewed hotels.

I had tentatively booked a B&B in Como at a good rate but canceled it when rental car rates were crazy. Now they're a little better and I actually saved $200 by rebooking. So that's why I was entertaining Como but probably best to skip it for this trip, too late to change things without paying higher prices for last-minute bookings.

I may still do a day trip, but even in July, weather in the mountains can be less than ideal so I'll play it by ear.

My previous visits to Lake Como were in May and I got hit heavily by hay fever. All those beautiful villas and all the plants which the contessas imported from different parts of the world made it bad for pollen. I would do day trips from Varenna or Menaggio to Bergamo or Lugano and the itchy eyes and runny nose would clear up for a couple of hours, only to return as soon as I returned to Lake Como, at least the mid-lake area.

Old Jul 1st, 2023, 02:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scrb11
Thanks, I did have a reservation in Como but I canceled it when the car rental rates were too high.
So I"m thinking I'm resigned to Milan, since now it's two weeks out.
I love Milan -- its a great city -- no problem with outdoor dining. I did a Milan Greeter tour this last trip there and he was great -- took us to places we had never seen.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 07:07 AM

There wouldn't be big problems with a morning drive from either Lugano or Como to MXP airport as you wouldn't drive in the direction of the main stream. Thousands of workers drive from Italy to Lugano etc., but not many in the opposite direction. But there are trains too, every 30 min from Como (change at either Saronno or Medrisio), every hr from Lugano (direct).
If you stay at a hotel at Lugano (or surroundings), you will most probably get the Ticino Card, a railpass for free ride on all trains and buses in the area (but not for boats and mountain railways/lifts).
Traiins and buses in the whole area run every 30 to 60 minutes, even to remote places. Therefore I think that you will not ned a car.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 07:46 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
If Lake Como, don’t stay in the city of Como, rather stay in Bellagio, Menaggio or Varenna.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
There wouldn't be big problems with a morning drive from either Lugano or Como to MXP airport as you wouldn't drive in the direction of the main stream. Thousands of workers drive from Italy to Lugano etc., but not many in the opposite direction. But there are trains too, every 30 min from Como (change at either Saronno or Medrisio), every hr from Lugano (direct).
If you stay at a hotel at Lugano (or surroundings), you will most probably get the Ticino Card, a railpass for free ride on all trains and buses in the area (but not for boats and mountain railways/lifts).
Traiins and buses in the whole area run every 30 to 60 minutes, even to remote places. Therefore I think that you will not ned a car.
Yeah I realize that too, I didn't appreciate the benefits of the Ticino Card.

But I will be staying in Stresa before Lugano and there, it seems cars could be useful, for instance to go to Orta San Gigulio, Mottarone or take the ferry to Laveno and from there drive south, maybe as far as Angera.

The parking situation in Lugano and to her Ticino cities is difficult. The place I'm staying in will offer a special 27 CHF ticket on exit. So I could potentially arrive there, park and not exit the garage until the day I leave.

But if weather is good, I may drive to some places in Italy not covered by the Ticino Card.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
If Lake Como, don’t stay in the city of Como, rather stay in Bellagio, Menaggio or Varenna.

I've stayed in Menaggio a couple of times and once in Varenna.

That is why I thought I'd stay in Como, do the hike up from the top of the funicular.

But I'm going to stay in Milan instead this time, I didn't make up my mind soon enough and the prices of the lodgings are much higher than when I was thinking about it a few months ago.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 10:13 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"But I'm going to stay in Milan instead this time."

Good choice. We loved Milan. I actually don't understand the negativity toward it. Lots of things to do, great food. Cool to see the mix of old and new. Check out Chapter Two - Four of our 2018 Italy trip. Don't miss the Duomo rooftop. Get timed tickets before you leave for Italy.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/italy-2018/

Old Jul 9th, 2023, 11:43 AM

Logistically, it might be easier to visit Stresa at the end, as it is rather close to MXP.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Could be true. I am flying into FCO and flying out of MXP. Will take train to Milan to pick up car. I guess I could have done it in opposite order.

I'm hoping that Lugano being towards the end of the trip is going to lead to drier weather there.
Old Jul 10th, 2023, 12:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd stay in Milano and use the train to visit the local small towns like Bergamo (alto)
Old Jul 10th, 2023, 01:15 AM

Milan and Como have usually a big more fog than Lugano, Varenna, Locarno, Stresa....
Otherwise there isn't any difference